Can The “New Normal” Cause Sleep Bruxism in Children-A Review
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2020, Volume 26, Issue 2, Pages 1143-1147
AbstractCOVID-19 has resulted in national lockdown in various countries which has resulted in most citizens of those countries to remain at home. With the lack of social interaction and increase of boredom, children are extremely prone to be irritated and agitated. This can result in bruxism which is clinically manifested by clenching of teeth. Though not life threatening, bruxism can result in various deleterious effects which can affect the quality of life of individuals. Many children who have bruxism have been known to continue the habit as they become adults, resulting in unwanted visits to the hospital. This can be possible only if doctors, parents and children have knowledge about bruxism. With stress and strain increasing during the spread of COVID-19, there is a high chance that most practioners and parents have missed out in identifying bruxism in children. Parents themselves have been found to be anxious and occupied with “work at home” which can result in them being occupied and paying less attention to their children as the workspace and home space have been merged into one area which was not so common before the emergence of COVID-19. Hence this review was undertaken to illustrate how various factors which have become the ‘new normal’ due to COVID-19 can result in sleep bruxism in children
- Srinivasan Raj Samuel, Mebin George Mathew, Sushanthi G Suresh et al., Pediatric dental emergency management and parental treatment preferences during COVID-19 pandemic as compared to 2019, Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sjbs.2021.02.002
- Suguna S, Gurunathan D. Quality of life of children with sleep bruxism. J Family Med Prim Care 2020;9:332-6
- Deepa Gurunathan, Nivedhitha MS, Joyson Moses, Mahesh Ramakrishnan. Craniofacial Features Among Children With Bruxism: A Systematic Review. Int J Dentistry Oral Sci. 2019; S9:02:002:5-11.
- Shah K, Mann S, Singh R, Bangar R, Kulkarni R. Impact of COVID-19 on the mental health of children and adolescents. Cureus. (2020) 12:e10051. 10.7759/cureus.10051
- Deepa Gurunathan, Deeksheetha, Nivedhitha, Joyson Moses, Mahesh Ramakrishnan. Impact Of Physical Activity and Screen Time On Occurrence Of Bruxism In Children - A Cross-Sectional Study. Int J Dentistry Oral Sci. 2021;08(03):1708-1715.
- Wang G., Zhang Y., Zhao J., Zhang J., Jiang F. Mitigate the effects of home confinement on children during the COVID-19 outbreak. Lancet. 2020;395:945–947.
- Miller, J.J., Cooley, M.E. & Mihalec-Adkins, B.P. Examining the Impact of COVID-19 on Parental Stress: A Study of Foster Parents. Child Adolesc Soc Work J (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10560-020-00725-w
- Dellagiulia A, Lionetti F, Fasolo M, Verderame C, Sperati A, Alessandri G. Early impact of COVID-19 lockdown on children’s sleep: a 4-week longitudinal study. J Clin Sleep Med. 2020;16(9):1639–1640.
- Deepa Gurunathan, Nivedhitha MS, Joyson Moses, Mahesh Ramakrishnan. Influence of Mother’s Working Status on Occurrence of Bruxism in Children. Int J Dentistry Oral Sci. 2021;08(03):1716-1719.
- Bailey D.E., Kurland N.B. A review of telework research: Findings, new directions, and lessons for the study of modern work. J. Organ. Behav. Int. J. Ind. Occup. Organ. Psychol. Behav. 2002;23:383–400. doi: 10.1002/job.144
- Francisco R, Pedro M, Delvecchio E, Espada JP, Morales A, Mazzeschi C and Orgilés M (2020) Psychological Symptoms and Behavioral Changes in Children and Adolescents During the Early Phase of COVID-19 Quarantine in Three European Countries. Front. Psychiatry 11:570164. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2020.570164
- M. Garcia, S. Lawrence, K. Brazendaleet al., Brief report: The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on health behaviors inadolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Disability and Health Journal, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dhjo.2020.101021
- Stieger S, Lewetz D, Swami V. Psychological well-being under conditions of lockdown: an experience sampling study in Austria during the COVID-19 pandemic. PsyArXiv Preprints. 2020. 10.31234/osf.io/qjhfp.
