The Effects of Income Tax on Investment Decisions in The Province of Portsmouth (2009- 2019)
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 57-66
AbstractThis study explores the relationship between income tax and investment decisions in the province of Portsmouth. As stated by Martinelli (2017) income tax makes up to 30% of the total government revenue in the province of Portsmouth, England. A progressive income tax system is applied in the UK, which means that tax imposes higher rates on higher income earners unlike to those on a lower income, in other words, the higher income earners pay more taxes while the low-income earners pay less. However, as it is well known there are some individuals are entirely excluded from taxation, such as the disabled, the extremely low-income earners and other minority groups. Therefore, residents in the province of Portsmouth are discouraged from working hard, because the more they earn, the more burden of taxation they face. A key finding from the study is that the government will always support investment activities whenever income tax reduces. Among the ways of supporting investment activities is to ensure credit accessibility to both the large and small enterprises. Both primary and secondary research is used in performing the study. Secondary research helps obtain an understanding of the problem by looking at what previous researchers have done. Primary research was also conducted to help obtain firsthand information regarding the current problem. While employing a qualitative approach, with random sampling techniques, the obtained results, analysis, and conclusions are reliable.
- Atkinson, A. B., Leventi, C., Nolan, B., Sutherland, H., & Tasseva, I. (2017). Reducing poverty and inequality through tax-benefit reform and the minimum wage: the UK as a case-study. The Journal of Economic Inequality, 15(4), 303-323.
- Almunia, M., Guceri, I., Lockwood, B., & Scharf, K. (2020). More giving or more givers? The effects of tax incentives on charitable donations in the UK. Journal of Public Economics, 183, 104114.
- Ahmeti, S. S., Aliu, S. M., & Ahmeti, Y. (2016). TAX RESEARCH Financial Accounting versus Tax Accounting-Tax Rules’ Impact on Investment Decisions. ILIRIA International Review, 4(1), 9-24.
- Gardi, B., Hamawandy, N. M., Sulaiman, V., Saeed, H., Ali, R. M., Sulaiman, A. A., & Mahmood, S. A. (2020). The Effect of Capital Competence on the Profitability of Development and Investment Banks in Turkey. Solid State Technology, 63(5), 12571–12583.
- Hamawandy, N. M., Omar, A. J., Abubakr, Z. A., Sulaiman, V., & Saeed, H. (2020). Review the Interaction Between Transactions with Affiliated Entities and Income Management in Companies Admitted To Tehran Stock Exchange Income management.
- MIR, N. M., Abubakr, Z. A., Jawhar, A. M., Omar, R., Onn, U. H., & Science, F. (2020). the Effect of Exchange Rate and Inflation on the Economic Performance of Selected Industries Stock -Iran on the Economic Performance of Selected. Solid State Technology, 63(6), 12584–12602.
- Othman, B. J., Hamawandy, N. M., & Aziz, H. T. (2020). Interpret and Apply Economic Analysis to The Role of International Business Organizations and Their Activities : A Case study of Adelia.
- Sulaiman, A. A., Hamawandy, N. M., Polytechnic, E., Tun, U., & Onn, H. (2020). THE IMPACT OF THE RESTATEMENT OF FINANCIAL STATEMENTS ON COMPANY GROWTH. 7(15), 4615–4624.
- Acquah-Andoh, E., Ike, O., Ifelebuegu, A. O., & Owusu, A. (2010). The fiscal regime for UK shale gas: Analysing the impacts of pad allowance on shale gas investments. Energy Policy, 146, 111743.
- Arpana, M. S. D., & Naidu, G. (2009). A study on financial literacy and its impact on investment decision of professionals. ZENITH International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 9(11), 49-54.
- Brashares, E. (2019). Replacing the federal income tax with a consumption tax. In Handbook on Taxation (pp. 549-578). Routledge.
- Brewer, M., & Tasseva, I. (2020). Did the UK policy response to Covid-19 protect household incomes?. Available at SSRN 3628464.
- Islam, Z. U., Khan, M. M., & Umair, M. (2019). The Impact of Bank Specific Factors on Investment Decisions.
