Does Nigerian Low-Income Families Need For Micro Family Takaful Scheme?
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 52-58
AbstractInsurance, beyond doubt, is an essential policy for poverty eradication. Since low income households can't afford the high insurance premium, the best protection is Microinsurance or Microtakaful. In terms of principle, Microtakaful is barely the same as Takaful, except that the former is based on mutual contribution with affordable price that overcomes a specific risk that plagues the low income households. Having that said, this study proposes Microtakaful as an essential mechanism that protects the low-income group, apart from reducing the poverty rate. The proposed Microtakaful framework consists of a protection scheme equipped with financial support grants from the government, non-governmental organisations (NGOs), charity institutions, waqaf, international charity organisations, and donor agencies. This offers a basis to further look into the Microtakaful product and mutual pricing model designs based on cooperative principles as a mobilisation fund aimed at eradicating poverty amidst low-income families.
- Ajide, F. M., & Abiahu, M. C. (2019). 5th Annual International Academic Conference Proceedings ( 2019 ) FULL (Issue August).
- Akhtar, M. H. (2018). Performance analysis of Takaful and conventional insurance companies in Saudi Arabia. Benchmarking, 25(2). https://doi.org/10.1108/BIJ-01-2017-0018
- Alhassan, A. L., & Biekpe, N. (2016). Determinants of life insurance consumption in Africa. Research in International Business and Finance, 37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ribaf.2015.10.016
- Alshammari, A. A., Syed Jaafar Alhabshi, S. M., & Saiti, B. (2018). A comparative study of the historical and current development of the GCC insurance and takaful industry. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 9(2). https://doi.org/10.1108/JIMA-05-2016-0041
- Ardo, A. A., & Saiti, B. (2017). Takaful practice in Nigeria: history, present and future. European Journal of Islamic Finance, 8, 1–10. https://doi.org/10.13135/2421-2172/2086
- Bakar, M. A., & Aman, D. (2018). A Comparative Review of Takaful Frameworks in Nigeria, Malaysia. 3(1), 56–69.
- Burhan, N.A.S., Che Razak, R., Salleh, F., Labastida Tovar, M.E. (2017). The higher intelligence of the 'creative minority' provides the infrastructure for entrepreneurial innovation. Intelligence, 65, pp. 93-106.
- Churchill, C. (2019). What is insurance for the low income? In Protecting the Low income: A Microinsurance Compendium (pp. 11–24). https://doi.org/10.5848/ilo.978-9-221192-54-1_3
- Daud, W.N.W., Zainol, F.A., Salleh, F., Yazid, A.S., Ismail, S., Markom, R., Mukhtar, N.D. (2017). Takaful rules and regulations for ASEAN countries: Takaful player perspectives. Proceedings of the 30th International Business Information Management Association Conference, IBIMA 2017 - Vision 2020: Sustainable Economic development, Innovation Management, and Global Growth, 2017-January, pp. 2363-2369
- Foziah, N.H.M., Ghazali, P.L., Mamat, M., Salleh, F., Guci, D.A., Jaaffar, S.A.S., Afthanorhan, A., Omar, L., Yazid, A.S. (2018). Analysis of private sector retiree's decision towards EPF retirement benefit of annuity-based option. International Journal of Engineering and Technology (UAE), 7 (3.28 Special Issue 28), pp. 185-188.
- Htay, S. N. N., Sadzali, N. S., & Amin, H. (2015). An analysis of the viability of micro health takaful in Malaysia. Qualitative Research in Financial Markets, 7(1). https://doi.org/10.1108/QRFM-09-2013-0030
- Kazaure, M. A. (2019). Extending the theory of planned behavior to explain the role of awareness in accepting Islamic health insurance (Takaful) by microenterprises in northwestern Nigeria. Journal of Islamic Accounting and Business Research, 10(4). https://doi.org/10.1108/JIABR-08-2017-0113
- Masood, P. O., Javaria, K., & Shah, S. A. A. (2018). Consumption of Family Takaful Affected by Microeconomic Factors : A Case Study of Islamic insurance Takaful in Pakistan. European Journal of Islamic Finance, 9(April), 1–7.
- Paper, D. (2016). Microinsurance and Microtakaful. April.
- Paton Schmidt, A. (2019). The impact of cognitive style, consumer demographics and cultural values on the acceptance of Islamic insurance products among American consumers. International Journal of Bank Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJBM-02-2018-0033
- Saeed, M. (2019). Effect of Takaful Models on Performance of Takaful Operators. Empirical Economic Review, 2(2), 53–80. https://doi.org/10.29145/eer/22/020104
- Salleh. F., Mustafa, N., Yazid, A.S., Ghazali, P.L., Wan Daud, W.N., Remli, N., & Burhan, Nas., (2017). A review of the importance of the need for micro medical and health Takaful. 30th International Business Information Management Association Conference - Vision 2020: Sustainable Economic development, Innovation Management, and Global Growth, IBIMA 2017
- Salleh, F. & Ahmad Saufi, N.F., (2020). Is the Introduction of National Plan of Coastal Erosion Takaful Scheme Necessary? Journal of Advanced Research in Dynamical & Control Systems, Vol. 12, No. 5: 47-53. Scopus.
- Woolfrey, S., Apiko, P., & Pharatlhatlhe, K. (2019). Nigeria and South Africa : Shaping Prospects for the African Continental Free Trade Area. 242.
- Yazid, A.S., Arifin, A., Salleh, F., Ghazali, P.L., & Mahmud, M.S (2020). Determinants of Family Takaful Loyalty in Malaysia: An Exploratory Factor Analysis. Journal of Advanced Research in Dynamical and Control Systems. Volume 12 (4): 291-298. DOI: 10.5373/JARDCS/V12I4/20201443
- Yusuf, T. O., & Babalola, A. R. (2015). Takaful in Nigeria: Penetration Challenges and Way Forward. Journal of Islamic Economics, Banking & Finance, 11(2). https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107415324.004
- Article View: 180
- PDF Download: 190