Prevalence of various removable functional appliances - an institutional set up
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 2361-2368
AbstractOrthodontic treatment is aimed at improving facial and dental appearances as well as enhancing the relationships of the teeth and skeletal bases to each other.The goal of early treatment is to correct existing or developing skeletal, dentoalveolar and muscular imbalances.Class II malocclusion is one of the most common orthodontic problems.There are a number of modalities available for managing Class II malocclusions. Some of the more common options include extraoral traction appliances, arch expansion appliances, extraction procedures, functional jaw orthopaedic appliances and orthognathic surgery. The most commonly used removable functional appliances are activator, frankel and twin block. The Aim of the study is to find out the prevalence of various removable functional appliances used in SDC. A University-based study was conducted among 32 patients with removable functional appliances in the age group of 5 to 40 years from June 2019 to March 2020. Data collection was done by reviewing the patient records and analysing the data of 32 patients, the Variables collected included the age, gender and the type of removable functional appliance used. The data was entered into Excel tabulation was done, statistical analysis was done using SPSS and Pearson chi-square test. Total 32 patients undergoing removable functional therapy were chosen out of which 14 were females and 18 were males.Twin block was found to be the most prevalent appliance with 62.5% followed by activator (15.63%), frankel (9.38%) and other appliances were 12.5%. Within the limits of this Study, it was concluded that the twin block is the most commonly used removable functional appliance.
2. McNamara JA Jr, Hinton RJ, Hoffman DL. Histologic analysis of temporomandibular joint adaptation to protrusive function in young adult rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta). Am J Orthod. 1982 Oct;82(4):288–98.
4. Kumar DA, Varghese RK, Chaturvedi SS, Agrawal A, Fating C, Makkad RS. Prevalence of Malocclusion Among Children and Adolescents Residing in Orphanages of Bilaspur, Chattishgarh, India. Journal of Advanced Oral Research. 2012 Sep 1;3(3):18–23.
7. Marsico E, Gatto E, Burrascano M, Matarese G, Cordasco G. Effectiveness of orthodontic treatment with functional appliances on mandibular growth in the short term. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011 Jan;139(1):24–36.
9. Cozza P, Baccetti T, Franchi L, De Toffol L, McNamara JA. Mandibular changes produced by functional appliances in Class II malocclusion: A systematic review [Internet]. Vol. 129, American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2006. p. 599.e1–599.e12. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2005.11.010
10. Antonarakis GS, Kiliaridis S. Short-term anteroposterior treatment effects of functional appliances and extraoral traction on class II malocclusion. A meta-analysis. Angle Orthod. 2007 Sep;77(5):907–14.
13. Koretsi V, Zymperdikas VF, Papageorgiou SN, Papadopoulos MA. Treatment effects of removable functional appliances in patients with Class II malocclusion: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Orthod. 2015 Aug;37(4):418–34.
16. Felicita AS. Quantification of intrusive/retraction force and moment generated during en-masse retraction of maxillary anterior teeth using mini-implants: A conceptual approach. Dental Press J Orthod. 2017 Sep;22(5):47–55.
18. Samantha C, Sundari S, Chandrasekhar S, Sivamurty G, Dinesh S. Comparative Evaluation of Two Bis-GMA Based Orthodontic Bonding Adhesives - A Randomized Clinical Trial. J Clin Diagn Res. 2017 Apr;11(4):ZC40–4.
19. Ramesh Kumar KR, Shanta Sundari KK, Venkatesan A, Chandrasekar S. Depth of resin penetration into enamel with 3 types of enamel conditioning methods: a confocal microscopic study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011 Oct;140(4):479–85.
25. Rajeshkumar S, Menon S, Venkat Kumar S, Tambuwala MM, Bakshi HA, Mehta M, et al. Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2019 Aug;197:111531.
26. Gomathi AC, Xavier Rajarathinam SR, Mohammed Sadiq A, Rajeshkumar S. Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line [Internet]. Vol. 55, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2020. p. 101376. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376
27. Panchal V, Jeevanandan G, Subramanian EMG. Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2019 Oct;20(5):467–72.
28. Dua K, Wadhwa R, Singhvi G, Rapalli V, Shukla SD, Shastri MD, et al. The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress. Drug Dev Res. 2019 Sep;80(6):714–30.
29. Ramakrishnan M, Dhanalakshmi R, Subramanian EMG. Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review. Saudi Dent J. 2019 Apr;31(2):165–72.
30. Ezhilarasan D, Apoorva VS, Ashok Vardhan N. Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells. J Oral Pathol Med. 2019 Feb;48(2):115–21.
31. Duraisamy R, Krishnan CS, Ramasubramanian H, Sampathkumar J, Mariappan S, Navarasampatti Sivaprakasam A. Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments. Implant Dent. 2019 Jun;28(3):289–95.
32. Rajeshkumar S, Kumar SV, Ramaiah A, Agarwal H, Lakshmi T, Roopan SM. Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells. Enzyme Microb Technol. 2018 Oct;117:91–5.
