A Retrospective Evaluation Of Type Of Impression Technique Used In Complete Denture Fabrication By Dental Students
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 3185-3193
AbstractPurpose: The aim of this study was to retrospectively evaluate the type of impression technique used in complete denture fabrication among dental students.
Materials And Method: A total of 510 data entries were taken, duplicate and missing entries were omitted. So a total of 484 entries were evaluated. The data was collected from patient records in Saveetha Dental College, over a period of one year. The evaluation was based on the technique used in primary impression by the dental students for complete denture fabrication.
Statistical Analysis:The results of the study were subjected to statistical analysis. Data analysis was done using SPSS software version 23.0. Frequency evaluation and Chi-square test was done to evaluate the most frequently used technique used to fabricate complete denture.
Results: It was found that about 47.2% was using mucocompressive technique, 37.5% was using mucostatic impression technique and 15.3% was using selective pressure technique.
Conclusion:The present study concluded that most of the dental students have preferred to use mucocompressive technique for denture fabrication.
- Ajay, R. et al. (2017) ‘Effect of surface modifications on the retention of cement-retained implant crowns under fatigue loads: An In vitro study’, Journal of Pharmacy And Bioallied Sciences, p. 154. doi: 10.4103/jpbs.jpbs_146_17.
- Ariga, P. et al. (2018) ‘Determination of Correlation of Width of Maxillary Anterior Teeth using Extraoral and Intraoral Factors in Indian Population: A Systematic Review’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 68–75. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1509.
- Ashok, V. et al. (2014) ‘Lip Bumper Prosthesis for an Acromegaly Patient: A Clinical Report’, The Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, pp. 279–282. doi: 10.1007/s13191-013-0339-6.
- Ashok, V. and Suvitha, S. (2016) ‘Awareness of all ceramic restoration in rural population’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(10), pp. 1691–1693.
- Basha, F. Y. S., Ganapathy, D. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘Oral Hygiene Status among Pregnant Women’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3099. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00569.3.
- Basker, R. M. and Davenport, J. C. (2009) Prosthetic Treatment of the Edentulous Patient. John Wiley & Sons.
- Boucher, C. O. (2004) ‘Complete denture prosthodontics—The state of the art’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 309–315. doi: 10.1016/j.prosdent.2004.05.017.
- Denen, H. E. (1952) ‘Impressions for full dentures’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 737–745. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(52)90102-9.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- DeVan, M. M. (1952) ‘Basic principles in impression making’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 26–35. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(52)90007-3.
- Drago, C. J. (2003) ‘A retrospective comparison of two definitive impression techniques and their associated postinsertion adjustments in complete denture prosthodontics’, Journal of Prosthodontics: Implant, Esthetic, and Reconstructive Dentistry, pp. 192–197. doi: 10.1016/s1059-941x(03)00082-2.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Filler, W. H. (1971) ‘Modified impression technique for hyperplastic alveolar ridges’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 609–612. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(71)90122-3.
- Frankewicz, C. A. and Gobby, B. G. (1951) ‘An impression procedure’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 648–661. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(51)90003-0.
- Gambhir, R. et al. (2018) ‘Hepatitis C: Knowledge and awareness of private dental practitioners of a tricity in India’, Journal of Education and Health Promotion, p. 7. doi: 10.4103/jehp.jehp_34_17.
- Ganapathy, D. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of Resin Bonded Luting Agents Influencing Marginal Discrepancy in All Ceramic Complete Veneer Crowns’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 10(12), pp. ZC67–ZC70.
- Ganapathy, D. M., Kannan, A. and Venugopalan, S. (2017) ‘Effect of Coated Surfaces influencing Screw Loosening in Implants: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 496–502. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1493.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Hassel, A. J. et al. (2006) ‘Factors associated with oral health-related quality of life in institutionalized elderly’, Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, pp. 9–15. doi: 10.1080/00016350500326211.
- Hujoel, P. P. (2004) ‘Endpoints in periodontal trials: the need for an evidence-based research approach’, Periodontology 2000, pp. 196–204. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0757.2004.03681.x.
- Hung, H.-C., Colditz, G. and Joshipura, K. J. (2005) ‘The association between tooth loss and the self-reported intake of selected CVD-related nutrients and foods among US women’, Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, pp. 167–173. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.2005.00200.x.
- Hyde, T. P., Paul Hyde, T. and Fraser McCord, J. (1999) ‘Survey of prosthodontic impression procedures for complete dentures in general dental practice in the United Kingdom’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 295–299. doi: 10.1016/s0022-3913(99)70272-6.
- Jain, A., Ranganathan, H. and Ganapathy, D. (2017) ‘Cervical and incisal marginal discrepancy in ceramic laminate veneering materials: A SEM analysis’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 272. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_156_17.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Jyothi, S. et al. (2017) ‘Periodontal Health Status of Three Different Groups Wearing Temporary Partial Denture’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 4339. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2017.00795.8.
- Kakatkar, V. R. (2012) ‘Complete Denture Impression Techniques Practiced by Private Dental Practitioners: A Survey’, The Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society. doi: 10.1007/s13191-012-0146-5.
- Kannan, A. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘A systematic review on the effect of use of impregnated retraction cords on gingiva’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 2121. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00393.1.
- Kubalek, M. V. and Buffington, B. C. (1966) ‘Impressions by the use of subatmospheric pressure’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 213–223. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(66)90076-x.
- Levin, B. and Sauer, J. L. (1969) ‘Results of a survey of complete denture procedures taught in American and Canadian dental schools’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 171–177. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(69)90244-3.
- Mack, F. et al. (2003) ‘Prosthodontic status among old adults in Pomerania related to income, education level, and general health (results of the Study of Health in Pomerania, (SHIP)’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, p. 590. doi: 10.1016/j.prosdent.2003.08.018.
- Makzoumé, J. E. (2004) ‘Morphologic comparison of two neutral zone impression techniques: A pilot study’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 563–568. doi: 10.1016/j.prosdent.2004.09.010.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Massad, J. (2012) ‘Complete Denture Esthetics’, Contemporary Esthetic Dentistry, pp. 560–574. doi: 10.1016/b978-0-323-06895-6.00024-4.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- McCord, J. F. and Grant, A. A. (2000) ‘Impression making’, British Dental Journal, pp. 484–492. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.4800516.
- McGuckin, R. S. (1989) ‘Essentials of complete denture prosthodontics’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 522–523. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(89)90031-0.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Nowjack-Raymer, R. E. and Sheiham, A. (2007) ‘Numbers of Natural Teeth, Diet, and Nutritional Status in US Adults’, Journal of Dental Research, pp. 1171–1175. doi: 10.1177/154405910708601206.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Selvan, S. R. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Efficacy of fifth generation cephalosporins against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus-A review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1815. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00369.3.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Subasree, S., Murthykumar, K. and Dhanraj (2016) ‘Effect of Aloe Vera in Oral Health-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 609. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00116.5.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Venugopalan, S. et al. (2014) ‘Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis’, Nigerian journal of clinical practice, 17(2), pp. 260–264.
- Vig, R. G. and Smith, R. C. (1972) ‘Applied plaster impressions for maxillary complete dentures’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 586–590. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(72)90304-6.
- Vijayalakshmi, B. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Medical management of cellulitis’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 2067. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00422.4.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Article View: 26
- PDF Download: 29