Estimation of prevalence of gingival enlargement - a population-based study
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2020, Volume 26, Issue 2, Pages 309-315
AbstractGingival enlargement is an increase in the size of the gingiva. It is also known as the gingival hyperplasia or hypertrophy. They can be categorised based on their etiology, pathogenesis, location, size and extent. Inflammatory gingival enlargement is a most common form and clinically present as soft and discolored gingiva. Drug induced gingival enlargement is a well recognised adverse effect of certain systemic medications. Calcium channel blockers, Anticonvulsants and Immunosuppressants are frequently implicated drugs in the etiology of drug induced enlargement. The aim of the study is to assess the prevalence of gingival enlargement and its distribution.
To assess the prevalence of inflammatory and drug induced enlargement.
To compare the prevalence of gingival enlargement in different age groups.
To compare the prevalence of gingival enlargement in male and female.
To compare the prevalence of gingival enlargement in response to different types of drugs.
The study was a retrospective, University based study. Case sheets of patients visiting the dental outpatient ward June 2019 to March 2020 were collected. Patients diagnosed with gingival enlargement were sorted and tabulated in Microsoft excel sheet and analysed using SPSS software. In the present study, out of 40,000 patients, the prevalence of inflammatory enlargement was found to be 0.1% and the drug induced enlargement was 0.03%. Drug induced enlargement was more prevalent in males than in females, whereas inflammatory enlargement was more prevalent in females than males, there was no statistically significant difference in the prevalence rate between age groups (p= 0.362) and gender (p= 0.210). On comparing the drugs, phenytoin was consumed by one third of the population (43%) but had a higher prevalence rate of 65% than antihypertensive drugs (28% )and immunosuppressants (7% ).
- Abraham S, Kumar MS, Sehgal PK, et al. (2005) Evaluation of the inhibitory effect of triphala on PMN-type matrix metalloproteinase (MMP-9). Journal of periodontology 76(4): 497–502.
- Agrawal AA (2015) Gingival enlargements: Differential diagnosis and review of literature. World journal of clinical cases 3(9): 779–788.
- Agrawal C, Pudakalakatti P, Shah MP, et al. (2017) Detection and Assessment of Human Cytomegalo Virus, Epstein -Barr Virus -1 and Herpes Simplex Virus in Patients with Chronic Periodontitis of Varying Pocket Depths. RUHS Journal of Health Science. DOI: 10.37821/ruhsjhs.2.4.2017.174-180.
- Arja C, Surapaneni KM, Raya P, et al. (2013) Oxidative stress and antioxidant enzyme activity in South Indian male smokers with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respirology 18(7): 1069–1075.
- Avinash K, Malaippan S and Dooraiswamy JN (2017) Methods of Isolation and Characterization of Stem Cells from Different Regions of Oral Cavity Using Markers: A Systematic Review. International journal of stem cells 10(1): 12–20.
- Barak S, Engelberg IS and Hiss J (1987) Gingival hyperplasia caused by nifedipine. Histopathologic findings. Journal of periodontology 58(9): 639–642.
- Barclay S, Thomason JM, Idle JR, et al. (1992) The incidence and severity of nifedipine-induced gingival overgrowth. Journal of Clinical Periodontology. DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-051x.1992.tb00650.x.
- Corrêa JD, Queiroz-Junior CM, Costa JE, et al. (2011) Phenytoin-induced gingival overgrowth: a review of the molecular, immune, and inflammatory features. ISRN dentistry 2011: 497850.
- Devaki T, Sathivel A and BalajiRaghavendran HR (2009) Stabilization of mitochondrial and microsomal function by polysaccharide of Ulva lactuca on D-Galactosamine induced hepatitis in rats. Chemico-biological interactions 177(2): 83–88.
- Ellis JS, Seymour RA, Steele JG, et al. (1999) Prevalence of gingival overgrowth induced by calcium channel blockers: a community-based study. Journal of periodontology 70(1): 63–67.
- Ellis JS, Thomason JM and Seymour RA (2006) The management of drug‐induced gingival overgrowth. Journal of clinical. Wiley Online Library. Available at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2006.00930.x.