- Nitschke JP, Forbes P, Ali N, Cutler J, Apps MAJ, Lockwood P, Lamm C. Resilience during uncertainty? Greater social connectedness during COVID-19 lockdown is associated with reduced distress and fatigue. Br J Health Psychol. 2020. 10.1111/bjhp.12485.
- Agent on the Surface Roughness of a Tissue Conditioner Subjected to Cleansing and Disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In Vitro Study.” Contemporary Clinical Dentistry. https://doi.org/10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, Kamal, Ridhima Wadhwa, Gautam Singhvi, Vamshikrishna Rapalli, Shakti Dhar Shukla, Madhur D. Shastri, Gaurav Gupta, et al. 2019. “The Potential of siRNA Based Drug Delivery in Respiratory Disorders: Recent Advances and Progress.” Drug Development Research 80 (6): 714–30.
- Duraisamy, Revathi, Chitra Shankar Krishnan, Hariharan Ramasubramanian, Jayakrishnakumar Sampathkumar, Saravanakumar Mariappan, and Azhagarasan Navarasampatti Sivaprakasam. 2019. “Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments.” Implant Dentistry 28 (3): 289–95.
- Ezhilarasan, Devaraj. 2018. “Oxidative Stress Is Bane in Chronic Liver Diseases: Clinical and Experimental Perspective.” Arab Journal of Gastroenterology: The Official Publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology 19 (2): 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, Devaraj, Velluru S. Apoorva, and Nandhigam Ashok Vardhan. 2019. “Syzygium Cumini Extract Induced Reactive Oxygen Species-Mediated Apoptosis in Human Oral Squamous Carcinoma Cells.” Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine: Official Publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology 48 (2): 115–21.
- Ezhilarasan, Devaraj, Etienne Sokal, and Mustapha Najimi. 2018. “Hepatic Fibrosis: It Is Time to Go with Hepatic Stellate Cell-Specific Therapeutic Targets.” Hepatobiliary & Pancreatic Diseases International: HBPD INT 17 (3): 192–97.
- Gheena, S., and D. Ezhilarasan. 2019. “Syringic Acid Triggers Reactive Oxygen Species-Mediated Cytotoxicity in HepG2 Cells.” Human & Experimental Toxicology 38 (6): 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C., S. R. Xavier Rajarathinam, A. Mohammed Sadiq, and S. Rajeshkumar. 2020. “Anticancer Activity of Silver Nanoparticles Synthesized Using Aqueous Fruit Shell Extract of Tamarindus Indica on MCF-7 Human Breast Cancer Cell Line.” Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Jeevanandan, G., and L. Govindaraju. 2018. “Clinical Comparison of Kedo-S Paediatric Rotary Files vs Manual Instrumentation for Root Canal Preparation in Primary Molars: A Double Blinded Randomised Clinical Trial.” European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, Pradeep Christopher, Thenaruvi Marimuthu, Krithika C, Poorna Devadoss, and Santhosh M. Kumar. 2018. “Prevalence and Measurement of Anterior Loop of the Mandibular Canal Using CBCT: A Cross Sectional Study.” Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research 20 (4): 531–34.
- Malli Sureshbabu, Nivedhitha, Kathiravan Selvarasu, Jayanth Kumar V, Mahalakshmi Nandakumar, and Deepak Selvam. 2019. “Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases.” Case Reports in Dentistry 2019 (January): 7046203.
- Mehta, Meenu, Deeksha, Devesh Tewari, Gaurav Gupta, Rajendra Awasthi, Harjeet Singh, Parijat Pandey, et al. 2019. “Oligonucleotide Therapy: An Emerging Focus Area for Drug Delivery in Chronic Inflammatory Respiratory Diseases.” Chemico-Biological Interactions 308 (August): 206–15.
