Innovative stealth marketing strategies and its ethical issues
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2020, Volume 26, Issue 2, Pages 508-514
AbstractPeople have been bombarded by advertising for decades; every TV channel watched in, every social media page posted, every magazine opened, the advertisements are there. Audiences have grown with this.We have learned to filter messages, prevent advertisements from our views and minds, and exercise selective attention and concentrate on only what we want In fact, consumers now have the potential to 'protect' themselves from different marketing ads with technology such as remote control, ad blockers, web filtering, and many more.From an ethical perspective, this paper will address the issue of stealth marketing within the scope of its practises. Issues to be addressed include the impact of stealth marketing on audiences, the rationale for the practise, and some recommendations. Here this study involves a descriptive research method as research design and samples for the finding purpose were collected from 85 respondents along with the help of primary data. The research findings were analyzed using tools like frequency analysis, mean analysis, independent t test and ANOVA analysis.
- A.C.Gomathi, S.R.Xavier Rajarathinam, A.Mohammed Sadiqc, Rajeshkumar, 2020. Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line. J. Drug Deliv. Sci. Technol. 55.
- Danda, A.K., Ravi, P., 2011. Effectiveness of postoperative antibiotics in orthognathic surgery: a meta-analysis. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 69, 2650–2656.
- Danda, A.K., S, R., Chinnaswami, R., 2009. Comparison of gap arthroplasty with and without a temporalis muscle flap for the treatment of ankylosis. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 67, 1425–1431.
- Dua, K., Wadhwa, R., Singhvi, G., Rapalli, V., Shukla, S.D., Shastri, M.D., Gupta, G., Satija, S., Mehta, M., Khurana, N., Awasthi, R., Maurya, P.K., Thangavelu, L., S, R., Tambuwala, M.M., Collet, T., Hansbro, P.M., Chellappan, D.K., 2019. The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress. Drug Dev. Res. 80, 714–730.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V.S., Ashok Vardhan, N., 2019. Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells. J. Oral Pathol. Med. 48, 115–121.
- Goodman, E.P., 2006. Stealth marketing and editorial integrity. Tex. Law Rev. 85, 83.
- Kaikati, A.M., Kaikati, J.G., 2004. Stealth Marketing: How to Reach Consumers Surreptitiously. Calif. Manage. Rev. 46, 6–22.
- Katyal, S.K., 2010. Stealth marketing and antibranding: the love that dare not speak its name. Buffalo Law Rev.
- Kirby, J., Marsden, P., 2006. Connected Marketing: The Viral, Buzz and Word of Mouth Revolution. Elsevier.
- Krishnan, R., Chary, K.V., 2015. A rare case modafinil dependence. J. Pharmacol. Pharmacother. 6, 49–50.
- Manivannan, I., Ranganathan, S., Gopalakannan, S. et al., 2018. Mechanical Properties and Tribological Behavior of Al6061–SiC–Gr Self-Lubricating Hybrid Nanocomposites. Trans Indian Inst Met 71, 1897–1911.
- Martin, K.D., Smith, N.C., 2008. Commercializing Social Interaction: The Ethics of Stealth Marketing. Journal of Public Policy & Marketing 27, 45–56.
- Milne, G.R., Bahl, S., Rohm, A., 2008. Toward a Framework for Assessing Covert Marketing Practices. Journal of Public Policy & Marketing 27, 57–62.
- Moura, P., 2011. Harmless Tweets or Deceptive Speech: The Problem of Stealth Marketing in New Media, the Dual Regulatory Roles of the FTC, and the Market for Social Capital. Whittier Law Rev. 33, 613.
- Narayanan, V., Kannan, R., Sreekumar, K., 2009. Retromandibular approach for reduction and fixation of mandibular condylar fractures: a clinical experience. Int. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 38, 835–839.
- Narayanan, V., Ramadorai, A., Ravi, P., Nirvikalpa, N., 2012. Transmasseteric anterior parotid approach for condylar fractures: experience of 129 cases. Br. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 50, 420–424.
