Prevalence of Denture Stomatitis and Its Predisposing Conditions - A Retrospective Institutional study
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 289-296
AbstractDenture stomatitis is an inflammatory condition affecting denture wearers. It can occur mostly due to Candida infection or mechanical irritation from denture or allergic reaction to any of the material used for fabricating denture. Denture stomatitis is considered a multifactorial disease as it can occur due to occlusal disharmony and ill fitting dentures, blockage of mucous glands, candida albicans. Various treatment and preventive measures are based on etiology of denture stomatitis. The aim of this study was to investigate the prevalence of type of denture stomatitis and its association with age, gender and type of treatment given. A retrospective study was done from 1 June 2019 till 1 March 2020. Data was reviewed from the patients records and analysed the data of 86,000 patients between June 2019 and March 2020 that were documented in a private institution. Statistical analysis was performed to assess the association between denture stomatitis with age, gender and type of treatment given. Prevalence of Type I denture stomatitis was 35.19%, Type II denture stomatitis was 44.44%, Type III denture stomatitis was 20.37%. The association between age group and type of denture stomatitis showed that there was no significant relation between age and type of denture stomatitis. Association between type of denture stomatitis and gender was statistically significant (p<0.05). The association between the type of denture stomatitis and treatment given was not significant. Type II denture stomatitis is the most common type of denture stomatitis and occurs mostly between age groups 41 to 59 years with females having higher prevalence compared to males. Most common treatment suggested was denture correction. To reduce the risk of denture stomatitis, dentists should take a step to educate the patients how to use dentures and risk associated with not maintaining well and how to prevent it.
Budtz-Jörgensen E. Clinical aspects of Candida infection in denture wearers [Internet]. Vol. 96, The Journal of the American Dental Association. 1978. p. 474–9. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1978.0088
3. Kossioni AE. The prevalence of denture stomatitis and its predisposing conditions in an older Greek population [Internet]. Vol. 28, Gerodontology. 2011. p. 85–90. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2009.00359.x
4. Jyothi S, Robin PK, Ganapathy D, Anandiselvaraj. Periodontal Health Status of Three Different Groups Wearing Temporary Partial Denture [Internet]. Vol. 10, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017. p. 4339. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5958/0974-360x.2017.00795.8
5. Ganapathy D. Effect of Resin Bonded Luting Agents Influencing Marginal Discrepancy in All Ceramic Complete Veneer Crowns [Internet]. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. 2016. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.7860/jcdr/2016/21447.9028
6. Zakhari KN, McMurry WS. Denture stomatitis and methods influencing its cure [Internet]. Vol. 37, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. 1977. p. 133–40. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(77)90234-7
7. Duraisamy R, Krishnan CS, Ramasubramanian H, Sampathkumar J, Mariappan S, Sivaprakasam AN. Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants [Internet]. Vol. 28, Implant Dentistry. 2019. p. 289–95. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/id.0000000000000885
8. Vijayalakshmi B, Ganapathy D. Medical management of cellulitis [Internet]. Vol. 9, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016. p. 2067. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00422.4
9. Ganapathy DM, Kannan A, Venugopalan S. Effect of Coated Surfaces influencing Screw Loosening in Implants: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis [Internet]. Vol. 8, World Journal of Dentistry. 2017. p. 496–502. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1493
10. Subasree S, Murthykumar K, Dhanraj. Effect of Aloe Vera in Oral Health-A Review [Internet]. Vol. 9, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016. p. 609. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00116.5
11. Jain A, Ranganathan H, Ganapathy D. Cervical and incisal marginal discrepancy in ceramic laminate veneering materials: A SEM analysis [Internet]. Vol. 8, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry. 2017. p. 272. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/ccd.ccd_156_17
