Process of building a dataset and classification of vark learning styles with machine learning and predictive analytics models
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2020, Volume 26, Issue 2, Pages 903-910
AbstractAs there is a rise in the online and customized learning platforms, learning style preferences give us insight into better utilization of educational resources available. VARK learning styles are developed by Fleming and Bonwell on the premises of preferred intake of information by the students. VARK model describes four sensory modalities Visual, Kinesthetic, Read/Write and Auditory respectively for the input. Initially learning styles are calculated using the VARK questionnaire as an instrument. In this case machine learning and predictive analytics can help classify learning style by including all the descriptors including demographic and behavioural. This study will explore the data mining process from the raw data collected from the college students through a questionnaire which is an integral part before the analysis to determine possibility to use different descriptors. This study primarily aims to classify the students based on VARK learning styles based on their sensory modalities and build a predictive model using the variables that can influence the learning styles. This study explored the relationship between demographic factors like school and place people grew up. Results proved to contradict those factors. We concluded that with the growth of big data learning style classification, a blend of model algorithms or stacked algorithms like voting classifier can be used to adapt to a user application.
- A.C.Gomathi, S.R.Xavier Rajarathinam, A.Mohammed Sadiqc, Rajeshkumar, 2020. Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line. J. Drug Deliv. Sci. Technol. 55.
- Aissaoui, O.E.L., El Madani, Y.E.L.A., Oughdir, L., Allioui, Y.E.L., 2019. Combining supervised and unsupervised machine learning algorithms to predict the learners’ learning styles. Procedia Comput. Sci. 148, 87–96.
- Danda, A.K., Ravi, P., 2011. Effectiveness of postoperative antibiotics in orthognathic surgery: a meta-analysis. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 69, 2650–2656.
- Danda, A.K., S, R., Chinnaswami, R., 2009. Comparison of gap arthroplasty with and without a temporalis muscle flap for the treatment of ankylosis. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 67, 1425–1431.
- Dantas, L.A., Cunha, A., 2020. An integrative debate on learning styles and the learning process. Social Sciences & Humanities Open 2, 100017.
- Dua, K., Wadhwa, R., Singhvi, G., Rapalli, V., Shukla, S.D., Shastri, M.D., Gupta, G., Satija, S., Mehta, M., Khurana, N., Awasthi, R., Maurya, P.K., Thangavelu, L., S, R., Tambuwala, M.M., Collet, T., Hansbro, P.M., Chellappan, D.K., 2019. The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress. Drug Dev. Res. 80, 714–730.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V.S., Ashok Vardhan, N., 2019. Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells. J. Oral Pathol. Med. 48, 115–121.
- Gomede, E., Miranda de Barros, R., de Souza Mendes, L., 2020. Use of Deep Multi-Target Prediction to Identify Learning Styles. NATO Adv. Sci. Inst. Ser. E Appl. Sci. 10, 1756.
- How-Do-I-Learn-Best-Sample.pdf, n.d.
- Khongpit, V., Faculty of Technical Education, Department of Computer Education, King Mongkut’s University of Technology North Bangkok, Thailand, Sintanakul, K., Nomphonkrang, T., 2018. The VARK learning style of the university student in computer course. J. Stat. Educ. 102–106.
- Kolekar, S.V., Pai, R.M., Pai M. M., M., 2018. Adaptive User Interface for Moodle based E-learning System using Learning Styles. Procedia Comput. Sci. 135, 606–615.
- Krishnan, R., Chary, K.V., 2015. A rare case modafinil dependence. J. Pharmacol. Pharmacother. 6, 49–50.
- Labib, W., Pasina, I., Abdelhadi, A., Bayram, G., Nurunnabi, M., 2019. Learning style preferences of architecture and interior design students in Saudi Arabia: A survey. MethodsX 6, 961–967.
- Li, L.X., Abdul Rahman, S.S., 2018. Students’ learning style detection using tree augmented naive Bayes. R Soc Open Sci 5, 172108.