- Neelakantan, P., John, S., Anand, S., Sureshbabu, N., Subbarao, C., 2011. Fluoride release from a new glass-ionomer cement. Oper. Dent. 36, 80–85.
- Neelakantan, P., Sharma, S., 2015. Pain after single-visit root canal treatment with two single-file systems based on different kinematics--a prospective randomized multicenter clinical study. Clin. Oral Investig. 19, 2211–2217.
- Neelakantan, P., Subbarao, C., Sharma, S., Subbarao, C.V., Garcia-Godoy, F., Gutmann, J.L., 2013. Effectiveness of curcumin against Enterococcus faecalis biofilm. Acta Odontol. Scand. 71, 1453–1457.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G., Subramanian, E.M.G., 2019. Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial. Eur. Arch. Paediatr. Dent. 20, 467–472.
- Pehlivan, E., Berthon, P., Hughes, M.Ü., Berthon, J.-P., 2015. Keeping up with The Joneses: Stealth, secrets, and duplicity in marketing relationships. Bus. Horiz. 58, 591–598.
- Peighambari, K., Sattari, S., Kordestani, A., Oghazi, P., 2016. Consumer Behavior Research: A Synthesis of the Recent Literature. SAGE Open 6, 2158244016645638.
- Petersson, V., Svensson, M., 2010. Stealth Marketing : The art of deceiving consumers. diva-portal.org.
- Prasanna, N., Subbarao, C.V., Gutmann, J.L., 2011. The efficacy of pre-operative oral medication of lornoxicam and diclofenac potassium on the success of inferior alveolar nerve block in patients with irreversible pulpitis: a double-blind, randomised controlled clinical trial. Int. Endod. J. 44, 330–336.
- Priya S, R., Krishnan, C., S, J.R., Das}, J., 2009. Growth and characterization of NLO active lithium sulphate monohydrate single crystals. Crystal research and technology 44, 1272–76`.
- Rajeshkumar, S., Menon, S., Venkat Kumar, S., Tambuwala, M.M., Bakshi, H.A., Mehta, M., Satija, S., Gupta, G., Chellappan, D.K., Thangavelu, L., Dua, K., 2019. Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract. J. Photochem. Photobiol. B 197, 111531.
- Ramadurai, N., Gurunathan, D., Samuel, A.V., Subramanian, E., Rodrigues, S.J.L., 2019. Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial. Clin. Oral Investig. 23, 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R., Subramanian, E.M.G., 2019. Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review. Saudi Dent J 31, 165–172.
- Ramesh, A., Varghese, S.S., Doraiswamy, J.N., Malaiappan, S., 2016. Herbs as an antioxidant arsenal for periodontal diseases. J Intercult Ethnopharmacol 5, 92–96.
- Roy, A., Chattopadhyay, S.P., 2010. Stealth marketing as a strategy. Bus. Horiz. 53, 69–79.
- Sabir, I., Zakir, M.U., Majid, M.B., n.d. [No title] [WWW Document]. URL https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Muhammad_Majid6/publication/338864175_Impact_of_Stealth_Marketing_on_Sustainable_Development_with_the_Mediating_Role_of_Culture_in_Punjab_Pakistan/links/5e304367458515072d6a8b0c/Impact-of-Stealth-Marketing-on-Sustainable-Development-with-the-Mediating-Role-of-Culture-in-Punjab-Pakistan.pdf (accessed 1.23.21).
- Serra-Cantallops, A., Ramon-Cardona, J., Salvi, F., 2018. The impact of positive emotional experiences on eWOM generation and loyalty. Spanish Journal of Marketing - ESIC 22, 142–162.
- Swanepoel, C., Lye, A., Rugimbana, R., 2009. Virally inspired: A review of the theory of viral stealth marketing. Australasian Marketing Journal (AMJ) 17, 9–15.
- Venugopalan, S., Ariga, P., Aggarwal, P., Viswanath, A., 2014. Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis. Niger. J. Clin. Pract. 17, 260–264.
- Woolcock, M., Others, 2001. The place of social capital in understanding social and economic outcomes. Canadian journal of policy research 2, 11–17.
- Article View: 153
- PDF Download: 168