A Retrospective Study on Partial Edentulism Of Kennedy's Class Ii Classification Based on Age and Arch
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 3207-3214
AbstractThe aim of the study is to assess the analysis of partial edentulism of Kennedy's Class II among different age groups.
Materials and Methods: A retrospective study was conducted among partial edentulism patients.Data collection was done by reviewing 86,000 patient’s records between june 2019 and march 2020. The parameters assessed were age, arches of Kennedy's Class II classification. The collected data were tabulated in excel sheet and imported to SPSS version 20.Descriptive statistics and Chi square test was used to determine the association between the variables.
Results: In the present study, the most common age group among 60 years (34.7%). Kennedy’s Class II was more prevalent in mandibular arch (50.8%). There is no significant association between age of the patients and site with Kennedys class II (p>0.05).
Conclusion: From the study we can conclude that Kennedy's class II partial edentulism was more prevalent at the age group of 60 years and above. The most affected arch was the mandibular arch. There is no significant association between age and site at which Kennedy class II was prevalent.
- Abdurahiman, V. T., Abdul Khader, M. and Jolly, S. J. (2013) ‘Frequency of Partial Edentulism and Awareness to Restore the Same: A Cross Sectional Study in the Age Group of 18–25 Years Among Kerala Student Population’, The Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, pp. 461–465. doi: 10.1007/s13191-012-0246-2.
- Al-Shammari, K. F. et al. (2006) ‘Reasons for tooth extraction in Kuwait’, Medical principles and practice: international journal of the Kuwait University, Health Science Centre, 15(6), pp. 417–422.
- Anjum, A. S., Ganapathy, D. and Kumar, K. (2019) ‘Knowledge of the awareness of dentists on the management of burn injuries on the face’, Drug Invention Today, 11(9). Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kiran_Pandurangan2/publication/337223550_Knowledge_of_the_awareness_of_dentists_on_the_management_of_burn_injuries_on_the_face/links/5dcbff5fa6fdcc5750470755/Knowledge-of-the-awareness-of-dentists-on-the-management-of-burn-injuries-on-the-face.pdf.
- Arbabi, R., Ahmadian, L. and Shrifi, E. (2007) ‘A simplified classification system for partial edentulism. A theoretical explanation’, Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, 7(2), pp. 85–87.
- Ariga, P. et al. (2018) ‘Determination of Correlation of Width of Maxillary Anterior Teeth using Extraoral and Intraoral Factors in Indian Population: A Systematic Review’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 68–75. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1509.
- Ashok, V. et al. (2014) ‘Lip Bumper Prosthesis for an Acromegaly Patient: A Clinical Report’, Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, 14(Suppl 1), pp. 279–282.
- Basha, F. Y. S., Ganapathy, D. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘Oral Hygiene Status among Pregnant Women’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3099. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00569.3.
- Bharathi, M. et al. (2014) ‘Partial Edentulism based on Kennedy’s classifcation: an epidemiological study’, The journal of contemporary dental practice, 15(2), pp. 229–231.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Devishree, R. A., Sangeetha, S. and Jain, A. R. (2018) ‘Prevalence of partial edentulism according to Kennedy’s classification based on age, gender, and arch’, Drug Invention Today, 10(1), pp. 108–110.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ehikhamenor, E. E. et al. (2010) ‘Types of removable prostheses requested by patients who were presented to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital Dental Clinic’, Journal of dentistry and oral hygiene, 2(2), pp. 15–18.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Effect of Resin Bonded Luting Agents Influencing Marginal Discrepancy in All Ceramic Complete Veneer Crowns’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2016/21447.9028.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Inchara, R., Ganapathy, D. and Kumar, P. K. (2019) ‘Preference of antibiotics in pediatric dentistry’, Drug Invent Today, 11, pp. 1495–1498.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Jyothi, S. et al. (2017) ‘Periodontal Health Status of Three Different Groups Wearing Temporary Partial Denture’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 4339. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2017.00795.8.
- Lone, M. A., Shah, S. A. and Mir, S. (2019) ‘Pattern of partial edentulism based on Kennedys classification among dental patients in Kashmir: retrospective study’. Available at: http://www.oraljournal.com/pdf/2019/vol5issue2/PartD/5-2-18-277.pdf.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- McGarry, T. J. et al. (2002) ‘Classification system for partial edentulism’, Journal of prosthodontics: official journal of the American College of Prosthodontists, 11(3), pp. 181–193.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Muneeb, A., Khan, B. M. and Jamil, B. (2013) ‘Causes and pattern of partial edentulism/exodontia and its association with age and gender: semi rural population, Baqai Dental college, Karachi, Pakistan’, International Dental Journal of students research, 1, pp. 13–18.
