Dental Caries Among Children Of Age 6- 12 Years Old Visiting A Dental Institution - A Retrospective Study
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 3363-3370
AbstractIntroduction: Dental caries is the most common type of oral health problem globally. Despite scientific advance and the fact that caries is preventable, the disease continues to be a major public health problem. In developing countries like India, changing lifestyle and dietary patterns increase the incidence of caries. Dental caries are known to have multifactorial etiology with a number of variables that influence the prevalence of the condition. It refers to the demineralisation of the tooth by the bacteria which occurs when dental plaque adheres to tooth surfaces and becomes colonized by the bacteria.
Aim: The aim of this study is to determine the prevalence of dental caries among children less than 12 years.
Materials and methods: A total of 4038 patients were retrospectively reviewed from June 2019- March 2020 and included in the study. Demographic details like age, gender and dental status of all the patients were recorded. All the data were entered in the excel sheet. Data was analysed by SPSS software. Chi square test was used to find association between the study variables, where P<0.05 was considered statistically significant.
Results: Among the 4038 study subjects of which 2274 were boys and 1764 girls. The prevalence of dental caries is more among 10 years old children (68%) with boy predilection (69%). Mean DMFT score of the population was 4.22. The prevalence of dental caries and age groups were statistically significant ( p < 0.05).
Conclusion: This study emphasises the need for treating dental caries at its earliest stage and parents should be aware of caries preventive measures for their children.
- Ashok Kumar, M. D. and Gheena, S. (2015) ‘Incidence of dry socket after third molar extraction’, Research journal of pharmaceutical, biological and chemical sciences, 7(7), pp. 451–452.
- Chakraborthy, A. et al. (2014) ‘Antioxidant and pro-oxidant activity of Vitamin C in oral environment’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 25(4), pp. 499–504.
- Cheng, Y.-H. et al. (2019) ‘Prevalence of dental caries and its association with body mass index among school-age children in Shenzhen, China’, BMC oral health, 19(1), p. 270.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dhar, V. and Bhatnagar, M. (2009) ‘Dental caries and treatment needs of children (6-10 years) in rural Udaipur, Rajasthan’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 256. doi: 10.4103/0970-9290.57352.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Garkoti, P. D. et al. (2015) ‘PREVALENCE OF DENTAL CARIES AMONG PRIMARY SCHOOL CHILDREN OF HALDWANI : A CROSS SECTIONAL STUDY’, Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences, 4(41), pp. 7096–7100.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019a) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species–mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & Experimental Toxicology, pp. 694–702. doi: 10.1177/0960327119839173.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019b) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Goel, R. et al. (2015) ‘Oral hygiene practices and dental caries prevalence among 12 and 15 years school children in Ambala, Haryana -A cross-sectional study’, Journal of Clinical and Experimental Dentistry, pp. e374–e379. doi: 10.4317/jced.52303.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Gupta, V. and Ramani, P. (2016) ‘Histologic and immunohistochemical evaluation of mirror image biopsies in oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral biology and craniofacial research, 6(3), pp. 194–197.
- Hannah, R. et al. (2018) ‘Awareness about the use, Ethics and Scope of Dental Photography among Undergraduate Dental Students Dentist Behind the lens’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1012. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00189.0.
- Hebbal, M., Ankola, A. and Metgud, S. (2012) ‘Caries risk profile of 12 year old school children in an Indian city using Cariogram’, Medicina Oral Patología Oral y Cirugia Bucal, pp. e1054–e1061. doi: 10.4317/medoral.17880.
- Hegde, D. M. N. et al. (2011) ‘Prevalence of Dental Caries in Anterior Teeth in South Canara Population- a Three Year Epidemiological Study’, Indian Journal of Applied Research, pp. 32–34. doi: 10.15373/2249555x/feb2014/127.
- Hema Shree, K. et al. (2019) ‘Saliva as a Diagnostic Tool in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma - a Systematic Review with Meta Analysis’, Pathology oncology research: POR, 25(2), pp. 447–453.
- Jangid, K. et al. (2015) ‘Ankyloglossia with cleft lip: A rare case report’, Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, 19(6), pp. 690–693.