- Ezhilarasan D (2018) Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective. Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology 19(2): 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan D, Sokal E and Najimi M (2018) Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets. Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT 17(3): 192–197.
- Gopal S, Joseph R, Santhosh VC, et al. (2015) Prevalence of gingival overgrowth induced by antihypertensive drugs: A hospital-based study. Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology 19(3): 308–311.
- Goyal L (2017) Periodontal Management of Phenytoin Induced Gingival Enlargement: A Case Report. Journal of Dental Health, Oral Disorders & Therapy. DOI: 10.15406/jdhodt.2017.08.00271.
- Hallmon WW and Rossmann JA (1999) The role of drugs in the pathogenesis of gingival overgrowth. A collective review of current concepts. Periodontology 2000 21: 176–196.
- Hassell TM (1981) Epilepsy and the oral manifestations of phenytoin therapy. Monographs in oral science 9: 1–205.
- Jorgensen MG (1997) Prevalence of amlodipine‐related gingival hyperplasia. Journal of periodontology. Wiley Online Library. Available at: https://aap.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1902/jop.19184.108.40.2066.
- Joshi NH, Deshpande AN, Deshpande NC, et al. (2017) Comparative evaluation of oral hygiene status and gingival enlargement among epileptic and healthy children as related to various antiepileptic drugs. Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology 21(2): 125–129.
- J PC, Marimuthu T, C K, et al. (2018) Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study. Clinical implant dentistry and related research 20(4): 531–534.
- Kavarthapu A and Thamaraiselvan M (2018) Assessing the variation in course and position of inferior alveolar nerve among south Indian population: A cone beam computed tomographic study. Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research 29(4): 405–409.
- Khalid W, Vargheese SS, Lakshmanan R, et al. (2016) Role of endothelin-1 in periodontal diseases: A structured review. Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research 27(3): 323–333.
- Khalid W, Varghese SS, Sankari M, et al. (2017) Comparison of Serum Levels of Endothelin-1 in Chronic Periodontitis Patients Before and After Treatment. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR 11(4): ZC78–ZC81.
- Khosla S, Oursler MJ and Monroe DG (2012) Estrogen and the skeleton. Trends in endocrinology and metabolism: TEM 23(11): 576–581.
- Krishna KB, Raju PK, Chitturi RR, et al. (2014) Prevalence of gingival enlargement in Karnataka school going children. Journal of international oral health : JIOH 6(1): 106–110.
- Krishnaswamy H, Muthukrishnan S, Thanikodi S, et al. (2020) Investigation of air conditioning temperature variation by modifying the structure of passenger car using computational fluid dynamics. Thermal Science 24(1 Part B): 495–498.
- Malli Sureshbabu N, Selvarasu K, V JK, et al. (2019) Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases. Case reports in dentistry 2019: 7046203.
- Manivannan I, Ranganathan S, Gopalakannan S, et al. (2017) Tribological and surface behavior of silicon carbide reinforced aluminum matrix nanocomposite. Surfaces and Interfaces 8. Elsevier: 127–136.
- Markou E, Eleana B, Lazaros T, et al. (2009) The influence of sex steroid hormones on gingiva of women. The open dentistry journal 3: 114–119.
- Mehta M, Deeksha, Tewari D, et al. (2019) Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases. Chemico-biological interactions 308: 206–215.
- Mootha A, Malaiappan S, Jayakumar ND, et al. (2016) The Effect of Periodontitis on Expression of Interleukin-21: A Systematic Review. International journal of inflammation 2016: 3507503.
- Neelakantan P, ChandanaSubbarao, VenkataSubbarao C, et al. (2010) Root and Canal Morphology of Mandibular Second Molars in an Indian Population. Journal of endodontics 36(8). Elsevier: 1319–1322.
- Neelakantan P, Cheng CQ, Ravichandran V, et al. (2015) Photoactivation of curcumin and sodium hypochlorite to enhance antibiofilm efficacy in root canal dentin. Photodiagnosis and photodynamic therapy 12(1): 108–114.
- Panda S, Jayakumar ND, Sankari M, et al. (2014) Platelet rich fibrin and xenograft in treatment of intrabony defect. Contemporary clinical dentistry 5(4): 550–554.
