Knowledge and Practise of Hand Wash Hygiene Among Dentists
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 3454-3466
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Hand hygiene is a key method used to reduce the danger of infection and its spread. In the modern world hand hygiene includes hand cleaning, disinfection and surgical hand scrubbing. The aim of this study is to analyse the knowledge and practise of hand wash hygiene among dentists.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: A descriptive cross sectional survey was conducted among 118 dentists through a self administered questionnaire from march - april 2020. The responses were collected, tabulated in excel sheet and analysed using SPSS software. Chi square test was used to analyze the level of knowledge on hand hygiene among dentists with statistical significance of P< 0.05.
RESULTS: 58.72% Of the participants are aware of hand hygiene practices. 71.569% practise hand hygiene practises before and after procedure. 55.96% received formal training in hand hygiene in the last 3 years.
CONCLUSION: The overall knowledge on hand hygiene tends to be moderate among dentists. From the present study, female dentists had good knowledge on hand hygiene and its practices compared to males.
- Abitha, T. and Santhanam, A. (2019) ‘Correlation between bizygomatic and maxillary central incisor width for gender identification’, Brazilian Dental Science, pp. 458–466. doi: 10.14295/bds.2019.v22i4.1775.
- Ahad, M. and Gheena, S. (2016) ‘Awareness, attitude and knowledge about evidence based dentistry among the dental practitioner in Chennai city’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1863. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00380.2.
- Ariga, P. et al. (2018) ‘Determination of correlation of width of Maxillary Anterior Teeth using Extraoral and Intraoral Factors in Indian Population: A systematic review’, World journal of dentistry, 9(1), pp. 68–75.
- Basha, F. Y. S., Ganapathy, D. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘Oral hygiene status among pregnant women’, Journal of advanced pharmaceutical technology & research, 11(7), p. 3099.
- Bjerke, N. B. (2004) ‘The evolution: Handwashing to hand hygiene guidance’, Critical care nursing quarterly, 27(3), pp. 295–307.
- Boyce, J. M. and Pittet, D. (2002) ‘Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings: Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force’, Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology, pp. S3–S40. doi: 10.1086/503164.
- Chandrasekar, R. et al. (2020) ‘Development and validation of a formula for objective assessment of cervical vertebral bone age’, Progress in orthodontics, 21(1), p. 38.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Fluent, M. T. (2013) ‘Hand hygiene in the dental setting: reducing the risk of infection’, The Compendium of continuing education in dentistry, 34(8), pp. 624–627.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gunasekaran, G. and Abilasha, R. (2016) ‘TOOTH SENSITIVITY AMONG RESIDENTIAL UNIVERSITY STUDENTS IN CHENNAI’, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, p. 63. doi: 10.22159/ajpcr.2016.v9s2.13228.
- Hannah, R. et al. (2018a) ‘Awareness about the use, Ethics and Scope of Dental Photography among Undergraduate Dental Students Dentist Behind the lens’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1012. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00189.0.
- Hannah, R. et al. (2018b) ‘Awareness about the use, ethics and scope of dental photography among undergraduate dental students dentist behind the lens’, Journal of advanced pharmaceutical technology & research, 11(3), p. 1012.
- Harrita, S. and Santhanam, A. (2019) ‘Determination of Physical Height Using Clinical Crown Height of Deciduous Teeth’, Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, p. 23. doi: 10.5958/0973-9130.2019.00255.x.
- Hema Shree, K. et al. (2019) ‘Saliva as a Diagnostic Tool in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma - a Systematic Review with Meta Analysis’, Pathology oncology research: POR, 25(2), pp. 447–453.
- Hussainy, S. N. et al. (2018) ‘Clinical performance of resin-modified glass ionomer cement, flowable composite, and polyacid-modified resin composite in noncarious cervical lesions: One-year follow-up’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(5), pp. 510–515.