33. Varghese SS, Ramesh A, Veeraiyan DN. Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students. J Dent Educ. 2019 Apr;83(4):445–50.
34. Deogade S, Gupta P, Ariga P. Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study [Internet]. Vol. 9, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry. 2018. p. 122. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18
37. Samuel SR, Acharya S, Rao JC. School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial. J Public Health Dent. 2020 Jan;80(1):51–60.
38. Mehta M, Deeksha, Tewari D, Gupta G, Awasthi R, Singh H, et al. Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases. Chem Biol Interact. 2019 Aug 1;308:206–15.
39. J PC, Marimuthu T, C K, Devadoss P, Kumar SM. Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2018 Aug;20(4):531–4.
41. Malli Sureshbabu N, Selvarasu K, V JK, Nandakumar M, Selvam D. Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases. Case Rep Dent. 2019 Jan 22;2019:7046203.
42. Rajendran R, Kunjusankaran RN, Sandhya R, Anilkumar A, Santhosh R, Patil SR. Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study [Internet]. Vol. 19, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada. 2019. p. 1–10. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61
43. Jeevanandan G, Govindaraju L. Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial [Internet]. Vol. 19, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry. 2018. p. 273–8. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6
44. Menon S, Ks SD, Santhiya R, Rajeshkumar S, S VK. Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism [Internet]. Vol. 170, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2018. p. 280–92. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006
45. Vishnu Prasad S, Kumar M, Ramakrishnan M, Ravikumar D. Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India. Spec Care Dentist. 2018 Jan;38(1):58–9.
46. Wahab PUA, Madhulaxmi M, Senthilnathan P, Muthusekhar MR, Vohra Y, Abhinav RP. Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018 Jun;76(6):1160–4.
47. Prabakar J, John J, Arumugham IM, Kumar RP, Srisakthi D. Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial. Contemp Clin Dent. 2018 Sep;9(Suppl 2):S233–9.
49. Woźniak K, Piątkowska D, Szyszka-Sommerfeld L, Buczkowska-Radlińska J. Impact of functional appliances on muscle activity: a surface electromyography study in children. Med Sci Monit. 2015 Jan 20;21:246–53.
50. Vijayashree Priyadharsini J. In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens. J Periodontol. 2019 Dec;90(12):1441–8.
51. Ramesh A, Varghese S, Jayakumar ND, Malaiappan S. Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study. J Periodontol. 2018 Oct;89(10):1241–8.
52. Mathew MG, Samuel SR, Soni AJ, Roopa KB. Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …. Clin Oral Investig [Internet]. 2020; Available from: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9
54. Pc J, Marimuthu T, Devadoss P. Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res [Internet]. 2018; Available from: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863
55. Ramadurai N, Gurunathan D, Samuel AV, Subramanian E, Rodrigues SJL. Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial. Clin Oral Investig. 2019 Sep;23(9):3543–50.
56. Schott TC, Schlipf C, Glasl B, Schwarzer CL, Weber J, Ludwig B. Quantification of patient compliance with Hawley retainers and removable functional appliances during the retention phase [Internet]. Vol. 144, American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2013. p. 533–40. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2013.04.020
58. Felicita A, Shanthasundari KK, Chandrasekar S. Determination of craniofacial relation among the subethnic Indian population: A modified approach - (Sagittal relation) [Internet]. Vol. 23, Indian Journal of Dental Research. 2012. p. 305. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.102210
59. Rubika J, Sumathi Felicita A, Sivambiga V. Gonial Angle as an Indicator for the Prediction of Growth Pattern [Internet]. Vol. 6, World Journal of Dentistry. 2015. p. 161–3. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1334
64. Divya S, Kumar HCK, Shetty K. Effectiveness of functional regulator II appliance in producing skeletal and dental changes and its permanence in class II patients compared to a control group: A retrospective cephalometric study [Internet]. Vol. 9, Journal of International Oral Health. 2017. p. 269. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/jioh.jioh_223_17
67. O’Brien K, Wright J, Conboy F, Chadwick S, Connolly I, Cook P, et al. Effectiveness of early orthodontic treatment with the twin-block appliance: a multicenter, randomized, controlled trial. Part 2: psychosocial effects [Internet]. Vol. 124, American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2003. p. 488–94. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2003.06.001
69. Pollock HC. Modification of the fixed removable type of orthodontic appliance [Internet]. Vol. 16, International Journal of Orthodontia, Oral Surgery and Radiography. 1930. p. 737–43. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0099-6963(30)90472-3
70. Ws K, Khalil WS, Department of Orthodontics, faculty of Dentistry, University of Khartoum, Khartoum, et al. Immediate Effect of Twin Block Appliance on the Airway on a Sample of Patients with Class II division 1 Malocclusion on Skeletal II Base [Internet]. International Journal of Dentistry and Oral Science. 2017. p. 464–70. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.19070/2377-8075-1700091
- Article View: 23
- PDF Download: 24