Job-related stressors: challenges and hindrances in innovative work
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2020, Volume 26, Issue 2, Pages 460-465
AbstractWork Stress is one of the most demoralizing and perilous hindrance which affects the overall effectiveness of any employee. Especially in the IT industry, where the intellectual ability of employees plays a major role, work related stressors need to be identified. The objective of the study is to examine the job-related stressors experienced by employees in the IT sector. Some of the work-related stressors considered in the study are job insecurity, workload, feedback and suggestions, daily challenge in work and daily hindrance in work. The sample size of the study is 60 and respondents were IT employees. Regression analysis is used to identify the significant stressors suffered by employees. The results suggest that workload is the significant stressor of work stress. Suggestions are given to line managers to help them handle the stress experienced by their workers.
- A.C.Gomathi, S.R.Xavier Rajarathinam, A.Mohammed Sadiqc, Rajeshkumar, 2020. Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line. J. Drug Deliv. Sci. Technol. 55.
- Ahmed, R.R., Warraich, U.A., Ahmad, N., Khoso, I., 2014. Impact of Stress on Job Performance: An Empirical study of the Employees of Private Sector Universities of Karachi, Pakistan 3, 14–17.
- Bakker, A.B., Demerouti, E., de Boer, E., Schaufeli, W.B., 2003. Job demands and job resources as predictors of absence duration and frequency. J. Vocat. Behav. 62, 341–356.
- Beehr, T.A., Walsh, J.T., Taber, T.D., 1976. Relationships of stress to individually and organizationally valued states: Higher order needs as a moderator. J. Appl. Psychol. 61, 41.
- Belete, H., Ergetie, T., Ali, T., Birhanu, S., Belete, T., 2020. Work-Related Stress and Associated Factors Among Textile Factory Employees in Northwest Ethiopia: A Cross-Sectional Study. Psychol. Res. Behav. Manag. 13, 1071–1078.
- Cartwright, K., Lewis, D., Roberts, C., Bint, A., Nichols, T., Warburton, F., 2002. Workload and stress in consultant medical microbiologists and virologists: a questionnaire survey. J. Clin. Pathol. 55, 200–205.
- Charu, M., 2013. Effect of Occupational Stress on QWL: Amongst the Associates of IT Industry. Advances In Management.
- Danda, A.K., Ravi, P., 2011. Effectiveness of postoperative antibiotics in orthognathic surgery: a meta-analysis. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 69, 2650–2656.
- Danda, A.K., S, R., Chinnaswami, R., 2009. Comparison of gap arthroplasty with and without a temporalis muscle flap for the treatment of ankylosis. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 67, 1425–1431.
- Dua, K., Wadhwa, R., Singhvi, G., Rapalli, V., Shukla, S.D., Shastri, M.D., Gupta, G., Satija, S., Mehta, M., Khurana, N., Awasthi, R., Maurya, P.K., Thangavelu, L., S, R., Tambuwala, M.M., Collet, T., Hansbro, P.M., Chellappan, D.K., 2019. The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress. Drug Dev. Res. 80, 714–730.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V.S., Ashok Vardhan, N., 2019. Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells. J. Oral Pathol. Med. 48, 115–121.
- Gaunt, R., Benjamin, O., 2007. Job insecurity, stress and gender: The moderating role of gender ideology. Community Work Fam. 10, 341–355.
- Gladies, J.J., Kennedy, V., 2011. Impact of organisational climate on job stress for women employees in information technology sector in India. Asia Pacific Journal of Research in business management 2, 66–76.
- Glaser, D.N., Tatum, B.C., Nebeker, D.M., Sorenson, R.C., Aiello, J.R., 1999. Workload and social support: Effects on performance and stress. Hum. Perform. 12, 155–176.
- Heaney, C.A., Israel, B.A., House, J.S., 1994. Chronic job insecurity among automobile workers: effects on job satisfaction and health. Soc. Sci. Med. 38, 1431–1437.
- Hellgren, J., Sverke, M., Isaksson, K., 1999. A Two-dimensional Approach to Job Insecurity: Consequences for Employee Attitudes and Well-being. Eur. J. Work Org. Psychol. 8, 179–195.
- Hon, A.H.Y., Chan, W.W.H., Lu, L., 2013. Overcoming work-related stress and promoting employee creativity in hotel industry: The role of task feedback from supervisor. Int. J. Hosp. Manage. 33, 416–424.
- Khalid, A., Zafar, A., Zafar, M.A., Saqib, L., Mushtaq, R., 2012. Role of Supportive Leadership as a Moderator between Job Stress and Job Performance. Information Management and Business Review 4, 487–495.
