Purchase Intention towards IoT Smart Homes in Malaysia:A Value-Based Adoption Model
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 388-396
AbstractInternet of Things (IoT) has been the attention in the field of study of innovation. However, there is still lack of study in marketing, especially in the Southeast Asia context. This study strives to examine Internet of Things, specifically focused on Smart Homes in Malaysia context. Hence, this study tested the impact of antecedents and consequences of perceived value, supported by Value-Based Adoption Model (VAM). This study examines the conceptual framework using an online self-administered survey using 163 respondents and employed Smart PLS in analysing the data. The results of analysis showed that perceived fee is an important determinant for perceived value, and perceived value showed a significant positive impact on purchase intention towards Smart Homes. This study found perceived usefulness has been a significant predictor of perceived value; while perceived value showed significant positive impact on adoption intention.
- Aaker, D. A. and Joachimsthaler, F. (2000), “Brand Leadership: Building Assets in the Information Society”, Free Press, New York.
- Ahuja, K. and Patel, M. (2017), “Rise of the Smart Home”, <https://www.mckinsey.com/spContent/connected_homes/index.html>, viewed on 30th December 2018.
- Ali, S. and Yusuf, Z. (2018), “Mapping the Smart-Home Market”, <https://www.bcg.com/publications/2018/mapping-smart-home-market.aspx>, viewed on 30th December 2018.
- Ashton, K. (1999), “That ‘Internet of Things’ Thing”, RFID Journal, <https://www.rfidjournal.com/articles/view?4986>, viewed on 30th December 2018
- Chan, M., Campo, E., Esteve, D. and Fourniols, J.-Y. (2009), “Smart Homes – Current features and future prospectives”, Maturitas, Vol. 64, pp. 90-97.
- Chen, Y.R.R. (2017). Perceived value of branded mobile media, consumer engagement, business-consumer relationship quality and purchase intention: A study of WeChat in China. Public Relations Review, Vol. 43(5), pp. 945-954.
- Chen, Z. and Dubinsky, A. J. (2003), “A conceptual model of perceived customer value in e-commerce: A preliminary investigation”. Psychology & Marketing, Vol. 20(4), pp. 323–347.
- Cheung, R. and Vogel, D. (2013), “Predicting user acceptance of collaborative technologies: An extension of the technology acceptance model for e-learning”, Computers & Education, Vol. 63, pp. 160-175
- Chua, S. A. (2017), “Cover Story: The state of IoT in Malaysia,” <http://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/cover-story-state-iot-malaysia>, viewed on 30th December 2018
- Cohen, J. (1988), Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, 2nd ed., Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ.
- Davis, F. D., Bagozzi, R. P. and Warshaw, P. R. (1989), “User acceptance of computer technology: a comparison of two theoretical models”, Management Science, Vol. 35(8).
- DeLone, W. H. and McLean, E. R. (1992), “Information Systems Success: The Quest for the Dependent Variable”, Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 3(4), pp. 60-95.
- Ding, D., Cooper, R.A., Pasquina, P.F. and Fici-Pasquina, L. (2011), “Sensor technology for Smart Homes”, Maturitas, Vol. 69, pp. 131-136.
- Ghayvat, H., Mukhopadhyay, S., Gui, X. and Suryadevara, N. (2015), “WSN- and IOT-based Smart Homes and their extension to smart buildings”, sensors, Vol. 15(5), pp. 10350-10379.
- Hair, J.F., Hult, G.T.M., Ringle, C.M. and Sarstedt, M. (2017), A Primer on Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM), 2nd ed., Sage Publications Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA.
- InvestKL (2018), “Malaysia Gets Serious on Developing IoT Ecosystem,” <http://www.investkl.gov.my/Relevant_News-@-Malaysia_Gets_Serious_on_Developing_IoT_Ecosystem.aspx>, viewed on 30th December 2018
- Kim, H. W., Chan, H. C., and Gupta, S. (2007), “Value-based Adoption of Mobile Internet: An empirical investigation”, Decision Support Systems, Vol. 43, pp. 111-126.
