A Comprehensive Review on The Effects of Olestra
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2020, Volume 26, Issue 2, Pages 1969-1974
AbstractOlestra is known as a fat substitute or chemically derived as sucrose polyester. It’s also known by its brand name Olean. It does not add on calories or cholesterol to the product. It’s also used in food preparation such as potato chips. Originally it's been approved by The Food and Drug Admiration [FDA] for the replacement of fats and oil. It is majorly used to condition dough, as one of many ingredients and as flavouring agent in baking and frying or even generally used as dressing for salad. Olestra has zero calories opted for fat replacement in the various preparations of savory snacks. Nowadays, coronary heart diseases [CHD] are commonly known worldwide and research has proven that the type of our diet contributes to the elevation of blood cholesterol depending on the amount and type of fats consumed. Besides CHD, consumption of fats also accords the growth of cancer like breast, colon and prostate. However, Olestra has a few major drawbacks in playing its role in the human system as it is not absorbed into the human digestive system and henceforth not supplying any nutrition nor energy. Besides that, when consumed with other lipophilic dietary supplements, the absorption of Olestra is affected. This review article highlights in detail about olestra.
- Peters JC, Lawson KD, Middleton SJ, Triebwasser KC. Assessment of the Nutritional Effects of Olestra, a Nonabsorbed Fat Replacement: Summary. The Journal of Nutrition 1997;127:1719S – 1728S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/127.8.1719s.
- Andrews AB, Kaufman NH. Implementing the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child: A Standard of Living Adequate for Development. Greenwood Publishing Group; 1999.
- Hunt R, Zorich NL, Thomson ABR. Overview of Olestra: A New Fat Substitute. Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology 1998;12:193–7. https://doi.org/10.1155/1998/389685.
- Bimal C, Guonong Z. Olestra: A Solution to Food Fat? Food Reviews International 2006;22:245–58. https://doi.org/10.1080/87559120600694705.
- Zorich NL, Jones MB, Kesler JM, Carter SB, Sutton MA, Bayless T. A randomized, double-blind study of the effect of olestra on disease activity in patients with quiescent inflammatory bowel disease. Olestra in IBD Study Group. Am J Med 1997;103:389–99.
- Christophe AB, De Vriese SR, DeVriese S. Fat Digestion and Absorption. The American Oil Chemists Society; 2000.
- National Archives and Records Administration (U.S.). Code of Federal Regulations, Title 41, Public Contracts and Property Management, Chapter 101, Revised As of July 1 2017. Us Independent Agencies and Commissions; 2017.
- Jyothi S, Robin PK, Ganapathy D, Others. Periodontal health status of three different groups wearing temporary partial denture. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2017;10:4339–42.
- Ganapathy D, Sathyamoorthy A, Ranganathan H, Murthykumar K. Effect of Resin Bonded Luting Agents Influencing Marginal Discrepancy in All Ceramic Complete Veneer Crowns. J Clin Diagn Res 2016;10:ZC67–70.
- Venugopalan S, Ariga P, Aggarwal P, Viswanath A. Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis. Niger J Clin Pract 2014;17:260–4.
- Duraisamy R, Krishnan CS, Ramasubramanian H, Sampathkumar J, Mariappan S, Navarasampatti Sivaprakasam A. Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments. Implant Dent 2019;28:289–95.
- Ajay R, Suma K, Ali SA, Kumar Sivakumar JS, Rakshagan V, Devaki V, et al. Effect of Surface Modifications on the Retention of Cement-retained Implant Crowns under Fatigue Loads: An In vitro Study. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 2017;9:S154–60.
- Ranganathan H, Ganapathy DM, Jain AR. Cervical and Incisal Marginal Discrepancy in Ceramic Laminate Veneering Materials: A SEM Analysis. Contemp Clin Dent 2017;8:272–8.
- Ashok V, Nallaswamy D, Benazir Begum S, Nesappan T. Lip Bumper Prosthesis for an Acromegaly Patient: A Clinical Report. J Indian Prosthodont Soc 2014;14:279–82.
- Jain AR, Nallaswamy D, Ariga P, Ganapathy DM. Determination of correlation of width of maxillary anterior teeth using extraoral and intraoral factors in Indian population: A systematic review. World J Dent 2018;9:68–75.
- Selvan SR, Ganapathy D. Efficacy of fifth generation cephalosporins against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus-A review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2016;9:1815–8.
- Subasree S, Murthykumar K, Others. Effect of Aloe Vera in Oral Health-A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2016;9:609–12.
- Vijayalakshmi B, Ganapathy D. Medical management of cellulitis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2016;9:2067–70.
- Ganapathy DM, Kannan A, Venugopalan S. Effect of Coated Surfaces influencing Screw Loosening in Implants: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. World Journal of Dentistry 2017;8:496–502. https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1493.
- Kannan A, Venugopalan S. A systematic review on the effect of use of impregnated retraction cords on gingiva. J Pharm Res 2018.
- Ashok V, Suvitha S. Awareness of all ceramic restoration in rural population. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2016;9:1691–3.
- Basha FYS, Ganapathy D, Venugopalan S. Oral Hygiene Status among Pregnant Women. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2018;11:3099. https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00569.3.
- Lawson KD, Middleton SJ, Hassall CD. Olestra, a Nonabsorbed, Noncaloric Replacement for Dietary Fat: A Review. Drug Metabolism Reviews 1997;29:651–703. https://doi.org/10.3109/03602539709037594.
- Thornquist MD, Kristal AR, Patterson RE, Neuhouser ML, Rock CL, Neumark-Sztainer D, et al. Olestra Consumption Does Not Predict Serum Concentrations of Carotenoids and Fat-Soluble Vitamins in Free-Living Humans: Early Results from the Sentinel Site of the Olestra Post-Marketing Surveillance Study. The Journal of Nutrition 2000;130:1711–8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/130.7.1711.
- Cooper DA, Berry DA, Spendel VA, King D, Kiorpes AL, Peters JC. Olestra dose response on fat-soluble and water-soluble nutrients in the pig. J Nutr 1997;127:1573S – 1588S.
- Daher GC, Cooper DA, Peters JC. Physical or temporal separation of olestra and vitamins A, E and D intake decreases the effect of olestra on the status of the vitamins in the pig. J Nutr 1997;127:1566S – 1572S.
- Peters JC, Lawson KD, Middleton SJ, Triebwasser KC. Assessment of the nutritional effects of olestra, a nonabsorbed fat replacement: introduction and overview. J Nutr 1997;127:1539S – 1546S.
- Aggarwal AM, Camilleri M, Phillips SF, Schlagheck TG, Brown ML, Thomfode GM. Olestra, a nondigestible, nonabsorbable fat. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 1993;38:1009–14. https://doi.org/10.1007/bf01295714.
- Bergholz CM, Jandacek RJ, Thomson ABR. Review of Laboraotory and Clinical Studies of Olestra, a Nonabsorbable Lipid. Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology 1991;5:137–46. https://doi.org/10.1155/1991/208460.
- Azuma TTY, Tsukahara T, Azuma Y. The Effect of a Mixture of Live Lactic Acid Bacteria on Intestinal Gas Production in Pigs. Microbial Ecology in Health and Disease 2001;13:105–10. https://doi.org/10.1080/08910600119621.
- Jones DY, Koonsvitsky BP, Ebert ML, Jones MB, Lin PY, Will BH, et al. Vitamin K status of free-living subjects consuming olestra. Am J Clin Nutr 1991;53:943–6.
- Article View: 2
- PDF Download: 16