Patient’s perspective about the photographs taken during the orthodontic therapy for documentation
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2020, Volume 26, Issue 2, Pages 99-111
AbstractClinical Photography is an important requirement for better clinical diagnosis, treatment planning and case documentation in modern Orthodontics.The primary purpose of dental photography is clinical recording of intra oral and extra oral manifestations. Other secondary uses may be marketing , education , communication, dento legal documentation. Dental photography also improves the quality of care provided and overall status of a dental practice. Main purpose of dental photography in orthodontics is documentation for explaining and demonstrating various stages and processes involved in a treatment and to assess the treatment progress. Till date there are no existing surveys on dental photography from a patient's perspective. A cross-sectional questionnaire study was conducted among the patients undergoing orthodontic therapy .The sample size of 300 patients were selected. A close ended questionnaire was used to assess the patient perspective about the dental photographs taken during the orthodontic therapy. A survey software was used to reduce sampling bias.Repeated answers or questioning were avoided. All patients undergoing fixed orthodontic treatment were included in the study. Chi-square tests are applied to find the association between the parameters and the level of significance.Patient satisfaction and comfort is of utmost importance. Hence changes in the design can be brought about in retractors or mirrors to improve the comfort of the patient during clinical photography. Within the limits of the study, the result of the study has shown that there was positive experience regarding dental photography for orthodontic purposes from the majority of the patients.
- Abraham, S. et al. (2005) ‘Evaluation of the inhibitory effect of triphala on PMN-type matrix metalloproteinase (MMP-9)’, Journal of periodontology, 76(4), pp. 497–502.
- Ahmad, I. (2009) ‘Digital dental photography. Part 2: Purposes and uses’, British dental journal, 206(9), pp. 459–464.
- Arja, C. et al. (2013) ‘Oxidative stress and antioxidant enzyme activity in South Indian male smokers with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease’, Respirology , 18(7), pp. 1069–1075.
- Bengel, W. (1984) Die photographie in Zahnmedizin und Zahntechnik. Quintessenz.
- Bengel, W. (1985) ‘Standardization in dental photography’, International dental journal, 35(3), pp. 210–217.
- Christensen, G. J. (2005) ‘Important clinical uses for digital photography’, Journal of the American Dental Association , 136(1), pp. 77–79.
- Çifter, M. (2018) ‘A Qualitative Analysis of Dental Photography in Orthodontics: The Patient’s Perspective’, BioMed research international, 2018, p. 5418592.
- Desai, V. and Bumb, D. (2013) ‘Digital dental photography: a contemporary revolution’, International journal of clinical pediatric dentistry, 6(3), pp. 193–196.
- Devaki, T., Sathivel, A. and BalajiRaghavendran, H. R. (2009) ‘Stabilization of mitochondrial and microsomal function by polysaccharide of Ulva lactuca on D-Galactosamine induced hepatitis in rats’, Chemico-biological interactions, 177(2), pp. 83–88.
- Dinesh, S. P. S. et al. (2013) ‘An indigenously designed apparatus for measuring orthodontic force’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 7(11), pp. 2623–2626.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Felicita, A. S. (2017a) ‘Orthodontic management of a dilacerated central incisor and partially impacted canine with unilateral extraction--A case report’, The Saudi dental journal, 29(4), pp. 185–193.
- Felicita, A. S. (2017b) ‘Quantification of intrusive/retraction force and moment generated during en-masse retraction of maxillary anterior teeth using mini-implants: A conceptual approach’, Dental press journal of orthodontics, 22(5), pp. 47–55.
- Felicita, A. S. (2018) ‘Orthodontic extrusion of Ellis Class VIII fracture of maxillary lateral incisor--The sling shot method’, The Saudi dental journal, 30(3), pp. 265–269.
- Felicita, A. S., Chandrasekar, S. and Shanthasundari, K. K. (2012) ‘Determination of craniofacial relation among the subethnic Indian population: a modified approach - (Sagittal relation)’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 23(3), pp. 305–312.
- Jain, R. K., Kumar, S. P. and Manjula, W. S. (2014) ‘Comparison of intrusion effects on maxillary incisors among mini implant anchorage, j-hook headgear and utility arch’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 8(7), pp. ZC21–4.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kamisetty, S. K. et al. (2015) ‘SBS vs Inhouse Recycling Methods-An Invitro Evaluation’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 9(9), pp. ZC04–8.
- Krishnan, S., Pandian, S. and Kumar S, A. (2015) ‘Effect of bisphosphonates on orthodontic tooth movement-an update’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 9(4), pp. ZE01–5.