- Kim, Y., Park, Y. and Choi, J. (2017), “A study on the adoption of IoT smart home service: using Value-based Adoption Model”, Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, DOI: 10.1080/14783363.2017.1310708
- Kim, M. K., Jeesun, O., Park, J. H. and Joo, C. (2018), “Perceived value and adoption intention for electric vehicles in Korea: Moderating effects of environmental traits and government supports”, Energy, Vol. 159, pp. 799-809.
- Kline, R.B. (2011). Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling, 3rd ed, Guilford Publications, Spring Street, NY.
- Koreber, A. L. & Kluckhohn, C. (1952). Culture: A critical review of concepts and definitions. Paper. Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology, Harvard University.
- Lin, B., Teoh, W. M., Chong, S. C. and Chua, J. W. (2013), “Factors affecting consumers’ perception of electronic payment: an empirical analysis”, Internet Research, Vol. 23(4), pp. 465-485.
- Lin, T.-C., Wu, S., Hsu, J. S.-C. and Chou Y.-C. (2012), “The integration of Value-based Adoption and Expectation-Confirmation Models: An example of IPTV continuance intention”, Decision Support System, Vol. 54(1), pp. 63-75.
- Peterson, M. F. & Barreto, T. S. (2018). Interpeting societal culture value dimensions. Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 49, pp. 1190-1207.
- Ramayah, T., Cheah, J., Chuah, F., Ting, H., & Mumtaz, A.M. (2018). Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM) Using Smart PLS 3.0. An updated and Practical Guide to Statistical Analysis 2nd ed, Pearson
- Reychav, I. and Wu, D. (2015), “Mobile collaborative learning: The role of individual learning in groups through text and video content delivery in tablets”, Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 50, pp. 520-534.
- Salimon, M. G., Gorondutse, A. H. and Abdullah, H. H. (2018), “User adoption of Smart Homes Technology in Malaysia: Integration TAM 3, TPB, UTAUT 2 and extension of their constructs for a better prediction”, IOSR Journal of Business and Management, Vol. 20(4), pp. 60-69.
- Silva, L.C.D., Morikawa, C. and Petra, I.M. (2012), “State of the Art of Smart Homes”, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Vol.25, pp. 1313-1321.
- Stackowiak, R., Licht, A., Mantha, V. and Nagode, L. (2015), Big Data and the Internet of Things: Enterprise Information Architecture for a New Age, Apress.
- Stock, T. and Seliger, G. (2016), “Opportunities of Sustainable Manufacturing in Industry 4.0”, Procedia CTRP, pp. 536-541.
- Suo, H., Wan, J., Zou, C. and Liu, J. (2012), “Security in the Internet of Things: A review”, 2012 International Conference on Computer Science and Electronics Engineering, pp. 648-651.
- Tan, L. and Wang, N. (2010), “Future Internet: The Internet of Things”, 2010 3rd International Conference on Advanced Computer Theory and Engineering.
- Teas, R. K. and Argawal, R. (2000), “The Effects of Extrinsic Product Cues on Consumers’ Perceptions of Quality, Sacrifice, and Value”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 28(2), pp. 278-290.
- Teo, P.-C., Ho, T.C.F., Othman, R., Kelanam B.W.Y. and Tie, D. (2019), “A research on the differences of consumers on socio-demographic characteristics: The Internet of Things (IoT) Smart Homes”, International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering, Vol. 8 No. 12S2, pp. 47-52.
- Turel, O., Serenko, A. and Bontis, N., “User acceptance of hedonic digital artifacts: A theory of consumption values perspective”, Information & Management, Vol. 47, pp. 53-59.
- Woodruff, R. B. (1997), “Customer value: The next source for competitive advantage”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 25, pp. 139.
- Yoo, J.M. (2015). Perceived value of game items and purchase intention. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 8(19), pp. 1-7.
- Zaidi, M. F. A. (2017), “The IoT Readiness of SMEs in Malaysia: Are they Worthwhile for Investigation?”, International Conference on International Business, Marketing and Humanities
- Zeithaml, V. A. (1988). Consumer perceptions of price, quality and value: a means-end model and synthesis of evidence. Journal of Marketing, Vol. 52(3) pp. 2-22.
- Article View: 148
- PDF Download: 107