- Ramamoorthi S, Nivedhitha MS and Divyanand MJ (2015) Comparative evaluation of postoperative pain after using endodontic needle and EndoActivator during root canal irrigation: A randomised controlled trial. Australian endodontic journal: the journal of the Australian Society of Endodontology Inc 41(2): 78–87.
- Ramamurthy J and Mg V (2018) COMPARISON OF EFFECT OF HIORA MOUTHWASH VERSUS CHLORHEXIDINE MOUTHWASH IN GINGIVITIS PATIENTS: A CLINICAL TRIAL. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 11(7): 84–88.
- Ramesh A, Varghese Sheeja S., Jayakumar ND, et al. (2016) Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and periodontitis – unwinding their linking mechanisms. Journal of Oral Biosciences. DOI: 10.1016/j.job.2015.09.001.
- Ramesh A, Varghese Sheeja Saji, Doraiswamy JN, et al. (2016) Herbs as an antioxidant arsenal for periodontal diseases. Journal of intercultural ethnopharmacology 5(1): 92–96.
- Ramesh A, Ravi S and Kaarthikeyan G (2017) Comprehensive rehabilitation using dental implants in generalized aggressive periodontitis. Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology 21(2): 160–163.
- Ramesh A, Vellayappan R, Ravi S, et al. (2019) Esthetic lip repositioning: A cosmetic approach for correction of gummy smile - A case series. Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology 23(3): 290–294.
- Ramshankar V, Soundara VT, Shyamsundar V, et al. (2014) Risk stratification of early stage oral tongue cancers based on HPV status and p16 immunoexpression. Asian Pacific journal of cancer prevention: APJCP 15(19): 8351–8359.
- Rateitschak‐Plüss EM and Hefti A (1983) Initial observation that cyclosporin‐A induces gingival enlargement in man. Journal of clinical. Wiley Online Library. Available at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1983.tb01272.x.
- Ravindiran M and Praveenkumar C (2018) Status review and the future prospects of CZTS based solar cell – A novel approach on the device structure and material modeling for CZTS based photovoltaic device. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 94. Pergamon: 317–329.
- Ravi S, Malaiappan S and Varghese S (2017) Additive Effect of Plasma Rich in Growth Factors With Guided Tissue Regeneration in Treatment of Intrabony Defects in Patients With Chronic Periodontitis: A Split …. Journal of. Wiley Online Library. Available at: https://aap.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1902/jop.2017.160824.
- Samuel SR, Acharya S and Rao JC (2020) School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial. Journal of public health dentistry 80(1): 51–60.
- Sathish T and Karthick S (2020) Wear behaviour analysis on aluminium alloy 7050 with reinforced SiC through taguchi approach. Journal of Materials Research and Technology 9(3). Elsevier: 3481–3487.
- Sumathi C, MohanaPriya D, Swarnalatha S, et al. (2014) Production of prodigiosin using tannery fleshing and evaluating its pharmacological effects. TheScientificWorldJournal 2014: 290327.
- Surapaneni KM and Jainu M (2014) Comparative effect of pioglitazone, quercetin and hydroxy citric acid on the status of lipid peroxidation and antioxidants in experimental non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. Journal of physiology and pharmacology: an official journal of the Polish Physiological Society 65(1): 67–74.
- Surapaneni KM, Priya VV and Mallika J (2014) Pioglitazone, quercetin and hydroxy citric acid effect on cytochrome P450 2E1 (CYP2E1) enzyme levels in experimentally induced non alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). European review for medical and pharmacological sciences 18(18): 2736–2741.
- Thamaraiselvan M, Elavarasu S, Thangakumaran S, et al. (2015) Comparative clinical evaluation of coronally advanced flap with or without platelet rich fibrin membrane in the treatment of isolated gingival recession. Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology 19(1): 66–71.
- Thomason JM, Seymour RA, Ellis JS, et al. (1995) Iatrogenic gingival overgrowth in cardiac transplantation. Journal of periodontology 66(8): 742–746.
- Varghese SS, Thomas H, Jayakumar ND, et al. (2015) Estimation of salivary tumor necrosis factor-alpha in chronic and aggressive periodontitis patients. Contemporary clinical dentistry 6(Suppl 1): S152–6.
- Article View: 60
- PDF Download: 91