Application of expert systems or decision-making systems in the field of education
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 1176-1185
AbstractExpert system (ES) is a branch of artificial intelligence (AI) that is used to manage different problems by making use of interactive computer-based decision-making process. It uses both factual information and heuristics to resolve the complicated decision-making issues in a specific domain. The architecture of the expert system was analyzed and found that it includes several parts such as user interface, knowledge base, working memory, inference engine, explanation system, system engineer, and knowledge engineer, user, and expert system shell in which each part of the architecture of an expert system is based on different functionary that helps it to make an adequate decision by analyzing complex situations. The research aims to analyze the application of expert systems or decision-making systems in the field of education and found that it is used for different purposes such as assessing teacher performance, providing guidance to the students regarding their career, and providing quality learning to students with disabilities. It is also used to help the students to make rightful career decisions and become efficient professionals after completing their studies.
- Alshare, K. A., Alomari, M. K., Lane, P. L., & Freeze, R. D. (2019). Development and determinants of end-user intention: Usage of expert systems. Journal of Systems and Information Technology, 21(2), 166-185. https://doi.org/10.1108/jsit-08-2018-0108
- Arya, S. H., Abolghasemi, M., Ahmadvand, A. M., & Omran, E. S. (2014). Designing and implementing the higher education development fuzzy expert system in iran. Journal of Mathematics and Computer Science. 08. 163-179. 10.22436/jmcs.08.02.07.
- Bahrami, A., Roozitalab, N., Jafari, S., & Bahrami, A. (2014). An expert system for diagnosing dilated cardiomyopathy. International Journal of Engineering Science Invention, 3(3), 38-42.
- Bolloju; N., Schneider, C., and Sugumaran, V. (2012). A knowledge-based system for improving the consistency between object models and use case narratives. Expert Systems with Applications, 39(10), 9398-9410. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.02.126
- De La Cámara, S. P., Soler, E. R., del Viso Torre, A. F., de Prada, E. V., & Sánchez, C. R. (2009). Expert System for Educational Content Selection Based on Standards. In AIED 2009: 14 th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education Workshops Proceedings (p. 23).
- Dev, U. (2020). Re-Engineering Expert System Powered By Machine Learning. Cosmos Journal of Engineering & Technology, 10(1), 16-20.
- El H., Essaid, A. A., & Mohamed E,l i. (2014). Expert system design for educational and vocational guidance, using a multi-agent system. International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems -Proceedings. 1018-1024. 10.1109/ICMCS.2014.6911256.
- Fisseha, M. (2011). The role of information communication technologies in education: Review article with emphasis on the computer and the internet. Ethiopian journal of education and science. 6(2).
- Ghadirli, H. M., & Rastgarpour, M. (2013). An adaptive and intelligent tutor by expert systems for mobile devices. International Journal of Managing Public Sector Information and Communication Technologies. 3. 10.5121/ijmpict.2012.3102.
- Goel, A., & Agarwal, E. (2019). Assessing Innovation in Teacher Education. Globus Journal of Progressive Education, 9(2); 50-52.
- Goksel, N., & Bozkurt, A. (2019). Artificial intelligence in education: Current insights and future perspectives. In Handbook of Research on Learning in the Age of Transhumanism (pp. 224-236). IGI Global.
- Goodarzi, M. H., & Rafe, V. (2012). Educational advisor system implemented by web-based fuzzy expert systems. Journal of Software Engineering and Applications. 05. 10.4236/jsea.2012.57058.
- Ho, H. M., & Chang, H. (2013). An iterative expert system for track and field teaching research in the long jump. International Journal of e-Education, e-Business, e-Management and e-Learning, 3(3), 187. 10.7763/IJEEEE.2013.V3.220.
- Ismail, N., Ismail, A., and Atiq, R. (2009). An overview of expert systems in pavement management. European Journal of Scientific Research, 30(1), 99-111
- Jabbar, H. K., & Khan, R. Z. (2015, March). Survey on development of expert system in the areas of Medical, Education, Automobile and Agriculture. In 2015 2nd International Conference on Computing for Sustainable Global Development (INDIACom) (pp. 776-780). IEEE.
- Khan, A. R., Amin, H. U., & Rehman, Z. U. (2011). Application of expert system with fuzzy logic in teachers ‘performance evaluation. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications - IJACSA. 2. 51-57. 10.14569/IJACSA.2011.020210.
- Liao, S.-H. (2005). Expert system methodologies and applications - a decade review from 1995 to 2004. Expert Systems with Applications, 28(1), 93-103. 10.1016/j.eswa.2004.08.003.
