Factors influencing patients’ fear during hospital visit
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2020, Volume 26, Issue 2, Pages 782-788
AbstractMany people will be experiencing the fear of going to hospitals. These fears have been raised due to many factors. Including the sufferer in medical care security sharpens has prolonged to an extent of require and significance. But amid pandemics, numerous individuals are not going to the healing centre due to the fear of spreading disease. Five phases of fear were identified: at household after conclusion, in the midst of course of action for incision at the clinic, the day of enucleation, the post-clinical surgery visits, and the period after the follow visits at residential. Fear of clinics can be caused due to a traumatic event that has struck the person gravely. In most cases, pros endeavour to recognize the traumatic circumstance to cure the calm. In a few cases, clinical dread may be caused due to Trypanophobia which means the Fear of needles or undoubtedly the panic due to seeing blood. Some people as well make this condition due to the fear of taking medicine. There are a couple of other causes of clinic fear that can be annihilating and this seems to turn out to be life threatening in case cleared out untreated. The usage of Anaesthesia will also influence the fear of patients during hospital visits. A survey has been collected from the patients and people and has analysed the most influencing factor which causes patient fear. The innovations implemented in the health care sector can reduce the patient's fear to a greater extent.
- A.C.Gomathi, S.R.Xavier Rajarathinam, A.Mohammed Sadiqc, Rajeshkumar, 2020. Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line. J. Drug Deliv. Sci. Technol. 55.
- Balayla, J., 2011. Male physicians treating Female patients: Issues, Controversies and Gynecology. Mcgill J. Med. 13, 72.
- Barsky, A.J., 3rd, 1981. Hidden reasons some patients visit doctors. Ann. Intern. Med. 94, 492–498.
- Danda, A.K., Ravi, P., 2011. Effectiveness of postoperative antibiotics in orthognathic surgery: a meta-analysis. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 69, 2650–2656.
- Danda, A.K., S, R., Chinnaswami, R., 2009. Comparison of gap arthroplasty with and without a temporalis muscle flap for the treatment of ankylosis. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 67, 1425–1431.
- Dua, K., Wadhwa, R., Singhvi, G., Rapalli, V., Shukla, S.D., Shastri, M.D., Gupta, G., Satija, S., Mehta, M., Khurana, N., Awasthi, R., Maurya, P.K., Thangavelu, L., S, R., Tambuwala, M.M., Collet, T., Hansbro, P.M., Chellappan, D.K., 2019. The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress. Drug Dev. Res. 80, 714–730.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V.S., Ashok Vardhan, N., 2019. Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells. J. Oral Pathol. Med. 48, 115–121.
- Gangolli, L., Duggal, R., Shukla, A., 2015. Review of Healthcare in India. Mumbai Centre for Enquiry into Health and Allied Themes, Mumbai.
- Griffith, J.R., White, K.R., 2005. The revolution in hospital management. J. Healthc. Manag. 50, 170–89; discussion 189–90.
- Haldar, S., Filipkowski, A., Mishra, S.R., Brown, C.S., Elera, R.G., Pollack, A.H., Pratt, W., 2016. “Scared to go to the Hospital”: Inpatient Experiences with Undesirable Events. AMIA Annu. Symp. Proc. 2016, 609–617.
- Koivula, M., Tarkka, M.-T., Tarkka, M., Laippala, P., Paunonen-Ilmonen, M., 2002. Fear and in-hospital social support for coronary artery bypass grafting patients on the day before surgery. Int. J. Nurs. Stud. 39, 415–427.
- Krishnan, R., Chary, K.V., 2015. A rare case modafinil dependence. J. Pharmacol. Pharmacother. 6, 49–50.
- Llewelyn-Davies, R., Macaulay, H.M., 1966. Hospital planning and administration. Monogr. Ser. World Health Organ. 54, 3–215.
- Makam, A., Mallappa Saroja, C.S., Edwards, G., 2010. Do women seeking care from obstetrician–gynaecologists prefer to see a female or a male doctor? Arch. Gynecol. Obstet. 281, 443–447.
- Manivannan, I., Ranganathan, S., Gopalakannan, S. et al., 2018. Mechanical Properties and Tribological Behavior of Al6061–SiC–Gr Self-Lubricating Hybrid Nanocomposites. Trans Indian Inst Met 71, 1897–1911.
- Mantica, G., Riccardi, N., Terrone, C., Gratarola, A., 2020. Non-COVID-19 visits to emergency departments during the pandemic: the impact of fear. Public Health.
- Mavridou, P., Dimitriou, V., Manataki, A., Arnaoutoglou, E., Papadopoulos, G., 2013. Patient’s anxiety and fear of anesthesia: effect of gender, age, education, and previous experience of anesthesia. A survey of 400 patients. J. Anesth. 27, 104–108.