- Naveed, H. et al. (2011) ‘Patterns of partial edentulism among armed forces personnel reporting at Armed Forces Institute of Dentistry Pakistan’, Pakistan Oral and Dental Journal, 31. Available at: https://go.gale.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA265115589&sid=googleScholar&v=2.1&it=r&linkaccess=abs&issn=10128700&p=HRCA&sw=w.
- [No title] (no date). Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kiran_Pandurangan2/publication/335523804_Prevalence_of_toothpaste_swallowing_habit_in_children_between_the_age_group_of_3_and_5_years/links/5d6a753da6fdcc547d6e8576/Prevalence-of-toothpaste-swallowing-habit-in-children-between-the-age-group-of-3-and-5-years.pdf (Accessed: 1 July 2020).
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pandurangan, K., Veeraiyan, D. and Nesappan, T. (2020) ‘In vitro evaluation of fracture resistance and cyclic fatigue resistance of computer-aided design-on and hand-layered zirconia crowns following cementation on epoxy dies’, The Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, p. 90. doi: 10.4103/jips.jips_222_19.
- Patel, J. Y. et al. (2014) ‘Assessment of Partially edentulous patients based on Kennedy’s classification and its relation with Gender Predilection’, International Journal of Scientific Study, 2(6), pp. 32–36.
- Patel, J. Y., Vohra, M. Y. and Hussain, J. M. (2014) ‘Assessment of Partially edentulous patients based on Kennedy’s classification and its relation with Gender Predilection’, International Journal of. Available at: http://asnanportal.com/images/edentolous_pt.pdf.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Peltzer, K. et al. (2014) ‘Prevalence of loss of all teeth (edentulism) and associated factors in older adults in China, Ghana, India, Mexico, Russia and South Africa’, International journal of environmental research and public health, 11(11), pp. 11308–11324.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ramya, G., Pandurangan, K. and Ganapathy, D. (2019) ‘Correlation between anterior crowding and bruxism-related parafunctional habits’, Drug Invention Today, 12(10). Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kiran_Pandurangan2/publication/337223674_Correlation_between_anterior_crowding_and_bruxism-related_parafunctional_habits/links/5dcc083a92851c81804bf0fd/Correlation-between-anterior-crowding-and-bruxism-related-parafunctional-habits.pdf.
- Rana, S. B. et al. (2018) ‘Patterns of partial edentulism based on Kennedy’s classification among patients reporting to Nepal Medical College and Teaching Hospital’, Journal of Kathmandu Medical College, 17(4), pp. 153–157.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Scholar, P. G. (2017) ‘Partial Edentulism and its Association with Age and Gender-A Research Article’, International journal of engineering science, 14883.
- Selvan, S. R. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Efficacy of fifth generation cephalosporins against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus-A review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1815. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00369.3.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Shree, Y., Kumar, K. and Ganapathy, D. (no date) [No title]. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kiran_Pandurangan2/publication/339873903_Awareness_of_basic_life_support_among_dental_students/links/5e69b30e458515c5de628420/Awareness-of-basic-life-support-among-dental-students.pdf (Accessed: 1 July 2020).
- Shubita, M. (2015) ‘EVALUATION OF PARTIAL EDENTULISM BASED ON KENNEDY’S CLASSIFICATION AND ITS RELATION WITH AGE AND GENDER’, Pakistan Oral & Dental Journal, 35(4). Available at: http://applications.emro.who.int/imemrf/Pak_Oral_Dent_J/Pak_Oral_Dent_J_2015_35_4_750_752.pdf.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Stratton, R. J. and Wiebelt, F. J. (1988) An Atlas of Removable Partial Denture Design. Quintessence Publishing (IL).
- Subasree, S., Murthykumar, K. and Dhanraj (2016) ‘Effect of Aloe Vera in Oral Health-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 609. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00116.5.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Venugopalan, S. et al. (2014) ‘Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis’, Nigerian journal of clinical practice, 17(2), pp. 260–264.
- Vijayalakshmi, B. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Medical management of cellulitis’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 2067. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00422.4.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Zaigham, A. M. and Muneer, M. U. (2010) ‘Pattern of partial edentulism and its association with age and gender’, Pakistan oral & dental journal, 30(1). Available at: http://search.proquest.com/openview/13711dba575e9848f8d867781716c224/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=616533.
- Article View: 76
- PDF Download: 85