Enhancing Corporate Management - A Case of Saigon Hanoi Bank in Vietnam Under Impacts of Macro Indicators
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 781-789
AbstractBank is a special corporation and plays a vital role in economic circulation. In order to achieve sustainable bank management in emerging markets such as Vietnam, this paper measures bank management capabilities in famous model under impacts of both macro internal and external variables during low inflation time 2015-2020 in the country. During covid 19 and US-China commerce war, analyzing these impacts to have a netter management plans are necessary for commercial banks to respond to economic recession and impacts from trade war.
In recent years, research scholars link banking sustainability with CSR and community and environment; however this study takes another macro approach to banking sustainability. This research paper aims to figure out what are recommendations to management better bank performance to respond to fluctuation sin macro conditions under the case of one of big listed Vietnam commercial bank, Saigon Hanoi Bank (SHB) during the low inflation period 2015-2020 with stock price weekly data.
We use an econometric model with Eviews to estimate impacts from 9 macro variables on Beta CAPM. We find out that bank management team need to pay attention to macro contex in which increasing VNIndex and lending rate and Risk free rate.
Then, one of its major findings is the suggestion of macro and risk management policies for bank and relevant government agencies. Our recommendation can be used for reference in many other developing markets.
JEL classification numbers: M21, M1, G12, G30
- Adhikari. N. (2015). 'Determinants of Systemic Risk for Companies Listed on Nepal Stock Exchange', Global Journal of Management and Business Research: C Finance,vol.15, no.5, pp. 75-83.
- Ahmad, N., & Ramzan, M. (2016). Stock Market Volatility and Macroeconomic Factor Volatility, International Journal of Research in Business Studies and Management, 3(7), 37-44.
- 3. Ahmed, A., Ejaz, A., Ali, R., Ishfaq Ahmad, I. 2018. Sectoral integration and investment diversification opportunities: evidence from Colombo Stock Exchange. Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Issues, 5(3), 514-527. https://doi.org/10.9770/jesi.2018.5.3(8)
- Andersen, T.G., Bollerslev, T., Diebold, F.X., and Wu, J. (2005). 'A Framework for Exploring the Macroeconomic Determinants of Systematic Risk', Financial Economics, Macroeconomics, and Econometrics, vol.95. no.2, pp. 398-404.
- Arnes, S.K. (2014). 'Impact of Macroeconomic Indicators on Stock Market Performance: The Case of The Istanbul Stock Exchange', Master Thesis, Copenhagen Business School. Retrieved from:https://research-api.cbs.dk/ws/portalfiles/portal/58450158/sibel_arnes.pdf.
- Ahmad, N., and Ramzan, M. (2016). 'Stock Market Volatility and Macroeconomic Factor Volatility', International Journal of Research in Business Studies and Management, 3(7), 37-44. Ahmed, A., Ejaz, A., Ali, R., Ishfaq Ahmad, I. 2018. Sectoral integration and investment diversification opportunities: evidence from Colombo Stock Exchange. Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Issues, vol.5, no.3, pp. 514-527. https://doi.org/10.9770/jesi.2018.5.3(8)
- 7. Be, N.T, & Hung, B.Q. (2019). Sytematic risk in banking in stages of crisis, Finance Journal. Retrieved from: http://tapchitaichinh.vn/ngan-hang/rui-ro-he-thong-trong-hoat-dong-kinh-doanh-ngan-hang-o-cac-giai-doan-khung-hoang-302120.html
- Bohachova, O. (2008). 'The Impact of Macroeconomic Factors on Risks in the Banking Sector: A Cross-Country Empirical Assessment', IAW Discussion Papers 44, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Bowman, R.G. (1979). 'The Theoretical Relationship Between Systematic Risk and Financial (Accounting) Variables', The Journal of Finance, vol. 34, no.3, pp. 617-630.
