To analyse and study art investment & its valuation
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 294-302
AbstractIn today’s day and age, art is no longer limited to museums and luxurious houses for people to showcase their wealth and accomplishments. Art now has a special significance as an investment. The features of art are also considered for increasing resale value. This paper discusses the most important factors for the valuation of art and various risks and considerations before investing. Financial returns can be calculated on the basis of various factors, such as artists’ name and fame, quality of painting, growth potential, etc. There are several contemporary Indian artists like M.F. Husain, who have set a unique benchmark in the art industry and whose art has brought the trend of art investment. This paper discusses the potential of upcoming artists as well as the trend of investing in M.F. Husain’s paintings.
- Bialynicka-Birula, J. (2013). Investment in Art – Specificity, Risks, and Rates of Return. Retrieved 2013, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/261071062_Investment_in_Art_-_Specificity_Risks_and_Rates_of_Return
- GLOBUS Journal of Progressive Education A Refereed Research Journal Vol 5 / No 1 / Jan-Jun 2015 ISSN: 2231-1335
- Ibisola, Abayomi & Durodola, Olufemi & Oluwatobi, Oyefusi & Peter, A & Durodola, A & Oluwatobi, Omopo. (2019). Factors Contributing to the Valuation of Arts and Artifacts in Ogun State. International Journal of Civil Engineering and Technology. 10. 2224-2231. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331249061_Factors_Contributing_to_the_Valuation_of_Arts_and_Artifacts_in_Ogun_State
- Menon, G., Parekh, H., Suri, J., Dr., & Roy, S. K., Mr. (n.d.). Visual arts industry in India: Painting the future. KPMG in India – FICCI Report. Retrieved 2018, from http://ficci.in/spdocument/22945/Visual-arts-industry-in-India.pdf
- Öztürkkal, B. and Togan-Eğrican, A., 2019. Art investment: hedging or safe haven through financial crises. Journal of Cultural Economics, pp.1-49.
- Mamarbachi, R., Day, M., & Favato, G. (2008). Art as an Alternative Investment Asset. SSRN Electronic Journal. doi:10.2139/ssrn.1112630
- Frey, B. S., & Eichenberger, R. (1995). On the return of art investment return analyses. Journal of Cultural Economics, 19(3), 207–220. doi:10.1007/bf01074050
- Aznar, J., & Guijarro, F. (2007). Modelling aesthetic variables in the valuation of paintings: an interval goal programming approach. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 58(7), 957–963. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jors.2602218
- Throsby, D., & Zednik, A. (2014). The Economic and Cultural Value of Paintings: Some Empirical Evidence. Handbook of the Economics of Art and Culture, 81–99. doi:10.1016/b978-0-444-53776-8.00004-0
- Stein, J. P. (1977). The Monetary Appreciation of Paintings. Journal of Political Economy, 85(5), 1021–1035. doi:10.1086/260619
- Hodgson, D. (2011). An analysis of pricing and returns in the market for French Canadian paintings. Applied Economics, 43(1), 63–73. doi:10.1080/00036840802400462
- Sullivan, K., & Butler, S. (2017). Are dead artists’ paintings more lively? – Agency in descriptions of artworks before and after an artist’s death. WORD, 63(3), 198–206. doi:10.1080/00437956.2017.1347312
- Ghosh, S., 2019. Valuation of Art as an Investment: A Study on Miniature Paintings in India (Doctoral dissertation, Chitkara University Punjab).
- Prendergast, M., 2013. Factors of Value for Art and Collectibles. Heritage Trusts and Estate Journal, Third Issue, New York.
- USPAP, (2014). Valuation of Fine and Decorative Art; The Appraisal Foundation, Washington, DC.www.appraisalfoundation.org
- Meartomads (2017). How to guide what it’s worth,10 Factors that determine the value of Art. Internet sourced http://blog.mearto.com/2017/09/25/10-factors-that-determine-the-value-of-art/ accessed on 26th February, 2018
- Newman, G.O. and Bloom, P. (2011). Art and Authenticity: The Importance of Originals in Judgments of Value. Journal of Experimental Psychology General.
- Bogdanova, E. (2011). Valuing the Past: The Constitution of the Antiques Market in Russia. Being a PhD Thesis Submitted to Universitat zu Koln, Russia.
- Lowenthal, D. (1992). Authenticity? The Dpma of Self-Delusion. In: Jones, M. (ed) Why fakes Matter: Essays on Problems of Authenticity. British Museum Press, London
- Attfield, J. (2000). Wild things: The Material Culture of Everyday Life, Materializing Culture. Berg, Oxford
- O’Neill, Jacqueline (2019). What The History Of Art Investment Reveals About Its Future. Retrieved from https://medium.com/datadriveninvestor/what-the-history-of-art-investment-reveals-about-its-future-f0c278a744e9
- Dhar, Govind (2012). Best Investment Options: How Art can make you Rich. Retrieved from: https://www.businesstoday.in/magazine/special/best-investment-options-how-art-can-make-you-rich/story/185473.html
- Article View: 36
- PDF Download: 28