Sustainable leadership and task performance of Vietnam textile sector
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 251-257
AbstractVietnam textile industry has contributed much for economic growth and import-export activities of the nation over years, despite of impacts from Covid 19. Our research paper aims to find out the moderating effect of psychological safety within the relationship of entrepreneurial leadership and job performance of textile industry in Vietnam. For this objective, the data was collected from surveys with senior managers. The findings have shown that entrepreneurial leadership had a positive and significant relation with the team task performance and individual job performance. For sustainable leadership, Vietnam textile need to increase task performance in group and as individual. This is to focus on productivity and efficiency and create core values fro Vietnam textile firms.
Last but not least, we recognize the importance between sustainable leadership and psychological security in the textile sector. Our research findings may be expanded for other industries as well as other emerging markets.
- Agarwal, P., & Farndale, E. (2017). High‐performance work systems and creativity implementation: the role of psychological capital and psychological safety. Human Resource Management Journal, 27(3), 440-458.
- Ahmad, R., Bin Mohammad, H., & Nordin, S. B. (2019). Moderating effect of board characteristics in the relationship of structural capital and business performance: An evidence on Pakistan textile sector. Journal of Studies in Social Sciences and Humanities, 5(3), 89-99.
- Al Mamun, A., Ibrahim, M. D., Yusoff, M. N. H. B., & Fazal, S. A. (2018). Entrepreneurial leadership, performance, and sustainability of micro-enterprises in Malaysia. Sustainability, 10(5), 1591.
- Amason, A. C., Shrader, R. C., & Tompson, G. H. (2006). Newness and novelty: Relating top management team composition to new venture performance. Journal of Business Venturing, 21(1), 125-148.
- Bandura, A. (2018). Albert bandura and social learning theory. Learning Theories For Early Years Practice, 63.
- Boekhorst, J. A. (2015). The role of authentic leadership in fostering workplace inclusion: A social information processing perspective. Human Resource Management, 54(2), 241-264.
- Cao, Y., Cai, Y., Hirakubo, T., Fukui, H., & Matsuyama, H. (2011). Fermentation characteristics and microorganism composition of total mixed ration silage with local food by‐products in different seasons. Animal Science Journal, 82(2), 259-266.
- Cardon, M. S., & Kirk, C. P. (2015). Entrepreneurial passion as mediator of the self–efficacy to persistence relationship. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 39(5), 1027-1050.
- Chen, M. H. (2007). Entrepreneurial leadership and new ventures: Creativity in entrepreneurial teams. Creativity and Innovation Management, 16(3), 239-249.
- Cogliser, C. C., & Brigham, K. H. (2004). The intersection of leadership and entrepreneurship: Mutual lessons to be learned. The Leadership Quarterly, 15(6), 771-799.
- Dinh, J. E., Lord, R. G., Gardner, W. L., Meuser, J. D., Liden, R. C., & Hu, J. (2014). Leadership theory and research in the new millennium: Current theoretical trends and changing perspectives. The Leadership Quarterly, 25(1), 36-62.
- Edmondson, A. (1999). Psychological safety and learning behavior in work teams. Administrative science quarterly, 44(2), 350-383.
- Edmondson, A. C., & Lei, Z. (2014). Psychological safety: The history, renaissance, and future of an interpersonal construct. Annu. Rev. Organ. Psychol. Organ. Behav., 1(1), 23-43.
- Ensley, M. D., Pearson, A. W., & Amason, A. C. (2002). Understanding the dynamics of new venture top management teams: Cohesion, conflict, and new venture performance. Journal of business venturing, 17(4), 365-386.
- Fernald, L. W., Solomon, G. T., & Tarabishy, A. (2005). A new paradigm: Entrepreneurial leadership. Southern business review, 30(2), 1-10.
- Gaglio, C. M. (2004). The role of mental simulations and counterfactual thinking in the opportunity identification process. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 28(6), 533-552.
- Griffin, M. A., Parker, S. K., & Mason, C. M. (2010). Leader vision and the development of adaptive and proactive performance: A longitudinal study. Journal of applied psychology, 95(1), 174.
- Gupta, V., MacMillan, I. C., & Surie, G. (2004). Entrepreneurial leadership: developing and measuring a cross-cultural construct. Journal of Business venturing, 19(2), 241-260.
- Hair, J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C., & Sarstedt, M. (2016). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM): Sage Publications.
- Hair, J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C., & Sarstedt, M. (2017). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM): Sage publications.
- Hair Jr, J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C., & Sarstedt, M. (2016). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM): Sage Publications.
- Hair Jr, J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C., & Sarstedt, M. (2017). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM): Sage publications.
- Hambrick, D. C. (2007). Upper echelons theory: An update. In: Academy of Management Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510.
- Heilman, M. E., Block, C. J., & Lucas, J. A. (1992). Presumed incompetent? Stigmatization and affirmative action efforts. Journal of applied psychology, 77(4), 536.
- Henseler, J., Ringle, C. M., & Sarstedt, M. (2015). A new criterion for assessing discriminant validity in variance-based structural equation modeling. Journal of the academy of marketing science, 43(1), 115-135.
- Hmieleski, K. M., Cole, M. S., & Baron, R. A. (2012). Shared authentic leadership and new venture performance. Journal of Management, 38(5), 1476-1499.