- Butt, B.Z., Rehman, K.U. (2010). 'Do economic factors influence stock returns? A firm and industry level analysis', African Journal of Business Management, vol.4, no.5, pp. 583-593
- Celebi, K., and Honig, M. (2019). 'The Impact of Macroeconomic Factors on the German Stock Market: Evidence for the Crisis, Pre- and Post-Crisis Periods', International Journal of Financial Studies, vol.7, no.18. doi:10.3390/ijfs7020018
- Claudia, M.P., Sandra, E., and Esteban, P. (2010).'Macroeconomic factors and micro-level bank risk', Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies No 20/2010.
- Curran,M., and Velic, A. (2018). 'The CAPM, National Stock Market Betas, and Macroeconomic Covariates: A Global Analysis',Trinity Economics Papers 0618, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Emilios, A. 2015, 'Bank Leverage Ratios and Financial Stability: A Micro- and Macroprudential Perspective', Working Paper No.849, Levy Economics Institute
- Eugene FF, French KR. (2004). The Capital Asset Pricing Model: Theory and Evidence, Journal of Economic Perspectives.
- Gay, R.D. (2016). 'Effect Of Macroeconomic Variables On Stock Market Returns For Four Emerging Economies: Brazil, Russia, India, And China', International Business & Economics Research Journal, vol.15, no.3.
- Gizycki, M. (2001). 'The Effect Of Macroeconomic Conditions on Bank Risks and Profitability', Research Discussion Paper 2001-06,System Stability Department Reserve Bank of Australia. Retrieved from: https://www.rba.gov.au/publications/rdp/2001/pdf/rdp2001-06.pdf.
- Hojat, S. (2015). The Impact of Monetary Policy On the Stock Market, Doctoral dissertation, Walden University. Retrieved from: https://scholarworks.waldenu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2602&context=dissertations
- Hang, T.T.B., Nhung , D.T.H., Nhung, D.H., Huy, D.T.N., Hung, N.M. Dat, P.M. (2020). Where Beta is going – case of Viet Nam hotel, airlines and tourism company groups after the low inflation period. Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Issues, 7(3), 2282-2298. http://doi.org/10.9770/jesi.2020.7.3(55)
- Huong, N.T. (2017). Average rate of return theory of K.Marx and CAPM model, Finane Journal, truy cập tại <http://tapchitaichinh.vn/nghien-cuu-trao-doi/ly-thuyet-ty-suat-loi-nhuan-binh-quan-cua-k-marx-va-mo-hinh-dinh-gia-tai-san-von-132532.html > [date access 20/12/2020]
- Huy, D. T.N., Loan, B. T., and Anh, P. T. (2020). 'Impact of selected factors on stock price: a case study of Vietcombank in Vietnam', Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Issues, vol.7, no.4, pp. 2715-2730. https://doi.org/10.9770/jesi.2020.7.4(10)
- Huy, D. T.N., Dat, P. M., và Anh, P. T. (2020). 'Building and econometric model of selected factors’ impact on stock price: a case study', Journal of Security and Sustainability Issues, vol.9(M), pp. 77-93. https://doi.org/10.9770/jssi.2020.9.M(7)
- Huy D.T.N., Nhan V.K., Bich N.T.N., Hong N.T.P., Chung N.T., Huy P.Q. (2021). 'Impacts of Internal and External Macroeconomic Factors on Firm Stock Price in an Expansion Econometric model—A Case in Vietnam Real Estate Industry', Data Science for Financial Econometrics-Studies in Computational Intelligence, vol.898, Springer. http://doi-org-443.webvpn.fjmu.edu.cn/10.1007/978-3-030-48853-6_14
- Kumaresan, R. (2019). The Effects of Macroeconomics Factors towards the Starbucks Corporation, MPRA Paper No. 97243. Retrieved from:https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/97243/1/MPRA_paper_97243.pdf
- Loc, T.D., & Trang, D.T.H. (2014). 3 Fctor Fama-French model: Evidence from HOSE, Scientific Journal of Can Tho University, 32(4) : 61-68.
