Workplace incivility and its causes among nurses in andaman and nicobar islands
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2020, Volume 26, Issue 2, Pages 556-563
AbstractWorkplace incivility is one of the major concerns in the healthcare industry. The objective of the study is to understand the concept of workplace incivility, to examine the factors causing workplace incivility, to examine the various steps to eliminate workplace incivility, to find out the influence of demographic variables on workplace incivility and to give suggestions to the targets to cope up with workplace incivility. Descriptive, exploratory and casual research methodology is used, the statistical tools used for analysis are frequency analysis, mean analysis and one way ANOVA. The key cause for workplace incivility among nurses was found to be physicians, and none of the demographic variables such as age, gender, and work experience, hospital location, marital status, and qualification affected workplace incivility.
- A.C.Gomathi, S.R.Xavier Rajarathinam, A.Mohammed Sadiqc, Rajeshkumar, 2020. Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line. J. Drug Deliv. Sci. Technol. 55.
- Andersson, L.M., Pearson, C.M., 1999. Tit for Tat? The Spiraling Effect of Incivility in the Workplace. AMRO 24, 452–471.
- Bambi, S., Guazzini, A., De Felippis, C., Lucchini, A., Rasero, L., 2017. Preventing workplace incivility, lateral violence and bullying between nurses A narrative literature review. Acta Biomed. 88, 39–47.
- Bar-David, S., 2018. What’s in an eye roll? It is time we explore the role of workplace incivility in healthcare. Isr. J. Health Policy Res. 7, 15.
- Cortina, L.M., Magley, V.J., Williams, J.H., Langhout, R.D., 2001. Incivility in the workplace: incidence and impact. J. Occup. Health Psychol. 6, 64–80.
- Danda, A.K., Ravi, P., 2011. Effectiveness of postoperative antibiotics in orthognathic surgery: a meta-analysis. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 69, 2650–2656.
- Danda, A.K., S, R., Chinnaswami, R., 2009. Comparison of gap arthroplasty with and without a temporalis muscle flap for the treatment of ankylosis. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 67, 1425–1431.
- Di Fabio, A., Duradoni, M., 2019. Fighting Incivility in the Workplace for Women and for All Workers: The Challenge of Primary Prevention. Front. Psychol. 10, 1805.
- Doshy, P.V., Wang, J., 2014. Workplace incivility: What do targets say about it? American Journal of Management 14, 30–42.
- Dua, K., Wadhwa, R., Singhvi, G., Rapalli, V., Shukla, S.D., Shastri, M.D., Gupta, G., Satija, S., Mehta, M., Khurana, N., Awasthi, R., Maurya, P.K., Thangavelu, L., S, R., Tambuwala, M.M., Collet, T., Hansbro, P.M., Chellappan, D.K., 2019. The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress. Drug Dev. Res. 80, 714–730.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V.S., Ashok Vardhan, N., 2019. Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells. J. Oral Pathol. Med. 48, 115–121.
- Grandey, A.A., Kern, J.H., Frone, M.R., 2007. Verbal abuse from outsiders versus insiders: comparing frequency, impact on emotional exhaustion, and the role of emotional labor. J. Occup. Health Psychol. 12, 63–79.
- Hutton, S., Gates, D., 2008. Workplace incivility and productivity losses among direct care staff. AAOHN J. 56, 168–175.
- Jarrett, C., 2020. New findings suggest being bullied at work won’t just affect you emotionally, but could also have serious consequences for your health [WWW Document]. BBC Worklife. URL https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20191219-workplace-bullying-is-more-harmful-than-we-realised
- Krishnan, R., Chary, K.V., 2015. A rare case modafinil dependence. J. Pharmacol. Pharmacother. 6, 49–50.
- Lim, S., Lee, A., 2011. Work and nonwork outcomes of workplace incivility: Does family support help? J. Occup. Health Psychol. 16, 95–111.
- Logan, T.R., 2016. Influence of teamwork behaviors on workplace incivility as it applies to nurses. Creight. J. Interdiscip. Lead.. 2, 47.
- Manivannan, I., Ranganathan, S., Gopalakannan, S. et al., 2018. Mechanical Properties and Tribological Behavior of Al6061–SiC–Gr Self-Lubricating Hybrid Nanocomposites. Trans Indian Inst Met 71, 1897–1911.
- Margaret Hodgins, S.M.P.M.-M., march2014. Workplace bullying and incivility: A systematic review of interventions. Int. J. Workplace Health Manage. 7, 54–72.
- McKenna, B.G., Smith, N.A., Poole, S.J., Coverdale, J.H., 2003. Horizontal violence: experiences of Registered Nurses in their first year of practice. J. Adv. Nurs. 42, 90–96.