12. Jeganathan S, Lin CC. Denture stomatitis - a review of the aetiology, diagnosis and management [Internet]. Vol. 37, Australian Dental Journal. 1992. p. 107–14. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.1992.tb03046.x
13. Webb BC, Thomas CJ, Willcox MDP, Harty DWS, Knox KW. Candida-associated denture stoma titis. Aetiology and management: A review. Part 2. Oral diseases caused by candida species [Internet]. Vol. 43, Australian Dental Journal. 1998. p. 160–6. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.1998.tb00157.x
14. Ashok V, Suvitha S. Awareness of all ceramic restoration in rural population [Internet]. Vol. 9, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016. p. 1691. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00340.1
15. Ashok V, Nallaswamy D, Benazir Begum S, Nesappan T. Lip Bumper Prosthesis for an Acromegaly Patient: A Clinical Report [Internet]. Vol. 14, The Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society. 2014. p. 279–82. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13191-013-0339-6
16. Pattanaik S, Vikas BVJ, Pattanaik B, Sahu S, Lodam S. Denture Stomatitis: A Literature Review [Internet]. Vol. 22, Journal of Indian Academy of Oral Medicine and Radiology. 2010. p. 136–40. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10011-1032
17. Basha FYS, Ganapathy D, Venugopalan S. Oral Hygiene Status among Pregnant Women [Internet]. Vol. 11, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018. p. 3099. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00569.3
18. Ajay R, Suma K, Ali S, Sivakumar JK, Rakshagan V, Devaki V, et al. Effect of surface modifications on the retention of cement-retained implant crowns under fatigue loads: An In vitro study [Internet]. Vol. 9, Journal of Pharmacy And Bioallied Sciences. 2017. p. 154. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/jpbs.jpbs_146_17
19. Emami E, de Grandmont P, Rompré PH, Barbeau J, Pan S, Feine JS. Favoring Trauma as an Etiological Factor in Denture Stomatitis [Internet]. Vol. 87, Journal of Dental Research. 2008. p. 440–4. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/154405910808700505
20. Venugopalan S, Ariga P, Aggarwal P, Viswanath A. Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis [Internet]. Vol. 17, Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice. 2014. p. 260. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/1119-3077.127575
21. Kannan A, Venugopalan S. A systematic review on the effect of use of impregnated retraction cords on gingiva [Internet]. Vol. 11, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018. p. 2121. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00393.1
22. Kavitha M, Subramanian R, Narayanan R, Udhayabanu V. Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals. Powder Technol. 2014 Feb 1;253:129–37.
25. Putchala MC, Ramani P, Herald J. Sherlin, Premkumar P, Natesan A. Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review [Internet]. Vol. 58, Archives of Oral Biology. 2013. p. 563–74. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016
26. Vijayakumar GNS, Devashankar S, Rathnakumari M, Sureshkumar P. Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies. J Alloys Compd. 2010 Sep 24;507(1):225–9.
27. Lekha L, Kanmani Raja K, Rajagopal G, Easwaramoorthy D. Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines. J Organomet Chem. 2014 Mar 1;753:72–80.
28. Lekha L, Kanmani Raja K, Rajagopal G, Easwaramoorthy D. Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms [Internet]. Vols. 1056-1057, Journal of Molecular Structure. 2014. p. 307–13. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014
29. Danda AK. Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010 Jul;68(7):1565–7.
30. Parthasarathy M, Isaac JoshuaRamesh Lalvani J, Dhinesh B, Annamalai K. Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2016 Dec;134(Pt 2):433–9.
32. Rajendran R, Kunjusankaran RN, Sandhya R, Anilkumar A, Santhosh R, Patil SR. Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study [Internet]. Vol. 19, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada. 2019. p. 1–10. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61
34. Neelakantan P, Cheng CQ, Mohanraj R, Sriraman P, Subbarao C, Sharma S. Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro. Int Endod J. 2015 Jun;48(6):602–10.
35. PradeepKumar AR, Shemesh H, Jothilatha S, Vijayabharathi R, Jayalakshmi S, Kishen A. Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study. J Endod. 2016 Aug;42(8):1175–80.
36. Sajan D, Udaya Lakshmi K, Erdogdu Y, Joe IH. Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2011 Jan;78(1):113–21.
