An examination on causes for anxiety and depression among elderly people
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2020, Volume 26, Issue 2, Pages 823-828
AbstractIn India, the elder population is one of the fastest growing populations among the world. India has about 110 million of ageing citizens which ranks to the second largest global population and therefore by 2050, it is expected to raise up to 240 million. These elderly people are easily prone to get affected by some mental health problems, in which depression along with anxiety affects their total health and reduces their quality of life. This study identifies some of the factors that contribute to anxiety and depression in elderly people are Loss of pleasure, dependency, self-confidence, isolation, medical conditions, financial status, memory problems, sufferer, identity and physical limitations, death fear, loneliness and being treated badly. Among those factors, loss and sleeping disturbances greatly contribute to the reasons that cause anxiety and depression in elderly people. Future studies to be conducted for the preventive measures for anxiety and depression among elderly people. Some innovation in preventive measures should be implemented to reduce depression and anxiety among elderly people.
- A.C.Gomathi, S.R.Xavier Rajarathinam, A.Mohammed Sadiqc, Rajeshkumar, 2020. Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line. J. Drug Deliv. Sci. Technol. 55.
- Curran, E., Rosato, M., Ferry, F., Leavey, G., 2020. Prevalence and factors associated with anxiety and depression in older adults: Gender differences in psychosocial indicators. J. Affect. Disord. 267, 114–122.
- Danda, A.K., Ravi, P., 2011. Effectiveness of postoperative antibiotics in orthognathic surgery: a meta-analysis. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 69, 2650–2656.
- Danda, A.K., S, R., Chinnaswami, R., 2009. Comparison of gap arthroplasty with and without a temporalis muscle flap for the treatment of ankylosis. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 67, 1425–1431.
- Dua, K., Wadhwa, R., Singhvi, G., Rapalli, V., Shukla, S.D., Shastri, M.D., Gupta, G., Satija, S., Mehta, M., Khurana, N., Awasthi, R., Maurya, P.K., Thangavelu, L., S, R., Tambuwala, M.M., Collet, T., Hansbro, P.M., Chellappan, D.K., 2019. The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress. Drug Dev. Res. 80, 714–730.
- El-Gabalawy, R., Mackenzie, C.S., Thibodeau, M.A., Asmundson, G.J.G., Sareen, J., 2013. Health anxiety disorders in older adults: conceptualizing complex conditions in late life. Clin. Psychol. Rev. 33, 1096–1105.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V.S., Ashok Vardhan, N., 2019. Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells. J. Oral Pathol. Med. 48, 115–121.
- Hallit, S., Daher, M.-C., Hallit, R., Hachem, D., Kheir, N., Salameh, P., 2020. Correlates associated with mental health and nutritional status in Lebanese older adults: A cross-sectional study. Arch. Gerontol. Geriatr. 87, 103879.
- Krishnan, R., Chary, K.V., 2015. A rare case modafinil dependence. J. Pharmacol. Pharmacother. 6, 49–50.
- Manivannan, I., Ranganathan, S., Gopalakannan, S. et al., 2018. Mechanical Properties and Tribological Behavior of Al6061–SiC–Gr Self-Lubricating Hybrid Nanocomposites. Trans Indian Inst Met 71, 1897–1911.
- Narayanan, V., Kannan, R., Sreekumar, K., 2009. Retromandibular approach for reduction and fixation of mandibular condylar fractures: a clinical experience. Int. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 38, 835–839.
- Narayanan, V., Ramadorai, A., Ravi, P., Nirvikalpa, N., 2012. Transmasseteric anterior parotid approach for condylar fractures: experience of 129 cases. Br. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 50, 420–424.
- Neelakantan, P., John, S., Anand, S., Sureshbabu, N., Subbarao, C., 2011. Fluoride release from a new glass-ionomer cement. Oper. Dent. 36, 80–85.