- Caban-Garcia, M. T., Choi, H., & Kim, M. (2011). The effects of operating cash flow disclosure on earnings comparability, analysts' forecasts, and firms’ investment decisions during the Pre-IFRS era. The British Accounting Review, 100883.
- Chang, C. P., Duurenjargal, M., Batjargal, Z., & Tzang, S. W. (2019). Investment Timing and External Effects. In International Conference on Innovative Mobile and Internet Services in Ubiquitous Computing (pp. 498-503). Springer, Cham.
- Davis, G. A., & Lund, D. (2018). Taxation and investment decisions in petroleum. The Energy Journal, 39(6).
- De Simone, L., Klassen, K. J., & Seidman, J. K. (2019). The effect of income-shifting aggressiveness on corporate investment.
- Demydenko, L. (2017). Modern tax system of Uk raine: poss ibilities of reforming?. Globalization & Business.
- Gamm, M. (2019). The effects of income taxes on profit shifting and investment decisions [cumulative dissertation].
- Gulati, M. (2018). Impact of various factors on saving and investment decisions of salaried individuals.
- Ghodsi, Z., & Webster, A. (2018). UK Taxes and Tax Revenues: Composition and Trends. Intech Open, 74380, 83-96.
- Kierzenkowski, R., Pain, N., Rusticelli, E., & Zwart, S. (2016). The economic consequences of Brexit: a taxing decision.
- Al-shatnawi, H. M., Hamawandy, N. M., & Jafar, R. (2021). The role of the size and growth rate of the bank in determining the effect of financial leverage on the profitability of Jordanian commercial banks. 27(1), 1962–1978.
- Aziz, H. T., & Hamawandy, N. M. (2021). The Impact Of Taxation In Circular Economy / New Tax Thinking : The Case Study USA. 27(1), 1895–1908.
- Hamawandy, N. M., Azzat, R. S., & Hamad, S. A. (2021). The Role of Segment Financial Reports in Rationalising Investment Decisions in Iraq. 27(1), 3058–3068.
- Freitas, C. (2017). The impact of the relationship manager for investment decisions in financial products for retail customers (Doctoral dissertation).
- James, S. (2016). The complexity of tax simplification: the UK experience. In The Complexity of Tax Simplification (pp. 229-246). Palgrave Macmillan, London.
- Patil, B. S., & Chavan, R. R. (2012). Inter-relationship of Behavioral Biases: Effects on Investment Decisions.
- Rogers, D. L. (2019). Federal income tax policy: issues of distribution and equity. In Handbook on Taxation (pp. 579-608). Routledge.
- Stinson, S. R., Doxey, M. M., & Rupert, T. J. (2019). The Effects of Income Tax Timing on Retirement Investment DecisionsThe Effects of Income Tax Timing on Retirement Investment Decisions. The Accounting Review.
- Martinelli, L. (2017). The fiscal and distributional implications of alternative universal basic income schemes in the UK. Bath: Institute for Policy Research.
- Murphy, R., Scott-Clayton, J., & Wyness, G. (2017). Lessons from the end of free college in England. Evidence Speaks Reports, 2(13), 1-10.
- Katende, A. (2018). Corporate Tax Effects on Investment Decisions (Doctoral dissertation).
- Koti, K. (2019). FINANCIAL LITERACY AND ITS IMPACT ON THE INVESTMENT DECISIONS OF WORKING WOMEN. Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews, 7(6), 554-561.
- Malo-Alain, A., Aldoseri, M., & Melegy, M. (2020). Measuring the effect of international financial reporting standards on quality of accounting performance and efficiency of investment decisions. Accounting, 7(1), 249-256.
- Muhammad, Y. S. (2019). Effect of corporate income tax rate on investment decisions of listed deposit money banks in Nigeria. COMPARATIVE STUDY ON THE EFFECTS OF TAX AUDIT ON VALUE ADDED TAX (VAT) COMPLIANCE IN, 45.
- Pandiangan, R., & Murwaningsari, E. (2017). Effect of Investment Decision and Tax Management on Stock Liquidity. International Journal of Finance & Banking Studies (2147-4486), 9(3), 64-77.
- Varga, E. T. (2019). Decreasing Progressive Tax Rates With Basic Income: The Golden Mean?. In ECMS (pp. 85-90).
- Article View: 134
- PDF Download: 151