Open Social System: The Problem of The Impact of Vertical Social Mobility on The Prospects for Economic Growth (In the Context of The Discussion About the Affirmative Action Prospects)
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 481-490
AbstractIn this article for the first time are considered the aspects of positive discrimination state politics in the context of its impact on the processes of social integration, vertical social mobility and economic growth rate. The comparative analysis of positive discrimination models in USSR and Western countries has been carried out. The repercussions of the Russia’s abandonment of the positive discrimination politics are distinguished. The actuality of the analysis of the forms of vertical social mobility stimulation is based on their potential impact on economic growth in the conditions of high social inequality and the growing tendency to global social polarization. The high level of social inequality is a barrier to upward mobility, the expansion of economic activity and the dynamic economic growth.
The article justifies the importance of the open social system as a transparent system of social elevators for economic growth’ acceleration and states the correlation between the level of vertical social mobility and the economic growth in long-term perspective.
The methodology of the research is based on the complex approach to the problem of vertical social mobility and the use of the models of positive discrimination, and the comparative analysis of the Soviet and Western practice of its applying is carried out. The article is based on the research of the processes of vertical social mobility and social inequality rate codependence in the context of understanding of social inequality rate as a social and economic development prospects’ indicator.
The modern Russian scholars view the problem of positive discrimination in the predominantly negative light: as a Soviet legacy, within the paradigm of understanding the Soviet society as totalitarian. Whereas in Western society the use of positive discrimination models is widely studied as a factor of lowering the social inequality and strengthening the social integration within the separate social spheres: politics, industry, education, gender and race relations.
The article for the first time names the problem of national importance of positive discrimination as a factor of increasing the social system openness and the acceleration of economic growth in long-term perspective.
The research can be considered as a review of the examples of the positive discrimination models usage and the invitation to further discussion on the perspectives of wider applying of the positive discrimination models as an indirect factor of strengthening the social integration and economic growth stimulation.
- Alesina A., Miano A., Stantcheva S. The Polarization of Reality. AEA Papers and Proceedings. 2020; 110: 324–328. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1257/pandp.20201072 [Accessed: July 29, 2020].
- Bard A., Soderqvist J. The Futurica Trilogy. New York: Stockholm. 2012.
- Barnes K. Is Affirmative Action Responsible for the Achievement Gap Between Black and White Law Students? A Correction, a Lesson and an Update. Northwestern University Law Review. 2011; 101 (Spring): 791–812.
- Beaudreau B. The Economics of Speed: Machine Speed as the Key Factor in Productivity. Springer Nature Switzerland AG, 2020; 122 pp. ISSN 978-3-030-26712-4
- Boddie E. The Constitutionality of Racially Integrative Purpose. Cardozo Law Review. 2016; 38: 531–550.
- Buckland M. Information and Society. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2017; 232 pp.
- Butcher B. Planet Plutocrat. The countries where politically connected businessmen are most likely to prosper. The Economist. Available from: https://www.economist.com/international/2014/03/15/planet-plutocrat. [Accessed: March 15, 2015].
- Cohen P. Scholars Return to 'Culture of Poverty'. The New York Times. 18 October 2010. Available from: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/18/us/18poverty.html [Accessed: July 29, 2020].
- Corak M. Income Inequality, Equality of Opportunity, and Intergenerational Mobility. Journal of Economic Perspectives. (8 July 2013); 27 (3): 79–102. Available from: https://milescorak.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/income-inequality-equality-of-opportunity-and-intergenerational-mobility.pdf [Accessed: July 29, 2020]. (In Russ).
- Grigor'yev L.M., Pavlyushina V.A. Mezhstranovoye neravenstvo: dinamika i problema stadiy razvitiya [Cross-country inequality: dynamics and the problem of stages of development]. Voprosy Ekonomiki. 2018; 7: 5-29. (In Russ.).