- Neelakantan, P., Sharma, S., 2015. Pain after single-visit root canal treatment with two single-file systems based on different kinematics--a prospective randomized multicenter clinical study. Clin. Oral Investig. 19, 2211–2217.
- Neelakantan, P., Subbarao, C., Sharma, S., Subbarao, C.V., Garcia-Godoy, F., Gutmann, J.L., 2013. Effectiveness of curcumin against Enterococcus faecalis biofilm. Acta Odontol. Scand. 71, 1453–1457.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G., Subramanian, E.M.G., 2019. Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial. Eur. Arch. Paediatr. Dent. 20, 467–472.
- Prasanna, N., Subbarao, C.V., Gutmann, J.L., 2011. The efficacy of pre-operative oral medication of lornoxicam and diclofenac potassium on the success of inferior alveolar nerve block in patients with irreversible pulpitis: a double-blind, randomised controlled clinical trial. Int. Endod. J. 44, 330–336.
- Priya S, R., Krishnan, C., S, J.R., Das}, J., 2009. Growth and characterization of NLO active lithium sulphate monohydrate single crystals. Crystal research and technology 44, 1272–76`.
- Rajeshkumar, S., Menon, S., Venkat Kumar, S., Tambuwala, M.M., Bakshi, H.A., Mehta, M., Satija, S., Gupta, G., Chellappan, D.K., Thangavelu, L., Dua, K., 2019. Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract. J. Photochem. Photobiol. B 197, 111531.
- Ramadurai, N., Gurunathan, D., Samuel, A.V., Subramanian, E., Rodrigues, S.J.L., 2019. Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial. Clin. Oral Investig. 23, 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R., Subramanian, E.M.G., 2019. Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review. Saudi Dent J 31, 165–172.
- Ramesh, A., Varghese, S.S., Doraiswamy, J.N., Malaiappan, S., 2016. Herbs as an antioxidant arsenal for periodontal diseases. J Intercult Ethnopharmacol 5, 92–96.
- Tunvirachaisakul, C., Gould, R.L., Coulson, M.C., Ward, E.V., Reynolds, G., Gathercole, R.L., Grocott, H., Supasitthumrong, T., Tunvirachaisakul, A., Kimona, K., Howard, R.J., 2018. Predictors of treatment outcome in depression in later life: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J. Affect. Disord. 227, 164–182.
- van Zoonen, K., Kleiboer, A., Beekman, A.T.F., Smit, J.H., Boerema, A.M., Cuijpers, P., 2015. Reasons and determinants of help-seeking in people with a subclinical depression. J. Affect. Disord. 173, 105–112.
- Venugopalan, S., Ariga, P., Aggarwal, P., Viswanath, A., 2014. Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis. Niger. J. Clin. Pract. 17, 260–264.
- Wu, P., Li, L., Sun, W., 2018. Influence factors of depression in elderly patients with chronic diseases.
- Yochim, B.P., Mueller, A.E., Segal, D.L., 2013. Late life anxiety is associated with decreased memory and executive functioning in community dwelling older adults. J. Anxiety Disord. 27, 567–575.
- Zhang, C., Xue, Y., Zhao, H., Zheng, X., Zhu, R., Du, Y., Zheng, J., Yang, T., 2019. Prevalence and related influencing factors of depressive symptoms among empty-nest elderly in Shanxi, China. J. Affect. Disord. 245, 750–756.
- Zhao, W., Zhang, Y., Liu, X., Yue, J., Hou, L., Xia, X., Zuo, Z., Liu, Y., Jia, S., Dong, B., Ge, N., 2020. Comorbid depressive and anxiety symptoms and frailty among older adults: Findings from the West China health and aging trend study. J. Affect. Disord. 277, 970–976.
- Zhao, X., Zhang, D., Wu, M., Yang, Y., Xie, H., Li, Y., Jia, J., Su, Y., 2018. Loneliness and depression symptoms among the elderly in nursing homes: A moderated mediation model of resilience and social support. Psychiatry Res. 268, 143–151.
- Article View: 14
- PDF Download: 19