38. Patil SB, Durairaj D, Suresh Kumar G, Karthikeyan D, Pradeep D. Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study. J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2017 Sep;16(3):312–21.
39. Jeevanandan G, Govindaraju L. Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial [Internet]. Vol. 19, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry. 2018. p. 273–8. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6
40. Abdul Wahab PU, Senthil Nathan P, Madhulaxmi M, Muthusekhar MR, Loong SC, Abhinav RP. Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy. J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2017 Sep;16(3):328–32.
41. Eapen BV, Baig MF, Avinash S. An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions. J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2017 Mar;16(1):48–52.
43. Wahab PUA, Madhulaxmi M, Senthilnathan P, Muthusekhar MR, Vohra Y, Abhinav RP. Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018 Jun;76(6):1160–4.
44. Vishnu Prasad S, Kumar M, Ramakrishnan M, Ravikumar D. Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India. Spec Care Dentist. 2018 Jan;38(1):58–9.
45. Uthrakumar R, Vesta C, Raj CJ, Krishnan S, Das SJ. Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method. Curr Appl Phys. 2010 Mar 1;10(2):548–52.
47. Neelakantan P, Sharma S, Shemesh H, Wesselink PR. Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis. J Endod. 2015 Jul;41(7):1108–11.
48. Bastiaan RJ. Denture sore mouth. Aetiological aspects and treatment [Internet]. Vol. 21, Australian Dental Journal. 1976. p. 375–82. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.1976.tb05091.x
49. Shulman JD, Rivera-Hidalgo F, Beach MM. Risk factors associated with denture stomatitis in the United States [Internet]. Vol. 34, Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine. 2005. p. 340–6. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2005.00287.x
50. Cankovic M, Bokor-Bratic M, Marinoski J, Stojanovic D. Prevalence and possible predictors of the occurence of denture stomatitis in patients older than 60 years [Internet]. Vol. 74, Vojnosanitetski pregled. 2017. p. 311–6. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.2298/vsp150104185c
51. Freitas JB, Gomez RS, de Abreu MHNG, Ferreira EFE. Relationship between the use of full dentures and mucosal alterations among elderly Brazilians [Internet]. Vol. 35, Journal of Oral Rehabilitation. 2008. p. 370–4. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2007.01782.x
52. Kulak-Ozkan Y, Kazazoglu E, Arikan A. Oral hygiene habits, denture cleanliness, presence of yeasts and stomatitis in elderly people [Internet]. Vol. 29, Journal of Oral Rehabilitation. 2002. p. 300–4. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.2002.00816.x
53. Aoun G, Cassia A. Evaluation of Denture-related Factors Predisposing to Denture Stomatitis in a Lebanese Population [Internet]. Vol. 28, Materia Socio Medica. 2016. p. 392. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5455/msm.2016.28.392-396
54. MacEntee MI, Glick N, Stolar E. Age, gender, dentures and oral mucosal disorders [Internet]. Vol. 4, Oral Diseases. 2008. p. 32–6. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.1998.tb00252.x
55. Jeganathan S, Payne JA, Thean HPY. Denture stomatitis in an elderly edentulous Asian population [Internet]. Vol. 24, Journal of Oral Rehabilitation. 2008. p. 468–72. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1997.tb00359.x
57. Gendreau L, Loewy ZG. Epidemiology and Etiology of Denture Stomatitis [Internet]. Vol. 20, Journal of Prosthodontics. 2011. p. 251–60. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-849x.2011.00698.x
58. Jainkittivong A, Aneksuk V, Langlais RP. Oral mucosal conditions in elderly dental patients [Internet]. Vol. 8, Oral Diseases. 2002. p. 218–23. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1034/j.1601-0825.2002.01789.x
59. Walker DM, Stafford GD, Huggett R, Newcombe RG. The treatment of denture-induced stomatitis. Evaluation of two agents [Internet]. Vol. 151, British Dental Journal. 1981. p. 416–9. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4804725
- Article View: 13
- PDF Download: 4