- Grigor'yev L.M., Pavlyushina V.A. Sotsial'noye neravenstvo kak problema ekonomicheskoy strategii Rossii [Social inequality as a problem of Russia's economic strategy]. Mir Novoy Ekonomiki. 2017; 3: 58-71 (In Russ.).
- Crossman A. The Sociological Definition of Anomie. ThoughtCO. Mar. 8, 2020. Available from: http\\www.thoughtco.com/anomie-definition-3026052 [Accessed: July 29, 2020].
- Dankanich S.A. Neravenstvo dokhodov naseleniya: vidy i posledstviya [Inequality of population income: types and consequences]. Problemy Sovremennoy Ekonomiki. 2011; 3: 59-63 (In Russ.).
- Demicheva T.M., Baryshnikov V.N., Borisenko V.N. The Right and the Theory of the Empire in the Thought of European Enlightenment of the Second Half Of The XVIII Century. Bylye Gody, 2017, Vol. 44, Is. 2: 387-395.
- Deryugina N.I. Sotsial'noye neravenstvo i konflikty v sovremennoy Rossii [Social inequality and conflicts in modern Russia]. Sotsial'naya stratifikatsiya v tsifrovuyu epokhu: k 130-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya Pitirima Sorokina: XIII Mezhdunarodnaya nauchnaya konferentsiya “Sorokinskiye chteniya – 2019”: Sbornik materialov [Social stratification in the digital age: to the 130th anniversary of the birth of Pitirim Sorokin: XIII International Scientific Conference "Sorokin Readings - 2019": Collection of materials]. Moscow: MAKS Press; 2019: 65-68 (In Russ.).
- Edelman Trust Barometer. The Trust Index is the average percent trust in NGOs, 2020, business, government and media. Head of Thought Leadership Research David M. Bersof, Ph.D. Available from: https://www.edelman.com/sites/g/files/aatuss191/files/2020-01/2020%20Edelman%20Trust%20Barometer%20Global%20Report.pdf [Accessed: July 29, 2020].
- Fullinwider R. Affirmative Action. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Summer 2018 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.), Available from: https://plato.stanford.edu/archives/sum2018/entries/affirmative-action/. [Accessed: July 29, 2020].
- Handy Ch. The Second Curve. London, 2015.
- Harrison M. The Soviet Economy, 1917-1991: Its Life and Afterlife. The Independent Review. 2017; 22(2): 199-206.
- Il'yukhov A.A. Kak platili bol'sheviki: Politika sovetskoy vlasti v sfere oplaty truda v 1917-1941 gg. [How the Bolsheviks Paid: The Policy of the Soviet Government in the Sphere of Wages in 1917-1941]. Moscow; 2010; 415 pp.: tab. (History of Stalinism).
- Krueger A. The Rise and Consequences, 2012. Available from: https://milescorak.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/34af5d01.pdf [Accessed: July 29, 2020].
- Kudrin ne isklyuchayet sotsial'nogo vzryva [Kudrin does not rule out a social explosion], TASS. Available from: https://tass.ru/ekonomika/6558947 [Accessed 17 June 2019] (In Russ.).
- London zashchishchayet “pozitivnuyu diskriminatsiyu” [London Defends “Positive Discrimination”], BBC News. Available from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/russian/uk/newsid_7475000/7475423.stm [Accessed 26 June 2008] (In Russ.).
- Miethlich, B., Oldenburg, A.G. Social Inclusion Drives Business Sales: A Literature Review on the Case of the Employment of Persons With Disabilities. In 33nd International Business Information Management Association Conference (IBIMA), Education Excellence and Innovation Management through Vision 2020, Granada, Spain, 2019, 10-11.04: 6253-6267. King of Prussia, PA: IBIMA Publishing.
- Moorsteen R. Prices and Production of Machinery in the Soviet Union in 1928-1958. Cambridge Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1962.
- Nagel T. Equal Treatment and Compensatory Discrimination. Philosophy & Public Affairs; 1973; 2 (Summer): 348–363.
