Black Pepper Price and its Determinants: A Panel Data Analysis using different Estimators
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 382-387
AbstractThe study intends to identify the linkages between black pepper price and its determinants. Area harvested, production and yield of pepper are taken as the determinants of black pepper price in this study. The research is designed as a panel data analysis, using different estimators like random effect, fixed effect, mixed effect, generalised method of moments (GMM 1991 and GMM 1998) and panel quantile regression. Research design adopted is descriptive in nature. Analysis was done based on panel data of five pepper producing countries for a period of 51 years from 1969 to 2019. The study revealed that area and production are significant predictors of pepper price in all the countries, while yield cannot be considered as a significant determinant of pepper price across countries.
- Abraham, A. (2018). The Trend in Export, Import and Production performance of Black pepper in India. International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics,118(18), 4795-4801.
- Chakravorthy, R., & Parvin Banu, I. (2017). A Study on the Export Performance of Pepper in India. International Journal of Interdisciplinary Research in Arts and Humanities,2(1), 145-148.
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations)(2019). FAOSTAT database. Accessed December 15, 2019 from. http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/#data.
- Hema, M., Kumar, R., & Singh, N. P. (2007). Volatile Price and Declining Profitability of Black Pepper in India: Disquieting Future. Agricultural Economics Research Review, 20, 61–76.
- Jacob, A., & Job, E. (2015). Pepper Production and Export from India: Growth and Instability Analysis. International Journal of Current Research, 7(9), 20388-20391.
- Jain, M., & Arora, R. (2014). An analytical study of price volatility of selected agricultural commodity (black pepper) traded on NCDEX. Intercontinental Journal of Finance Research Review, 2(10), 46–54.
- Jose, R., & Sreeja, S. (2018). An Economic Analysis of Production and Marketing of Pepper in Kerala. International Journal of Research in Humanities, Arts and Literature, 6(6), 469-474.
- Kandiannan, K., Parthasarathy, U., Krishnamurthy, K. S., Thankamani, C. K., Srinivasan, V., & Aipe, K. C. (2011). Modeling the association of weather and black pepper yield. Indian Journal of Horticulture,68(1), 96-102.
- Kiong, W. S., Rahim, K. A., & Shamsudin, M. N. (2010). Long-run Determinants of Export Supply of Sarawak Black and White Pepper: An ARDL Approach. Global Economy and Finance Journal,3(1), 78-87.
- Rathore., T., Dr, & Swathi, V. A. (2020). Black Pepper Export Scenario in India (2001 -2017). Journal of Xi'an University of Architecture & Technology, XII(III), 4155-4164. doi:http://www.xajzkjdx.cn/gallery/371-mar2020.pdf
- Raziya, M. (2018). Impact of WTO on Spices; With Special Reference to Pepper and Cardamom. International Journal of Research in Social Sciences, 8(4), 591-600.
- Sabu, S.S., Kuruvila, A. & Manojkumar, K (2019). Price behaviour of black pepper in Indian and International markets: a comparative analysis. Journal of Spices and Aromatic Crops, 28 (1), 27–33.
- Shah, K., & Anish, G. (2017, July 24). Black pepper market analysis & outlook (Rep.). Retrieved July 1, 2019, from Nirnmal Bang website: https://www.nirmalbang.com/Upload/Black Pepper Market Analysis and Outlook 2017.pdf
- Sivarajah, P., & Wickramasinghe, R. (2016). Impact of Land Size on Productivity, Income and Profits from Pepper Cultivation in Sri Lanka. Agrofor,1(3). doi:10.7251/agreng1603127s
- Sunil, A., & Nair, K. S. (2018). Marketing Opportunities and Export Competitiveness of Indian Spices: An Econometric Analysis. European Journal of Business and Management,10(36), 41-56.
- Supriana, T., & Yanti, C. W. (2013). Prospect of Indonesia Black and White Pepper Export. Economic Journal of Emerging Markets,5(1), 1-14. doi:10.20885/ejem.vol5.iss1.art1
- Yogesh, M. S., & Mokshapathy, S. (2013). Production and Export Performance of Black Pepper. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Invention, 2, 36-44.
- Article View: 79
- PDF Download: 64