- Krishnan, R., Chary, K.V., 2015. A rare case modafinil dependence. J. Pharmacol. Pharmacother. 6, 49–50.
- Manivannan, I., Ranganathan, S., Gopalakannan, S. et al., 2018. Mechanical Properties and Tribological Behavior of Al6061–SiC–Gr Self-Lubricating Hybrid Nanocomposites. Trans Indian Inst Met 71, 1897–1911.
- Meneze, M.M., 2005. The Impact of Stress on productivity at Education Training & Development Practices: Sector Education and Training Authority. Pretoria, South Africa: University of Pretoria.
- Nagesh, P., Murthy, M.S., 2008. Stress Management at IT Call Centers: A Case Study. ICFAI Journal of Soft Skills 2.
- Narayanan, V., Kannan, R., Sreekumar, K., 2009. Retromandibular approach for reduction and fixation of mandibular condylar fractures: a clinical experience. Int. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 38, 835–839.
- Narayanan, V., Ramadorai, A., Ravi, P., Nirvikalpa, N., 2012. Transmasseteric anterior parotid approach for condylar fractures: experience of 129 cases. Br. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 50, 420–424.
- Neelakantan, P., John, S., Anand, S., Sureshbabu, N., Subbarao, C., 2011. Fluoride release from a new glass-ionomer cement. Oper. Dent. 36, 80–85.
- Neelakantan, P., Sharma, S., 2015. Pain after single-visit root canal treatment with two single-file systems based on different kinematics--a prospective randomized multicenter clinical study. Clin. Oral Investig. 19, 2211–2217.
- Neelakantan, P., Subbarao, C., Sharma, S., Subbarao, C.V., Garcia-Godoy, F., Gutmann, J.L., 2013. Effectiveness of curcumin against Enterococcus faecalis biofilm. Acta Odontol. Scand. 71, 1453–1457.
- Ohly, S., Fritz, C., 2009. Work characteristics, challenge appraisal, creativity, and proactive behavior: A multi-level study. J. Organ. Behav. 31, 543–565.
- Padma, V., Anand, N.N., Gurukul, S.M.G.S., Javid, S.M.A.S.M., Prasad, A., Arun, S., 2015. Health problems and stress in Information Technology and Business Process Outsourcing employees. J. Pharm. Bioallied Sci. 7, S9–S13.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G., Subramanian, E.M.G., 2019. Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial. Eur. Arch. Paediatr. Dent. 20, 467–472.
- Prasanna, N., Subbarao, C.V., Gutmann, J.L., 2011. The efficacy of pre-operative oral medication of lornoxicam and diclofenac potassium on the success of inferior alveolar nerve block in patients with irreversible pulpitis: a double-blind, randomised controlled clinical trial. Int. Endod. J. 44, 330–336.
- Priya S, R., Krishnan, C., S, J.R., Das}, J., 2009. Growth and characterization of NLO active lithium sulphate monohydrate single crystals. Crystal research and technology 44, 1272–76`.
- Rajeshkumar, S., Menon, S., Venkat Kumar, S., Tambuwala, M.M., Bakshi, H.A., Mehta, M., Satija, S., Gupta, G., Chellappan, D.K., Thangavelu, L., Dua, K., 2019. Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract. J. Photochem. Photobiol. B 197, 111531.
- Ramadurai, N., Gurunathan, D., Samuel, A.V., Subramanian, E., Rodrigues, S.J.L., 2019. Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial. Clin. Oral Investig. 23, 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R., Subramanian, E.M.G., 2019. Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review. Saudi Dent J 31, 165–172.
- Ramesh, A., Varghese, S.S., Doraiswamy, J.N., Malaiappan, S., 2016. Herbs as an antioxidant arsenal for periodontal diseases. J Intercult Ethnopharmacol 5, 92–96.
- Rizzo, J.R., House, R.J., Lirtzman, S.I., 1970. Role Conflict and Ambiguity in Complex Organizations. Adm. Sci. Q. 15, 150–163.
- Seibt, R., Spitzer, S., Blank, M., Scheuch, K., 2009. Predictors of work ability in occupations with psychological stress. J. Public Health 17, 9–18.
- Srivastav, A.K., 2010. Heterogeneity of role stress. Research and Practice in Human Resource Management 18, 16–27.
- Venugopalan, S., Ariga, P., Aggarwal, P., Viswanath, A., 2014. Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis. Niger. J. Clin. Pract. 17, 260–264.
- Article View: 16
- PDF Download: 29