- Lucy, C. S., Obert, M. & Lemias, Z. (2010). The use of expert systems has improved students learning in Zimbabwe. Journal of sustainable development in Africa. 12(3). Pp 1 – 13
- Mardani, A., Hooker, R., Ozkul, S., Yifan, S., Nilashi, M., Sabzi, H. Z., & Fei, G. C. (2019). Application of Decision Making and Fuzzy Sets Theory to Evaluate the Healthcare and Medical Problems: A Review of Three Decades of Research with Recent Developments. Expert Systems with Applications. 137. 10.1016/j.eswa.2019.07.002.
- Mirmozaffari, M. (2019). Presenting a Medical Expert System for Diagnosis and Treatment of Nephrolithiasis. European Journal of Medical and Health Sciences. 1. 10.24018/ejmed.2019.1.1.20. .
- Mohammed, A., Ambak, K., Mosa, A., & Syamsunur, D. (2019). Expert system in engineering transportation: a review. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 14(1), 229-252. http://jestec.taylors.edu.my/Vol%2014%20issue%201%20February%202019/14_1_17.pdf
- Mosa, A., Rahmat, R., Raihantaha, M., & Ismail, A. (2011). Classification of construction problems in rigid highway pavements. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 5(3), 378-395
- Mustapha, S. S., Sayed, B., & Mohamad, R. (2017). Measuring process innovation on double-flanked conceptual model for knowledge sharing on online learning environment. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, 95(7), 1499-1509.
- Nofal, M., & Fouad, K. M. (2014). Developing web-based semantic expert systems. International Journal of Computer Science Issues (IJCSI), 11(1), 103.
- Nwigbo, S., & Madhu, B.K. (2011). Expert system: a catalyst in educational development in Nigeria. IOSR Journal of Mobile Computing & Application (IOSR-JMCA), 3(2), 8-11.
- Omran, M.G.H., Engelbrecht, A.P., & Salman, A. (2006). Using the ring neighborhood topology with self-adaptive differential evolution. Advances in Natural Computation, 976-979. 10.1007/11881070_129.
- Prasad, B.N., Finkelstein, S.M., & Hertz, M.I. (1996). An expert system for diagnosis and therapy in lung transplantation. Computers in Biology and Medicine, 26(6), 477-488. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-4825(96)00030-3.
- Ramadan, M., & Al-Saleh, K. (2013). Development of an expert system for reducing medical errors. International Journal of Software Engineering & Applications, 4(6), 29. 10.5121/ijsea.2013.4603.
- Reffat, R.M., & Harkness, E.L. (2001). Expert system for environmental quality evaluation. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 15(3), 109-114. 10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3828(2001)15:3(109).
- Sakala, L. C., Muzurura, O., & Zivanai, L. (2010). The use of expert systems has improved students learning in zimbabwe. Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa, 12(3), 1-13.
- Sayed, B., Mushikhi, K., & Chaudhry, S. (2019). A Pragmatic Prototype to Enhance The Quality Pre-University Level Skills Towards Further Development of Human and Knowledge Attributes in the Region. Procedia Computer Science, 154, 824-831. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2019.06.073.
- Sayed, B. T., Al Mushikhi, K. M., & Dhanasekaran, B. (2019). Knowledge Based Information System to Manage Transfer of Credits in An Outcome Based Higher Educational Setting. Procedia Computer Science, 154, 26-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2019.06.006.
- Shen, W., Hao, Q., Mak, H., Neelamkavil, J., Xie, H., Dickinson, J., Thomas, R., Pardasani, A., & Xue, H. (2010). Systems integration and collaboration in architecture, engineering, construction, and facilities management: A review. Advanced Engineering Informatics, 24(2), 196-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aei.2009.09.001.
- Shokouhyar, S., Seifhashemi, S., Siadat, H., & Ahmadi, M. M. (2018). Implementing a fuzzy expert system for ensuring information technology supply chain. Expert Systems, 36(1), e12339. 10.1111/exsy.12339.
- Supriyanto, G., Widiaty, I., Abdullah, A. G., & Yustiana, Y. R. (2019, December). Application expert system career guidance for students. In Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1402(6), 066031. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1402/6/066031
- Syamsunur, D., Ismail, A., Rahmat, R., & Karim, O. (2011). Knowledge-based expert system for route selection of road alignment. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 5(5), 208-213.
- Tan, C. F., Wahidin, L. S., Khalil, S. N., Tamaldin, N., Hu, J., & Rauterberg, G. W. M. (2016). The application of expert system: A review of research and applications. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 11(4), 2448-2453.
- Tripathi, K.P. (2011). A review on the knowledge-based expert system: Concept and architecture. International Journal of Computer Applications, Special Issue on Artificial Intelligence Techniques - Novel Approaches and Practical Applications, 4, 19-23
- Article View: 114
- PDF Download: 295