Prevalence of aphthous stomatitis reported in a private dental institution - a retrospective study
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2020, Volume 26, Issue 2, Pages 135-140
AbstractAphthous ulcers or recurrent aphthous stomatitis (RAS) are benign ulcerated lesions common in oral mucosa with uncertain etiology, considered as immunologically mediated hence management of recurrence becomes challenging .The aim of the study was to assess the prevalence of various clinical types of Aphthous stomatitis reported in Oral Medicine Department of Saveetha Dental College. A total of 44 cases were collected from the Oral Medicine Department of Saveetha Dental College. The incomplete documented cases were not included. Statistical tests were used to calculate the frequency of age, gender, type of Aphthous ulcer and site of aphthous ulcer. The Pearson chi square test was used and analyzed in SPSS version 26. The comparison of frequency of age showed that aphthous ulcer was common in 20 to 35 years of age. On analysis of frequency distribution of Aphthousstomatitis males were higher [68%] than females [32%]. On comparing the clinical types of Aphthous ulcer , minor aphthous ulcer [79.5%] was higher than major aphthous ulcer [13.6%] and Herpetiform ulcer [6.8%] was least prevalent.On comparing the various site of Aphthous ulcer, tongue prevalence [36.6%] was higher. Pearson chi square association analysis of type of aphthous stomatitis with clinical site revealed statistical significance with p value <0.05.Minor aphthous ulcer more prevalent in tongue while major aphthous ulcer in labial mucosa and herpetiform in buccal mucosa.
- Abdullah, M. J. (2013) ‘Prevalence of recurrent aphthous ulceration experience in patients attending Piramird dental speciality in Sulaimani City’, Journal of clinical and experimental dentistry, 5(2), pp. e89–94.
- Abraham, S. et al. (2005) ‘Evaluation of the inhibitory effect of triphala on PMN-type matrix metalloproteinase (MMP-9)’, Journal of periodontology, 76(4), pp. 497–502.
- Arja, C. et al. (2013) ‘Oxidative stress and antioxidant enzyme activity in South Indian male smokers with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease’, Respirology , 18(7), pp. 1069–1075.
- Chaitanya, N. C. et al. (2017) ‘Role of Vitamin E and Vitamin A in Oral Mucositis Induced by Cancer Chemo/Radiotherapy- A Meta-analysis’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(5), pp. ZE06–ZE09.
- Chaitanya, N. C. et al. (2018) ‘An Insight and Update on the Analgesic Properties of Vitamin C’, Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences, 10(3), pp. 119–125.
- Choudhury, P. et al. (2015) ‘Vanishing roots: first case report of idiopathic multiple cervico-apical external root resorption’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 9(3), pp. ZD17–9.
- Devaki, T., Sathivel, A. and BalajiRaghavendran, H. R. (2009) ‘Stabilization of mitochondrial and microsomal function by polysaccharide of Ulva lactuca on D-Galactosamine induced hepatitis in rats’, Chemico-biological interactions, 177(2), pp. 83–88.
- Dharman, S. and Muthukrishnan, A. (2016) ‘Oral mucous membrane pemphigoid – Two case reports with varied clinical presentation’, Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, p. 630. doi: 10.4103/jisp.jisp_155_16.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Krishnaswamy, H. et al. (2020) ‘Investigation of air conditioning temperature variation by modifying the structure of passenger car using computational fluid dynamics’, Thermal Science, 24(1 Part B), pp. 495–498.
- Maheswari, T. N. U. et al. (2018) ‘Salivary micro RNA as a potential biomarker in oral potentially malignant disorders: A systematic review’, Ci ji yi xue za zhi = Tzu-chi medical journal, 30(2), pp. 55–60.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Manivannan, I. et al. (2017) ‘Tribological and surface behavior of silicon carbide reinforced aluminum matrix nanocomposite’, Surfaces and Interfaces, 8, pp. 127–136.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Misra, S. R. et al. (2015) ‘Metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma in the maxilla and mandible, an extremely rare presentation’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 6(Suppl 1), pp. S117–21.
- Muthukrishnan, A. and Bijai Kumar, L. (2017) ‘Actinic cheilosis: early intervention prevents malignant transformation’, BMJ case reports, 2017. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2016-218654.