- Manivannan, I., Ranganathan, S., Gopalakannan, S. et al., 2018. Mechanical Properties and Tribological Behavior of Al6061–SiC–Gr Self-Lubricating Hybrid Nanocomposites. Trans Indian Inst Met 71, 1897–1911.
- Maseleno, A., Hardaker, G., Sabani, N., Suhaili, N., 2016. Data on multicultural education and diagnostic information profiling: Culture, learning styles and creativity. Data Brief 9, 1048–1051.
- Narayanan, V., Kannan, R., Sreekumar, K., 2009. Retromandibular approach for reduction and fixation of mandibular condylar fractures: a clinical experience. Int. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 38, 835–839.
- Narayanan, V., Ramadorai, A., Ravi, P., Nirvikalpa, N., 2012. Transmasseteric anterior parotid approach for condylar fractures: experience of 129 cases. Br. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 50, 420–424.
- Neelakantan, P., John, S., Anand, S., Sureshbabu, N., Subbarao, C., 2011. Fluoride release from a new glass-ionomer cement. Oper. Dent. 36, 80–85.
- Neelakantan, P., Sharma, S., 2015. Pain after single-visit root canal treatment with two single-file systems based on different kinematics--a prospective randomized multicenter clinical study. Clin. Oral Investig. 19, 2211–2217.
- Neelakantan, P., Subbarao, C., Sharma, S., Subbarao, C.V., Garcia-Godoy, F., Gutmann, J.L., 2013. Effectiveness of curcumin against Enterococcus faecalis biofilm. Acta Odontol. Scand. 71, 1453–1457.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G., Subramanian, E.M.G., 2019. Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial. Eur. Arch. Paediatr. Dent. 20, 467–472.
- Prasanna, N., Subbarao, C.V., Gutmann, J.L., 2011. The efficacy of pre-operative oral medication of lornoxicam and diclofenac potassium on the success of inferior alveolar nerve block in patients with irreversible pulpitis: a double-blind, randomised controlled clinical trial. Int. Endod. J. 44, 330–336.
- Priya S, R., Krishnan, C., S, J.R., Das}, J., 2009. Growth and characterization of NLO active lithium sulphate monohydrate single crystals. Crystal research and technology 44, 1272–76`.
- Rajeshkumar, S., Menon, S., Venkat Kumar, S., Tambuwala, M.M., Bakshi, H.A., Mehta, M., Satija, S., Gupta, G., Chellappan, D.K., Thangavelu, L., Dua, K., 2019. Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract. J. Photochem. Photobiol. B 197, 111531.
- Ramadurai, N., Gurunathan, D., Samuel, A.V., Subramanian, E., Rodrigues, S.J.L., 2019. Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial. Clin. Oral Investig. 23, 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R., Subramanian, E.M.G., 2019. Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review. Saudi Dent J 31, 165–172.
- Ramesh, A., Varghese, S.S., Doraiswamy, J.N., Malaiappan, S., 2016. Herbs as an antioxidant arsenal for periodontal diseases. J Intercult Ethnopharmacol 5, 92–96.
- Sreenidhi, S.K., Helena, T., n.d. VAK styles of learning based on the research of Fernald, Keller, Orton, Gillingham, Stillman , Montessori and Neil D Fleming.
- Švarcová, E., Jelínková, K., 2016. Detection of Learning Styles in the Focus Group. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 217, 177–182.
- Venugopalan, S., Ariga, P., Aggarwal, P., Viswanath, A., 2014. Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis. Niger. J. Clin. Pract. 17, 260–264.
- Viloria, A., Petro Gonzalez, I.R., Pineda Lezama, O.B., 2019. Learning Style Preferences of College Students Using Big Data. Procedia Comput. Sci. 160, 461–466.
- Zhang, H., Huang, T., Liu, S., Yin, H., Li, J., Yang, H., Xia, Y., 2020. A learning style classification approach based on deep belief network for large-scale online education. Journal of Cloud Computing 9, 26.
- Article View: 82
- PDF Download: 74