- Masood, O., Javaria, K., Petrenko, Y. 2020. Terrorism activities influence on financial stock markets: an empirical evidence from United Kingdom, India, France, Pakistan, Spain and America. Insights into Regional Development, 2(1), 443-455. https://doi.org/10.9770/IRD.2020.2.1(4)
- Milewicz, W. 2020. The influence of foreign investors on the development of Polish enterprises – a case study of the BPH bank. Enterpreneuship and Sustainability Issues 8(2), 829-839. http://doi.org/10.9770/jesi.2020.8.2(50)
- Nasr, A.K., Alaei, S., Bakhshi, F., Rasoulyan, F., Tayaran, H., Farahi, M. 2019. How enterprise risk management (erm) can affect on short-term and long-term firm performance: evidence from the Iranian banking system. Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Issues, 7(2), 1387-1403. http://doi.org/10.9770/jesi.2019.7.2(41)
- Nidar, S.R., Anwar, M., Komara, R., Layyinaturrobaniyah. 2020. Determinant of regional development bank efficiency for their sustainability issues. Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Issues, 8(1), 1133-1145. http://doi.org/10.9770/jesi.2020.8.1(76)
- Odhner, C.L., & Zachrisson, K. (2016). Monetary Policy Announcements and the Beta Risk Premium on Nasdaq OMX Stockholm, Master Thesis, Department of Economics, Lund University
- Okpamen, H., & Ogbeide, S.O. (2020). Board director reputation capital and financial performance of listed firms in Nigeria. Insights into Regional Development. Insights into Regional Development, 2(4), 765-773. http://doi.org/10.9770/IRD.2020.2.4(3)
- Patro, D.K., Wald, J., & Wu, Y. (2002). The Impact of Macroeconomic and Financial Variables on Market Risk: Evidence from International Equity Returns, European Financial Management, 8(4):421 - 447. DOI: 10.1111/1468-036X.00198
- Quan, V.D.H. (2012). Rủi ro hệ thống và vấn đề xác định hệ số bê-ta tại Việt Nam, Tạp chí tài chính, truy cập tại <http://tapchitaichinh.vn/nghien-cuu-trao-doi/rui-ro-he-thong-va-van-de-xac-dinh-he-so-beta-tai-viet-nam-1257.html> [Date access 20/12/2020]
- Quang, T.M., Minh, H.C., Linh, L.T.B., Thiem, N.H., & Tuyet, L.T. (2019). Factors affect stock return from perspective of 5 factor Fama-French model, Finance Journal. Retrieved from: http://tapchitaichinh.vn/kinh-te-vi-mo/yeu-to-tac-dong-den-ty-suat-sinh-loi-cua-co-phieu-niem-yet-nhin-tu-mo-hinh-5-nhan-to-fama-french-315676.html
- Sadeghzadeh, K. (2018). The effects of microeconomic factors on the stock market: A panel for the stock exchange in Istanbul ARDL analysis, Theoretical and Applied Economics Volume XXV, vol.3, no.616, pp. 113-134
- Sadia, S., and Noreen, A. (2012). Impact of Macroeconomic Factors on Banking Index in Pakistan, Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, vol.4, no.6, pp. 1200-1218.
- Saeed, S., and Akhter, N. (2016). Impact of Macroeconomic Factors on Banking Index in Pakistan, Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, vol.4, no.6.
- Singh, T., Mehta, S., and Versha, M.S. (2010). Macroeconomic factors and stock returns: Evidence from Taiwan, Journal of Economics and International Finance, vol.2, no.4, pp. 217-227
- Sinh, H., & Duc, N.K. (2012). Estimate Beta in firm valuation from theory to practice, Journal of Integration and Development, 4(14): 26-33.
- Siregar, E.I., and Diana. (2019). The Impact of Political Risk and Macro Economics on Stock Return at Indonesia Stock Exchange-An Approach of Arbritage Pricing Theory (APT), International Conference on Economics, Management, and Accounting (ICEMA), pp.744–772. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18502/kss.v3i26.5412
- Tahmidi, A. Westlund, S.A., & Sheludchenko, D. (2011). The Effect of Macroeconomic Variables on Market Risk Premium, Working paper, Mälardalen University. Retrieved from: https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:429080/FULLTEXT01.pdf
- Tomuleasa, I.I. (2015). 'Macroprudential policy and systemic risk: An overview', Procedia Economics and Finance, 20, pp.645 – 653
- Article View: 27
- PDF Download: 13