- Narayanan, V., Kannan, R., Sreekumar, K., 2009. Retromandibular approach for reduction and fixation of mandibular condylar fractures: a clinical experience. Int. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 38, 835–839.
- Narayanan, V., Ramadorai, A., Ravi, P., Nirvikalpa, N., 2012. Transmasseteric anterior parotid approach for condylar fractures: experience of 129 cases. Br. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 50, 420–424.
- Neelakantan, P., John, S., Anand, S., Sureshbabu, N., Subbarao, C., 2011. Fluoride release from a new glass-ionomer cement. Oper. Dent. 36, 80–85.
- Neelakantan, P., Sharma, S., 2015. Pain after single-visit root canal treatment with two single-file systems based on different kinematics--a prospective randomized multicenter clinical study. Clin. Oral Investig. 19, 2211–2217.
- Neelakantan, P., Subbarao, C., Sharma, S., Subbarao, C.V., Garcia-Godoy, F., Gutmann, J.L., 2013. Effectiveness of curcumin against Enterococcus faecalis biofilm. Acta Odontol. Scand. 71, 1453–1457.
- Nijkamp, M.D., Ruiter, R.A.C., Roeling, M., van den Borne, B., Hiddema, F., Hendrikse, F., Nuijts, R.M., 2002. Factors related to fear in patients undergoing cataract surgery: a qualitative study focusing on factors associated with fear and reassurance among patients who need to undergo cataract surgery. Patient Educ. Couns. 47, 265–272.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G., Subramanian, E.M.G., 2019. Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial. Eur. Arch. Paediatr. Dent. 20, 467–472.
- Prasanna, N., Subbarao, C.V., Gutmann, J.L., 2011. The efficacy of pre-operative oral medication of lornoxicam and diclofenac potassium on the success of inferior alveolar nerve block in patients with irreversible pulpitis: a double-blind, randomised controlled clinical trial. Int. Endod. J. 44, 330–336.
- Priya S, R., Krishnan, C., S, J.R., Das}, J., 2009. Growth and characterization of NLO active lithium sulphate monohydrate single crystals. Crystal research and technology 44, 1272–76`.
- Rajeshkumar, S., Menon, S., Venkat Kumar, S., Tambuwala, M.M., Bakshi, H.A., Mehta, M., Satija, S., Gupta, G., Chellappan, D.K., Thangavelu, L., Dua, K., 2019. Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract. J. Photochem. Photobiol. B 197, 111531.
- Ramadurai, N., Gurunathan, D., Samuel, A.V., Subramanian, E., Rodrigues, S.J.L., 2019. Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial. Clin. Oral Investig. 23, 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R., Subramanian, E.M.G., 2019. Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review. Saudi Dent J 31, 165–172.
- Ramesh, A., Varghese, S.S., Doraiswamy, J.N., Malaiappan, S., 2016. Herbs as an antioxidant arsenal for periodontal diseases. J Intercult Ethnopharmacol 5, 92–96.
- Rising, K.L., Hudgins, A., Reigle, M., Hollander, J.E., Carr, B.G., 2016. “I’m Just a Patient”: Fear and Uncertainty as Drivers of Emergency Department Use in Patients With Chronic Disease. Ann. Emerg. Med. 68, 536–543.
- Ruhaiyem, M.E., Alshehri, A.A., Saade, M., Shoabi, T.A., Zahoor, H., Tawfeeq, N.A., 2016. Fear of going under general anesthesia: A cross-sectional study. Saudi J. Anaesth. 10, 317–321.
- Salmela, M., Salanterä, S., Aronen, E.T., 2010. Coping with hospital-related fears: experiences of pre-school-aged children: Coping with hospital-related fears. J. Adv. Nurs. 66, 1222–1231.
- Streek, M.V., 2016. Characteristics of Patients who Experience Fear During Hospitalization. Western Michigan University.
- van Wijk, M.G., Smalhout, B., 1990. A postoperative analysis of the patient’s view of anaesthesia in a Netherlands' teaching hospital. Anaesthesia 45, 679–682.
- Ventola, C.L., 2014. Social media and health care professionals: benefits, risks, and best practices. P T 39, 491–520.
- Venugopalan, S., Ariga, P., Aggarwal, P., Viswanath, A., 2014. Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis. Niger. J. Clin. Pract. 17, 260–264.
- Wager, K.A., Lee, F.W., Glaser, J.P., 2017. Health Care Information Systems: A Practical Approach for Health Care Management. John Wiley & Sons.
- Waxman, D., 1978. Hospital phobia: a rapid desensitization technique. Postgrad. Med. J. 54, 328–330.
- Article View: 50
- PDF Download: 35