Leader-Member Exchange as a Moderator of the Relationship between Transformational Leadership and Organization Citizenship Behavior – A case of a multinational hypermarket in Erbil City.
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 800-807
AbstractThe purpose of this research is to develop a model in which the Leader-member Exchange theory works as a moderator between the Organizational Citizenship Behavior and practices of Transformational Leadership theory.
The sample was made up of 92 from managers and employees of Majid Al Futtaim Carrefour Iraq, which is a UAE-based leading retail company in the Middle East, operating in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. The researchers used a quantitative strategy by conducting a questionnaire of 26 items. To analyze the data, the researchers has used four analytical tools, descriptive analysis, normality distribution, reliability analysis, correlation Analysis, and regression Analysis to test the moderator.
In this study, the dependent variable is Organizational Citizenship Behavior, the independent variable is Transformational Leadership, and the moderator is Leader-member Exchange, which is believed to influence the relationship between the independent variable and dependent variable.
The findings of the study have evidenced through data analysis and interpretations that Leader-member Exchange as a moderator moderates the relationship between Transformational Leadership and Organizational Citizenship Behaviors to a full extent. The outcomes also suggest the manager who shows transformational leadership styles and establishes a good relationship with the employees, tends to result in better employee citizenship behavior.
1. Baron, R. M., & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator–mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of personality and social psychology, 51(6), 1173.
- Bass, B. M. (1990). From transactional to transformational leadership: Learning to share the vision. Organizational dynamics, 18(3), 19-31.
- Bass, B. M., & Bass Bernard, M. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectations. New York: Free Press.
- Basu, R., & Green, S. G. (1997). Leader‐member exchange and transformational leadership: an empirical examination of innovative behaviors in leader‐member dyads. Journal of applied social psychology, 27(6), 477-499.
- Bennis, W., & Nanus, B. (1985). Organizational learning: The management of the collective self. New Management, 3(1), 6-13.
- Burns, J. M. (1978). Leadership. New York: Open Road Media.
- Carless, S. A., Wearing, A. J., & & Mann, L. (2000). A short measure of transformational leadership. Journal of business and psychology, 14(3), 389-405.
- Chin, R. J. (2015). Examining teamwork and leadership in the fields of public administration, leadership, and management. Team Performance Management: An International Journal.
- Deluga, R. J. (1992). The relationship of leader-member exchange with laissez-faire, transactional, and transformational leadership in naval environments. Impact of leadership, 237-247.
- future., L.-m. e. (1997). Liden, R. C.; Sparrowe, R. T.; Wayne, S. J. Research in personnel and human resources management, 15, 47-120.
- Gerstner, C. R., & Day, D. V. (1997). Meta-Analytic review of leader–member exchange theory: Correlates and construct issues. Journal of applied psychology, 82(6), 827.
- Graen, G. B., & Uhl-Bien, M. (1995). Relationship-based approach to leadership: Development of Leader-membere Exchange theory of leadership over 25 years: Applying a multi-level multi-domain perspective. The Leadership Quarterly, 219-247.
- Graham, J. W. (1991). An essay on organizational citizenship behavior. Employee responsibilities and rights journal, 4(4), 249-270.
- Hackett, R. D., Farh, J. L., Song, L. J., & Lapierre, L. M. (2003). LMX and organizational citizenship behavior: Examining the links within and across Western and Chinese samples. Dealing with diversity, 219-263.
- Hinton, P. R. (2014). Statistics explained. Oxfordshire: Routledge.
- Howell, J. M., & Hall-Merenda, K. E. (1999). The ties that bind: The impact of leader-member exchange, transformational and transactional leadership, and distance on predicting follower performance. Journal of applied psychology, 84(5), 680.
- Koopmans, L. B., Hildebrandt, V., van Buuren, S., van der Beek, A. J., & de Vet, H. C. (2013). Development of an individual work performance questionnaire. International journal of productivity and performance management.
- Liden, R. C., & Maslyn, J. M. (1998). Multidimensionality of leader-member exchange: An empirical assessment through scale development. Journal of management, 24(1), 43-72.
- Lunenburg, F. C. (2010). Leader-member exchange theory: Another perspective on the leadership process. International Journal of Management, Business, and Administration, 13(1), 1-5.
- Organ, D. W. (1988). Organizational citizenship behavior: The good soldier syndrome. Lexington Books/DC Heath and Com.
- Podsakoff, P. M., MacKenzie, S. B., Moorman, R. H., & Fetter, R. (1990). Transformational leader behaviors and their effects on followers' trust in leader, satisfaction, and organizational citizenship behaviors. . The leadership quarterly,, 1(2), 107-142.
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P., & Thornhill, A. (2016). Research methods for business students (Seventh). Nueva York: Pearson Education.
- Smith, C. A., Organ, D. W., & Near, J. P. (1983). Organizational citizenship behavior: Its nature and antecedents. Journal of applied psychology, 68(4), 653.
- Tracey, J. B., & Hinkin, T. R. (1996). How transformational leaders lead in the hospitality industry. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 15(2), 165-176.
- Trofino, J. (1995). Transformational leadership in health care. Nursing Management, 26(8), 42.
- Wang, H., Law, K. S., Hackett, R. D., Wang, D., & Chen, Z. X. (2005). Leader-member exchange as a mediator of the relationship between transformational leadership and followers' performance and organizational citizenship behavior. Academy of management Journal, 48(3), 420-432.
- Zhang, Y., Liao, J., & Zhao, J. (2011). Research on the organizational citizenship behavior continuum and its consequences. Frontiers of Business Research in China, 5(3), 364-379.
- Article View: 179
- PDF Download: 118