- Krishnaswamy, H. et al. (2020) ‘Investigation of air conditioning temperature variation by modifying the structure of passenger car using computational fluid dynamics’, Thermal Science, 24(1 Part B), pp. 495–498.
- Kumar, K. R. R. et al. (2011) ‘Depth of resin penetration into enamel with 3 types of enamel conditioning methods: A confocal microscopic study’, American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, pp. 479–485. doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2010.10.022.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Manivannan, I. et al. (2017) ‘Tribological and surface behavior of silicon carbide reinforced aluminum matrix nanocomposite’, Surfaces and Interfaces, 8, pp. 127–136.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Mladenović, D., Mladenović, L. and Mladenović, S. (2010) ‘Importance of digital dental photography in the practice of dentistry’, Acta Facultatis Medicae Naissensis, 27(2). Available at: http://publisher.medfak.ni.ac.rs/AFMN_1/2010/2-2010/4%20Dragan%20Mladenovic.pdf.
- Moncada, G. et al. (2014) ‘Evaluation of dental restorations: a comparative study between clinical and digital photographic assessments’, Operative dentistry, 39(2), pp. E45–56.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2010) ‘Root and Canal Morphology of Mandibular Second Molars in an Indian Population’, Journal of endodontics, 36(8), pp. 1319–1322.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Photoactivation of curcumin and sodium hypochlorite to enhance antibiofilm efficacy in root canal dentin’, Photodiagnosis and photodynamic therapy, 12(1), pp. 108–114.
- Ramamoorthi, S., Nivedhitha, M. S. and Divyanand, M. J. (2015) ‘Comparative evaluation of postoperative pain after using endodontic needle and EndoActivator during root canal irrigation: A randomised controlled trial’, Australian endodontic journal: the journal of the Australian Society of Endodontology Inc, 41(2), pp. 78–87.
- Ramshankar, V. et al. (2014) ‘Risk stratification of early stage oral tongue cancers based on HPV status and p16 immunoexpression’, Asian Pacific journal of cancer prevention: APJCP, 15(19), pp. 8351–8359.
- Ravindiran, M. and Praveenkumar, C. (2018) ‘Status review and the future prospects of CZTS based solar cell – A novel approach on the device structure and material modeling for CZTS based photovoltaic device’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 94, pp. 317–329.
- Rubika, J., Sumathi Felicita, A. and Sivambiga, V. (2015) ‘Gonial Angle as an Indicator for the Prediction of Growth Pattern’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 161–163. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1334.
- Samantha, C. et al. (2017) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Two Bis-GMA Based Orthodontic Bonding Adhesives - A Randomized Clinical Trial’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(4), pp. ZC40–ZC44.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sathish, T. and Karthick, S. (2020) ‘Wear behaviour analysis on aluminium alloy 7050 with reinforced SiC through taguchi approach’, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 9(3), pp. 3481–3487.
- Sharland, M. R. et al. (2004) ‘Use of dental photography by general dental practitioners in Great Britain’, Dental update, 31(4), pp. 199–202.
- Sivamurthy, G. and Sundari, S. (2016) ‘Stress distribution patterns at mini-implant site during retraction and intrusion—a three-dimensional finite element study’, Progress in orthodontics, 17(1), p. 4.
- Sumathi, C. et al. (2014) ‘Production of prodigiosin using tannery fleshing and evaluating its pharmacological effects’, TheScientificWorldJournal, 2014, p. 290327.
- Surapaneni, K. M. and Jainu, M. (2014) ‘Comparative effect of pioglitazone, quercetin and hydroxy citric acid on the status of lipid peroxidation and antioxidants in experimental non-alcoholic steatohepatitis’, Journal of physiology and pharmacology: an official journal of the Polish Physiological Society, 65(1), pp. 67–74.
- Surapaneni, K. M., Priya, V. V. and Mallika, J. (2014) ‘Pioglitazone, quercetin and hydroxy citric acid effect on cytochrome P450 2E1 (CYP2E1) enzyme levels in experimentally induced non alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)’, European review for medical and pharmacological sciences, 18(18), pp. 2736–2741.
- Vikram, N. R. et al. (2017) ‘Ball Headed Mini Implant’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(1), pp. ZL02–ZL03.
- Viswanath, A. et al. (2015) ‘Obstructive sleep apnea: awakening the hidden truth’, Nigerian journal of clinical practice, 18(1), pp. 1–7.
- Article View: 19
- PDF Download: 11