- Janani, K., Palanivelu, A. and Sandhya, R. (2020) ‘Diagnostic accuracy of dental pulse oximeter with customized sensor holder, thermal test and electric pulp test for the evaluation of pulp vitality: an in vivo study’, Brazilian dental science, 23(1). doi: 10.14295/bds.2020.v23i1.1805.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 19(4), pp. 273–278.
- Jemal, S. (2018) ‘Knowledge and Practices of Hand Washing among Health Professionals in Dubti Referral Hospital, Dubti, Afar, Northeast Ethiopia’, Advances in preventive medicine, 2018, p. 5290797.
- Johnson, J. et al. (2020) ‘Computational identification of MiRNA-7110 from pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) ESTs: a new microRNA that links diabetes and PAH’, Hypertension research: official journal of the Japanese Society of Hypertension, 43(4), pp. 360–362.
- Jose, J., Ajitha and Subbaiyan, H. (2020) ‘Different treatment modalities followed by dental practitioners for Ellis class 2 fracture – A questionnaire-based survey’, The open dentistry journal, 14(1), pp. 59–65.
- Kamble, V. et al. (2016) ‘Knowledge of hand hygiene practices among students of ESIC medical college, Gulbarga, Karnataka, India’, International Journal of Community Medicine and Public Health, pp. 94–98. doi: 10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20151234.
- Kannan, A. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘A systematic review on the effect of use of impregnated retraction cords on gingiva’, Journal of advanced pharmaceutical technology & research, 11(5), p. 2121.
- Krishnan, R. P. et al. (2018) ‘Surgical Specimen Handover from Operation Theater to Laboratory: A Survey’, Annals of maxillofacial surgery, 8(2), pp. 234–238.
- Kumar, D. and Antony, S. D. P. (2018) ‘Calcified canal and negotiation-A review’, Journal of advanced pharmaceutical technology & research, 11(8), p. 3727.
- Manohar, J. and Abilasha, R. (2019) ‘A Study on the Knowledge of Causes and Prevalance of Pigmentation of Gingiva among Dental Students’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, p. 95. doi: 10.5958/0976-5506.2019.01859.x.
- Manohar, M. P. and Sharma, S. (2018) ‘A survey of the knowledge, attitude, and awareness about the principal choice of intracanal medicaments among the general dental practitioners and nonendodontic specialists’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 29(6), pp. 716–720.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary molars: Randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, pp. 1–6.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces, 170, pp. 280–292.
- Myers, R. et al. (2008) ‘Hand hygiene among general practice dentists: a survey of knowledge, attitudes and practices’, Journal of the American Dental Association , 139(7), pp. 948–957.
- Nair, S. S. et al. (2014) ‘Knowledge, Attitude, and Practice of Hand Hygiene among Medical and Nursing Students at a Tertiary Health Care Centre in Raichur, India’, ISRN Preventive Medicine, pp. 1–4. doi: 10.1155/2014/608927.
- Nandakumar, M. and Nasim, I. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of grape seed and cranberry extracts in preventing enamel erosion: An optical emission spectrometric analysis’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(5), pp. 516–520.
- Nandhini, J. S. T., Babu, K. Y. and Mohanraj, K. G. (2018) ‘Size, shape, prominence and localization of gerdy’s tubercle in dry human tibial bones’, Journal of advanced pharmaceutical technology & research, 11(8), p. 3604.
- Padavala, S. and Sukumaran, G. (2018) ‘Molar Incisor Hypomineralization and Its Prevalence’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S246–S250.
- Palati, S. et al. (2019) ‘Age Estimation of an Individual Using Olze’s Method in Indian Population-A Cross-Sectional Study’, Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, p. 121. doi: 10.5958/0973-9130.2019.00179.8.
- Palati, S. et al. (2020) ‘Knowledge, Attitude and practice survey on the perspective of oral lesions and dental health in geriatric patients residing in old age homes’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 22. doi: 10.4103/ijdr.ijdr_195_18.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prasanna, G. E. and Gheena, S. (2016) ‘A study of empathy across students from 4 health disciplines among 1st years and Final years’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1472. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00286.9.