- Nazarov M. Klass gospodstvuyushchiy i obrechennyy. Interv'yu s M. Voslenskim [The ruling and doomed class. Interview with M. Voslensky]. Zhurnal “Posev”. 1984; 11: 28-33 (In Russ.).
- Novosel'tseva T. Vydvizhenchestvo v kadrovoy politike sovetskogo gosudarstva v 1920-1930-ye gody (na materialakh Smolenskoy oblasti) [Promotion in the personnel policy of the Soviet state in the 1920s-1930s (based on materials from the Smolensk region)]. Smolensk: Smolensk State Pedagogical University; 2004 (In Russ.).
- OECD. Income Inequality and Poverty. Available from: http://www.oecd.org/social/inequality-and-poverty.htm. [Accessed: February 20, 2020].
- Piketty T. Capital in the Twenty-First Century. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2014.
- Pitirim Sorokin i paradigmy global'nogo razvitiya XXI veka (k 130-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya) [Pitirim Sorokin and the paradigms of global development of the XXI century (to the 130th anniversary of his birth)]: International scientific conference, Syktyvkar, October 10-12, 2019: collection of scientific papers / O.A. Sotnikova (ed.). Syktyvkar: Pitirim Sorokin SSU, 2019; 272 pp. (In Russ.).
- Podberezkin A., Zhukov A. Travmatizatsiya soznaniya kak novaya forma politicheskogo nasiliya [Traumatization of consciousness as a new form of political violence]. RUDN Journal of Sociology. 2020; 20; 2: 430-435 (In Russ.).
- Rajan R., Zingales L. Saving Capitalism from the Capitalists. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2004; 369 pp.
- Remizov M. Patologiya neravenstva [Pathology of inequality]. Ekspert Online. 2016. Available at: http://www.instrategy.ru/smi/article353.htm [Accessed 29 July 2020] (In Russ.).
- Report for Selected Countries and Subjects, World Economic Outlook Database, April 2018, International Monetary Fund. Available from: https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2018/01/weodata/index.aspx [Accessed: July 29, 2020].
- Salmina A. Izbytochnoye neravenstvo i razvitiye chelovecheskogo potentsiala. Doklad o chelovecheskom razvitii v Rossiyskoy Federatsii [Excessive inequality and human development. Human Development Report for the Russian Federation] (pp. 84-106). Moscow: Analytical Center for the Government of the Russian Federation; 2014 (In Russ.).
- Sander R.H. A Systemic Analysis of Affirmative Action in American Law Schools. Stanford Law Review, 2004. 57 (November): 367–484.
- Sedlov D., Alikina K. Rossiyskiye milliardery bogateyut, a Rossiya — naoborot [Russian billionaires are getting richer, and Russia – on the contrary]. RBK. Available at: https://www.rbc.ru/money/22/11/2016/583469339a7947f801d7631b [Accessed 25 November 2016] (In Russ.).
- Sigal A. Race, Class, and Affirmative Action. New York: Russell Sage Foundation, 2015; 348 pp.
- Shapovalov A. Vse, kto nazhili neposil'nym trudom. Bogatyye grazhdane vladeyut fakticheski vsemi finansovymi aktivami i sberezheniyami v RF [Everyone who made money by back-breaking labor. Wealthy citizens own virtually all of the financial assets and savings in the Russian Federation]. Kommersant. 2019; 65. Available at: https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3940397 [Accessed 12 April 2019] (In Russ).
- Shkaratan O.I. Opyt issledovaniya sotsial'nogo vosproizvodstva v gorodakh SSSR. Chelovecheskiy faktor v sotsial'nom vosproizvodstve (Mezhdistsiplinarnyye issledovaniya) [The experience of researching social reproduction in the cities of the USSR. The human factor in social reproduction (Interdisciplinary research)]. Moscow: Nauka, 1987: 88 (In Russ.).