- Huang, S., Ding, D., & Chen, Z. (2014). Entrepreneurial Leadership and Performance in C hinese New Ventures: A Moderated Mediation Model of Exploratory Innovation, Exploitative Innovation and Environmental Dynamism. Creativity and Innovation Management, 23(4), 453-471.
- Jensen, S. M., & Luthans, F. (2006). Relationship between entrepreneurs' psychological capital and their authentic leadership. Journal of managerial issues, 254-273.
- Kark, R., & Carmeli, A. (2009). Alive and creating: The mediating role of vitality and aliveness in the relationship between psychological safety and creative work involvement. Journal of Organizational Behavior: The International Journal of Industrial, Occupational and Organizational Psychology and Behavior, 30(6), 785-804.
- Koryak, O., Mole, K. F., Lockett, A., Hayton, J. C., Ucbasaran, D., & Hodgkinson, G. P. (2015). Entrepreneurial leadership, capabilities and firm growth. International Small Business Journal, 33(1), 89-105.
- Leitch, C. M., McMullan, C., & Harrison, R. T. (2013). The development of entrepreneurial leadership: The role of human, social and institutional capital. British Journal of Management, 24(3), 347-366.
- Leitch, C. M., & Volery, T. (2017). Entrepreneurial leadership: Insights and directions. International Small Business Journal, 35(2), 147-156.
- Liu, S., Hu, J., Li, Y., Wang, Z., & Lin, X. (2014). Examining the cross-level relationship between shared leadership and learning in teams: Evidence from China. The Leadership Quarterly, 25(2), 282-295.
- McCarthy, D. J., Puffer, S. M., & Darda, S. V. (2010). Convergence in entrepreneurial leadership style: Evidence from Russia. California Management Review, 52(4), 48-72.
- Miao, Q., Eva, N., Newman, A., & Cooper, B. (2019). Ceo entrepreneurial leadership and performance outcomes of top management teams in entrepreneurial ventures: The mediating effects of psychological safety. Journal of Small Business Management, 57(3), 1119-1135.
- Musara, M., & Nieuwenhuizen, C. (2020). Informal sector entrepreneurship, individual entrepreneurial orientation and the emergence of entrepreneurial leadership. Africa Journal of Management, 1-20.
- Naquin, S., & Holton, E. (2003). Motivation to improve work through learning in human resource development. Human resource development international, 6(3), 355-370.
- Ortega, A., Van den Bossche, P., Sánchez-Manzanares, M., Rico, R., & Gil, F. (2014). The influence of change-oriented leadership and psychological safety on team learning in healthcare teams. Journal of Business and Psychology, 29(2), 311-321.
- Prabhu, G. N. (1999). Social entrepreneurial leadership. Career development international.
- Renko, M., El Tarabishy, A., Carsrud, A. L., & Brännback, M. (2015). Understanding and measuring entrepreneurial leadership style. Journal of Small Business Management, 53(1), 54-74.
- Ruvio, A., Rosenblatt, Z., & Hertz-Lazarowitz, R. (2010). Entrepreneurial leadership vision in nonprofit vs. for-profit organizations. The Leadership Quarterly, 21(1), 144-158.
- Salancik, G. R., & Pfeffer, J. (1977). An examination of need-satisfaction models of job attitudes. Administrative science quarterly, 427-456.
- Sendjaya, S., Sarros, J. C., & Santora, J. C. (2008). Defining and measuring servant leadership behaviour in organizations. Journal of Management studies, 45(2), 402-424.
- Singh, B., Winkel, D. E., & Selvarajan, T. (2013). Managing diversity at work: Does psychological safety hold the key to racial differences in employee performance? Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 86(2), 242-263.
- Stoker, J. I., Grutterink, H., & Kolk, N. J. (2012). Do transformational CEOs always make the difference? The role of TMT feedback seeking behavior. The Leadership Quarterly, 23(3), 582-592.
- Sun, Y., & Huang, J. (2019). Psychological capital and innovative behavior: Mediating effect of psychological safety. Social Behavior and Personality: an international journal, 47(9), 1-7.
- Supriyanto, A. S., Ekowati, V. M., Wekke, I. S., & Idris, I. (2018). Respective contribution of entrepreneurial leadership through organizational citizenship behaviour in creating employees performance. Academy of Entrepreneurship Journal, 24(4).
- Surie, G., & Ashley, A. (2008). Integrating pragmatism and ethics in entrepreneurial leadership for sustainable value creation. Journal of Business Ethics, 81(1), 235-246.
- Velt, H., Torkkeli, L., & Saarenketo, S. (2020). Transnational entrepreneurial ecosystems: The perspectives of Finnish and Estonian born-global start-ups. In Research Handbook on Start-Up Incubation Ecosystems: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Wang, G., Holmes Jr, R. M., Oh, I. S., & Zhu, W. (2016). Do CEOs matter to firm strategic actions and firm performance? A meta‐analytic investigation based on upper echelons theory. Personnel Psychology, 69(4), 775-862.
- Zhang, X.-a., Li, N., Ullrich, J., & van Dick, R. (2015). Getting everyone on board: The effect of differentiated transformational leadership by CEOs on top management team effectiveness and leader-rated firm performance. Journal of Management, 41(7), 1898-1933.
- Article View: 32
- PDF Download: 29