- Qudeimat, M. A., Farrah, R. Y. and Owais, A. I. (2006) ‘Infection control knowledge and practices among dentists and dental nurses at a Jordanian university teaching center’, American Journal of Infection Control, pp. 218–222. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2005.06.012.
- Rajakeerthi and Ms, N. (2019) ‘Natural Product as the Storage medium for an avulsed tooth – A Systematic Review’, Cumhuriyet Üniversitesi Diş Hekimliği Fakültesi dergisi, 22(2), pp. 249–256.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative evaluation of remineralizing potential of a paste containing bioactive glass and a topical cream containing casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate: An in vitro study’, Pesquisa brasileira em odontopediatria e clinica integrada, 19(1), pp. 1–10.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ravinthar, K. and Jayalakshmi (2018) ‘Recent advancements in laminates and veneers in dentistry’, Journal of advanced pharmaceutical technology & research, 11(2), p. 785.
- Rayamajhi, R. B. et al. (2014) ‘A study on sanitary and hygiene practices in Chungwang VDC of Dhankuta District, Eastern Nepal’, Journal of Chitwan Medical College, pp. 20–24. doi: 10.3126/jcmc.v4i2.10856.
- R, H. et al. (2020) ‘CYP2 C9 polymorphism among patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma and its role in altering the metabolism of benzo[a]pyrene’, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, pp. 306–312. doi: 10.1016/j.oooo.2020.06.021.
- Samuel, S. R. (2021) ‘Can 5-year-olds sensibly self-report the impact of developmental enamel defects on their quality of life?’, International journal of paediatric dentistry / the British Paedodontic Society [and] the International Association of Dentistry for Children, 31(2), pp. 285–286.
- Sarbeen, J. I., Insira Sarbeen, J. and Gheena, S. (2016) ‘Microbial variation in climatic change and its effect on human health’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1777. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00359.0.
- Sekar, D. et al. (2019) ‘Methylation-dependent circulating microRNA 510 in preeclampsia patients’, Hypertension research: official journal of the Japanese Society of Hypertension, 42(10), pp. 1647–1648.
- Seppan, P. et al. (2018) ‘Therapeutic potential of Mucuna pruriens (Linn.) on ageing induced damage in dorsal nerve of the penis and its implication on erectile function: an experimental study using albino rats’, The aging male: the official journal of the International Society for the Study of the Aging Male, pp. 1–14.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Sheriff, K. A. H., Ahmed Hilal Sheriff, K. and Santhanam, A. (2018) ‘Knowledge and Awareness towards Oral Biopsy among Students of Saveetha Dental College’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 543. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00101.4.
- Shree, K. H. et al. (2019) ‘Saliva as a Diagnostic Tool in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma – a Systematic Review with Meta Analysis’, Pathology & Oncology Research, pp. 447–453. doi: 10.1007/s12253-019-00588-2.
- Siddique, R. et al. (2019) ‘Qualitative and quantitative analysis of precipitate formation following interaction of chlorhexidine with sodium hypochlorite, neem, and tulsi’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 22(1), pp. 40–47.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Teja, K. V., Ramesh, S. and Priya, V. (2018) ‘Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene expression in inflammation: A molecular study’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(6), pp. 592–596.
- Teumta, G. M. M. et al. (2019) ‘An Institution-Based Assessment of Students’ Hand Washing Behavior’, BioMed Research International, pp. 1–7. doi: 10.1155/2019/7178645.
- Uma, P. K. et al. (2020) ‘Knowledge about Legal Aspects of Medical Negligence in India among Dentists– A Questionnaire Survey’, Medico Legal Update, 20(1), pp. 111–115.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J., Smiline Girija, A. S. and Paramasivam, A. (2018) ‘In silico analysis of virulence genes in an emerging dental pathogen A. baumannii and related species’, Archives of oral biology, 94, pp. 93–98.
- World Health Organization (2009) WHO Guidelines on Hand Hygiene in Health Care: First Global Patient Safety Challenge : Clean Care is Safer Care. World Health Organization.
- Article View: 23
- PDF Download: 21