- Jayaraj, G. et al. (2015) ‘Inter-observer agreement in grading oral epithelial dysplasia – A systematic review’, Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Medicine, and Pathology, pp. 112–116. doi: 10.1016/j.ajoms.2014.01.006.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Joshi, N. et al. (2013) ‘Prevalence, severity and related factors of dental caries in school going children of vadodara city - an epidemiological study’, Journal of international oral health : JIOH, 5(4), pp. 35–39.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kalra, S. et al. (2011) ‘Change in dental caries status over 2 years in children of Panchkula, Haryana: A longitudinal study’, Journal of International Society of Preventive & Community Dentistry, 1(2), pp. 57–59.
- Karunakaran, R. et al. (2014) ‘Prevalence of dental caries among school-going children in Namakkal district: A cross-sectional study’, Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences, 6(Suppl 1), pp. S160–1.
- Mahejabeen, R. et al. (2006) ‘Dental caries prevalence among preschool children of Hubli: Dharwad city’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 24(1), pp. 19–22.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mandal, S. et al. (2015) ‘Assessment of oral health status of Santal (tribal) children of West Bengal’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 33(1), pp. 44–47.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Nelson, S. et al. (2010) ‘Dental Caries and Enamel Defects in Very Low Birth Weight Adolescents’, Caries Research, pp. 509–518. doi: 10.1159/000320160.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Phipps, K. R. et al. (2012) ‘Prevalence and severity of dental caries among American Indian and Alaska Native preschool children’, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, pp. 208–215. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-7325.2012.00331.x.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2020) ‘Prevalence and Comparison of Dental Caries experience among 5 to 12 year old school children of Chandigarh using dft/ DMFT and SiC Index: A Cross-sectional study’, Journal of family medicine and primary care, 9(2), pp. 819–825.
- Pratha, A. A. and Gheena, S. (2019) ‘Patterns and Distribution of Dental Caries and Dental Fluorosis in School Children of Sivakasi’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, 10(3), p. 85.
- Premkumar, J. et al. (2014) ‘Detection of species diversity in oral candida colonization and anti-fungal susceptibility among non-oral habit adult diabetic patients’, Journal of natural science, biology, and medicine, 5(1), pp. 148–154.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Rao, A., Sequeira, S. P. and Peter, S. (1999) ‘Prevalence of dental caries among school children of Moodbidri’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 17(2), pp. 45–48.
- Sachdev, J., Bansal, K. and Chopra, R. (2016) ‘Effect of Comprehensive Dental Rehabilitation on Growth Parameters in Pediatric Patients with Severe Early Childhood Caries’, International journal of clinical pediatric dentistry, 9(1), pp. 15–20.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Saravanan, S. et al. (2008) ‘Caries prevalence and treatment needs of rural school children in Chidambaram Taluk, Tamil Nadu, South India’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 186. doi: 10.4103/0970-9290.42948.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Sherlin, H. et al. (2015) ‘Expression of CD 68, CD 45 and human leukocyte antigen-DR in central and peripheral giant cell granuloma, giant cell tumor of long bones, and tuberculous granuloma: An immunohistochemical study’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 295. doi: 10.4103/0970-9290.162872.
- Sivaramakrishnan, S. M. and Ramani, P. (2015) ‘Study on the Prevalence of Eruption Status of Third Molars in South Indian Population’, Biology and Medicine. doi: 10.4172/0974-8369.1000245.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Sridharan, G., Ramani, P. and Patankar, S. (2017) ‘Serum metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutics, p. 0. doi: 10.4103/jcrt.jcrt_1233_16.
- S, S. et al. (2017) ‘Interrelationship between obesity and dental caries- a pilot study’, International Journal of Current Advanced Research, pp. 3063–3065. doi: 10.24327/ijcar.2017.3065.0182.
- Subramanyam, D. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of salivary malondialdehyde levels as a marker of lipid peroxidation in early childhood caries’, European journal of dentistry, 12(1), pp. 67–70.
- Swathy, S., Gheena, S. and L, S. V. (2015) ‘Prevalence of pulp stones in patients with history of cardiac diseases’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 8(12), pp. 1625–1628.
- Thangaraj, S. V. et al. (2016) ‘Molecular Portrait of Oral Tongue Squamous Cell Carcinoma Shown by Integrative Meta-Analysis of Expression Profiles with Validations’, PloS one, 11(6), p. e0156582.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Article View: 69
- PDF Download: 59