- Muthukrishnan, A., Bijai Kumar, L. and Ramalingam, G. (2016) ‘Medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: a dentist’s nightmare’, BMJ case reports, 2016. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2016-214626.
- Muthukrishnan, A. and Warnakulasuriya, S. (2018) ‘Oral health consequences of smokeless tobacco use’, The Indian journal of medical research, 148(1), pp. 35–40.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2010) ‘Root and Canal Morphology of Mandibular Second Molars in an Indian Population’, Journal of endodontics, 36(8), pp. 1319–1322.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Photoactivation of curcumin and sodium hypochlorite to enhance antibiofilm efficacy in root canal dentin’, Photodiagnosis and photodynamic therapy, 12(1), pp. 108–114.
- Okoh, M. and Ikechukwu, O. (2019) ‘Presentation of recurrent aphthous ulcer among patients in a tertiary hospital’, African Journal of Oral Health, 8(2). doi: 10.4314/ajoh.v8i2.
- Patil, S. et al. (2014) ‘Prevalence of recurrent aphthous ulceration in the Indian Population’, Journal of clinical and experimental dentistry, 6(1), pp. e36–40.
- Patil, S. R. et al. (2018) ‘Three-Rooted Mandibular First Molars in a Saudi Arabian Population: A CBCT Study’, Pesquisa brasileira em odontopediatria e clinica integrada, 18(1), p. 4133.
- Ramamoorthi, S., Nivedhitha, M. S. and Divyanand, M. J. (2015) ‘Comparative evaluation of postoperative pain after using endodontic needle and EndoActivator during root canal irrigation: A randomised controlled trial’, Australian endodontic journal: the journal of the Australian Society of Endodontology Inc, 41(2), pp. 78–87.
- Ramshankar, V. et al. (2014) ‘Risk stratification of early stage oral tongue cancers based on HPV status and p16 immunoexpression’, Asian Pacific journal of cancer prevention: APJCP, 15(19), pp. 8351–8359.
- Ravindiran, M. and Praveenkumar, C. (2018) ‘Status review and the future prospects of CZTS based solar cell – A novel approach on the device structure and material modeling for CZTS based photovoltaic device’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 94, pp. 317–329.
- Rohini, S. and Jayanth Kumar, V. (2017) ‘Incidence of dental caries and pericoronitis associated with impacted mandibular third molar-A radiographic study’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1081. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2017.00196.2.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sathish, T. and Karthick, S. (2020) ‘Wear behaviour analysis on aluminium alloy 7050 with reinforced SiC through taguchi approach’, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 9(3), pp. 3481–3487.
- Steele, J. C. et al. (2015) ‘World Workshop on Oral Medicine VI: an international validation study of clinical competencies for advanced training in oral medicine’, Oral surgery, oral medicine, oral pathology and oral radiology, 120(2), pp. 143–51.e7.
- Subashri, A. and Uma Maheshwari, T. N. (2016) ‘Knowledge and attitude of oral hygiene practice among dental students’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1840. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00375.9.
- Subha, M. and Arvind, M. (2019) ‘Role of magnetic resonance imaging in evaluation of trigeminal neuralgia with its anatomical correlation’, Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal, 12(1), pp. 289–296.
- Sumathi, C. et al. (2014) ‘Production of prodigiosin using tannery fleshing and evaluating its pharmacological effects’, TheScientificWorldJournal, 2014, p. 290327.
- Surapaneni, K. M. and Jainu, M. (2014) ‘Comparative effect of pioglitazone, quercetin and hydroxy citric acid on the status of lipid peroxidation and antioxidants in experimental non-alcoholic steatohepatitis’, Journal of physiology and pharmacology: an official journal of the Polish Physiological Society, 65(1), pp. 67–74.
- Surapaneni, K. M., Priya, V. V. and Mallika, J. (2014) ‘Pioglitazone, quercetin and hydroxy citric acid effect on cytochrome P450 2E1 (CYP2E1) enzyme levels in experimentally induced non alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)’, European review for medical and pharmacological sciences, 18(18), pp. 2736–2741.
- Venugopal, A. and Uma Maheswari, T. N. (2016) ‘Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in oral potentially malignant disorders: A systematic review’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial pathology: JOMFP, 20(3), pp. 474–479.
- Article View: 38
- PDF Download: 39