- Shkaratan O.I., Yastrebov G.A. Sravnitel'nyy analiz protsessov sotsial'noy mobil'nosti v SSSR i sovremennoy Rossii [Comparative analysis of the processes of social mobility in the USSR and modern Russia]. Obshchestvennyye nauki i sovremennost'. 2011; 2: 5-28 (In Russ.).
- Shvab K. Kakoy kapitalizm nam nuzhen [What capitalism do we need]. Vedomosti. Available at: https://www.vedomosti.ru/opinion/articles/2019/12/01/817593-klaus-shvab [Accessed 2 December 2019] (In Russ.).
- Small M., Harding D., Lamont M. Reconsidering Culture and Poverty. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science. 2010; 629 (1): 6-27. Available from: https://doi:10.1177/0002716210362077 [Accessed: July 29, 2020].
- Stiglitz J.E. The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future. New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2012.
- Stiglitz J.E. Tsena neravenstva. Chem rassloyeniye obshchestva grozit nashemu budushchemu [The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future]. Moscow: 2016 (In Russ.).
- SSSR v tsifrakh … [po godam] : kratkiy statisticheskiy sbornik [USSR in figures ... [by years]: a short statistical collection] Center. stat. ex. at the Council of Ministers of the USSR. Moscow; 1960-1991; 1991; 320 pp., tab. (In Russ.).
- Standing Guy. Prekariat: novyy opasnyy klass [The precariat: the new dangerous class]: Transl. from English by N. Usova. Moscow, 2014; 328 pp. Available at: http://spkurdyumov.ru/uploads/2016/05/prekariat-novyj-opasnyj-klass.pdf [Accessed 29 July 2020] (In Russ.).
- Sunstein C. The Second Bill of Rights: FDR's Unfinished Revolution – And Why We Need It More Than Ever. N.Y., 2004; 294 pp.
- Uzbekova A.V. V Minfine predupredili o ser'yeznykh ekonomicheskikh problemakh [The Ministry of Finance warned about serious economic problems]. 2016. Available at: https://rg.ru/2016/07/30/v-minfine-predupredili-o-sereznyh-ekonomicheskih-problemah.html?utm_source=rnews [Accessed 29 July 2020] (In Russ.).
- Yan'li S. Spetsifika sotsial'no-ekonomicheskikh preobrazovaniy v Kitaye [The specificity of social and economic transformations in China]. Moscow: Moscow State University; 2006 (In Russ.).
- Zutsman G., Radaykin Ye., Piketti T., Novokmet F. Statobzor: Ot Sovetov k oligarkham: neravenstvo i sobstvennost' v Rossii, 1905-2016 [Statobzor: From Soviets to Oligarchs: Inequality and Property in Russia, 1905-2016] 2017. Available from: https://lenincrew.com/statistical-review-3/ [Accessed 29 July 2020] (In Russ.).
- Valitova Z.Kh., Esimova A.B., Karipbaev B.I., Indzhigolyan A.A., Kosherbaev D.B. Ierarkhii professii v predstavleniyakh kazakhstanskikh shkol'nikov[Hierarchies of professions in representations of Kazakh schoolchildren]. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya [Sociological research], 2016, № 1, 125-131. (in Russia)
- Vendik Yu. "Pozitivnaya diskriminatsiya" v SSHA. Chto eto takoye i pochemu Tramp yeye uprazdnyayet ["Positive Discrimination" in the United States. What it is and why Trump is abolishing it], BBC News. Available from: https://www.bbc.com/russian/features-44767737 [Accessed 7 September 2018] (In Russ.).
- Voslenskiy M.S. Nomenklatura. Gospodstvuyushchiy klass Sovetskogo Soyuza [Nomenclature. The dominant class of the Soviet Union]. Moscow: Sovetskaya Rossiya; 1991. (In Russ.).
- Williams D. Do Racial Preferences Affect Minority Learning in Law Schools? Journal of Empirical Legal Studies. 2013; 10 (June): 171–195.
- Article View: 282
- PDF Download: 89