- Menon, Soumya, Shrudhi Devi Ks, R. Santhiya, S. Rajeshkumar, and Venkat Kumar S. 2018. “Selenium Nanoparticles: A Potent Chemotherapeutic Agent and an Elucidation of Its Mechanism.” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Panchal, V., G. Jeevanandan, and E. M. G. Subramanian. 2019. “Comparison of Post-Operative Pain after Root Canal Instrumentation with Hand K-Files, H-Files and Rotary Kedo-S Files in Primary Teeth: A Randomised Clinical Trial.” European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry: Official Journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry 20 (5): 467–72.
- Prabakar, Jayashri, Joseph John, I. Meignana Arumugham, R. Pradeep Kumar, and D. Srisakthi. 2018. “Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial.” Contemporary Clinical Dentistry 9 (Suppl 2): S233–39.
- Rajendran, Ratheesh, Radhakrishnan Nair Kunjusankaran, Raghu Sandhya, Aadit Anilkumar, Rakhi Santhosh, and Santosh Rayagouda Patil. 2019. “Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study.” Pesquisa Brasileira Em Odontopediatria E Clínica Integrada. https://doi.org/10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S., S. Venkat Kumar, Arunachalam Ramaiah, Happy Agarwal, T. Lakshmi, and Selvaraj Mohana Roopan. 2018. “Biosynthesis of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles usingMangifera Indica Leaves and Evaluation of Their Antioxidant and Cytotoxic Properties in Lung Cancer (A549) Cells.” Enzyme and Microbial Technology 117 (October): 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S., Soumya Menon, S. Venkat Kumar, Murtaza M. Tambuwala, Hamid A. Bakshi, Meenu Mehta, Saurabh Satija, et al. 2019. “Antibacterial and Antioxidant Potential of Biosynthesized Copper Nanoparticles Mediated through Cissus Arnotiana Plant Extract.” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology. B, Biology 197 (August): 111531.
- Ramakrishnan, Mahesh, R. Dhanalakshmi, and E. M. G. Subramanian. 2019. “Survival Rate of Different Fixed Posterior Space Maintainers Used in Paediatric Dentistry - A Systematic Review.” The Saudi Dental Journal 31 (2): 165–72.
- Samuel, Srinivasan Raj, Shashidhar Acharya, and Jeevika Chandrasekar Rao. 2020. “School Interventions-Based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-Year-Old Children from Very Low Socioeconomic Status: Two-Year Randomized Trial.” Journal of Public Health Dentistry 80 (1): 51–60.
- Sharma, Parvarish, Meenu Mehta, Daljeet Singh Dhanjal, Simran Kaur, Gaurav Gupta, Harjeet Singh, Lakshmi Thangavelu, et al. 2019. “Emerging Trends in the Novel Drug Delivery Approaches for the Treatment of Lung Cancer.” Chemico-Biological Interactions 309 (August): 108720.
- Varghese, Sheeja Saji, Asha Ramesh, and Deepak Nallaswamy Veeraiyan. 2019. “Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students.” Journal of Dental Education 83 (4): 445–50.
- Vishnu Prasad, S., Madan Kumar, Mahesh Ramakrishnan, and Dhanalakshmi Ravikumar. 2018. “Report on Oral Health Status and Treatment Needs of 5-15 Years Old Children with Sensory Deficits in Chennai, India.” Special Care in Dentistry: Official Publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry 38 (1): 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. Abdul, Marimuthu Madhulaxmi, Periyasamy Senthilnathan, Marimuthu Ramaswamy Muthusekhar, Yogaen Vohra, and Rajendra Prabhu Abhinav. 2018. “Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study.” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: Official Journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons 76 (6): 1160–64.
- Article View: 118
- PDF Download: 178