- Milam, A.C., Spitzmueller, C., Penney, L.M., 2009. Investigating individual differences among targets of workplace incivility. J. Occup. Health Psychol. 14, 58–69.
- Narayanan, V., Kannan, R., Sreekumar, K., 2009. Retromandibular approach for reduction and fixation of mandibular condylar fractures: a clinical experience. Int. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 38, 835–839.
- Narayanan, V., Ramadorai, A., Ravi, P., Nirvikalpa, N., 2012. Transmasseteric anterior parotid approach for condylar fractures: experience of 129 cases. Br. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 50, 420–424.
- Neelakantan, P., John, S., Anand, S., Sureshbabu, N., Subbarao, C., 2011. Fluoride release from a new glass-ionomer cement. Oper. Dent. 36, 80–85.
- Neelakantan, P., Sharma, S., 2015. Pain after single-visit root canal treatment with two single-file systems based on different kinematics--a prospective randomized multicenter clinical study. Clin. Oral Investig. 19, 2211–2217.
- Neelakantan, P., Subbarao, C., Sharma, S., Subbarao, C.V., Garcia-Godoy, F., Gutmann, J.L., 2013. Effectiveness of curcumin against Enterococcus faecalis biofilm. Acta Odontol. Scand. 71, 1453–1457.
- Oyeleye, O., Hanson, P., O’Connor, N., Dunn, D., 2013. Relationship of workplace incivility, stress, and burnout on nurses’ turnover intentions and psychological empowerment. J. Nurs. Adm. 43, 536–542.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G., Subramanian, E.M.G., 2019. Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial. Eur. Arch. Paediatr. Dent. 20, 467–472.
- Porath, C., Pearson, C., 2013. The price of incivility. Harv. Bus. Rev. 91, 114–21, 146.
- Prasanna, N., Subbarao, C.V., Gutmann, J.L., 2011. The efficacy of pre-operative oral medication of lornoxicam and diclofenac potassium on the success of inferior alveolar nerve block in patients with irreversible pulpitis: a double-blind, randomised controlled clinical trial. Int. Endod. J. 44, 330–336.
- Priya S, R., Krishnan, C., S, J.R., Das}, J., 2009. Growth and characterization of NLO active lithium sulphate monohydrate single crystals. Crystal research and technology 44, 1272–76`.
- Rajeshkumar, S., Menon, S., Venkat Kumar, S., Tambuwala, M.M., Bakshi, H.A., Mehta, M., Satija, S., Gupta, G., Chellappan, D.K., Thangavelu, L., Dua, K., 2019. Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract. J. Photochem. Photobiol. B 197, 111531.
- Ramadurai, N., Gurunathan, D., Samuel, A.V., Subramanian, E., Rodrigues, S.J.L., 2019. Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial. Clin. Oral Investig. 23, 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R., Subramanian, E.M.G., 2019. Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review. Saudi Dent J 31, 165–172.
- Ramesh, A., Varghese, S.S., Doraiswamy, J.N., Malaiappan, S., 2016. Herbs as an antioxidant arsenal for periodontal diseases. J Intercult Ethnopharmacol 5, 92–96.
- Schilpzand, P., De Pater, I.E., Erez, A., 2016. Workplace incivility: A review of the literature and agenda for future research: WORKPLACE INCIVILITY. J. Organ. Behav. 37, S57–S88.
- Shapiro, J., 2013. Workplace Incivility at the Daily Level: The Effects of Rumination on Performance and Revenge Motives (Master of Arts). University of Connecticut OpenCommons@UConn.
- Sleem, W.F., Seada, A.M., 2017. Role of Workplace Civility Climate and Workgroup Norms on Incidence of Incivility Behaviour among Staff Nurses. International journal of Nursing Didactics 7, 34–43.
- Spence Laschinger, H.K., Leiter, M., Day, A., Gilin, D., 2009. Workplace empowerment, incivility, and burnout: impact on staff nurse recruitment and retention outcomes. J. Nurs. Manag. 17, 302–311.
- Thomas, R., Anitha, S., Joseph, I.N., Others, 2019. EMPLOYEE MISBEHAVIOUR IN THE WORKPLACE-STRATEGIES TO PREVENT MISBEHAVIOUR AND MAKE EMPLOYEES SATISFIED WITH THE JOB. IJRAR-International Journal of Research and Analytical Reviews (IJRAR) 6, 268–273.
- Venugopalan, S., Ariga, P., Aggarwal, P., Viswanath, A., 2014. Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis. Niger. J. Clin. Pract. 17, 260–264.
- Warrner, J., Sommers, K., Zappa, M., Thornlow, D.K., 2016. Decreasing workplace incivility. Nurs. Manage. 47, 22–30; quiz 1.
- Xu, T., 2018. Bullying and violence at work increases the risk of cardiovascular disease. American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- Article View: 150
- PDF Download: 98