Knowledge and Awareness of Fluoride Releasing Dental Materials
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2020, Volume 26, Issue 2, Pages 1405-1414
AbstractAim: The aim of the study is to create awareness about fluoride releasing dental materials.
Introduction: Fluoride was introduced in dentistry over 70 years ago and it is now recognised as the main factor responsible for the dramatic decline in caries prevalence that has been recorded and observed worldwide. The effect of fluoride on demineralisation and remineralisation of incipient caries lesion in enamel and dentin is recognised as the most important mechanism of fluoride action.
Materials and method: The sample size of the study was about 300 participants of undergraduate dental students. A set of questionnaires is being created by the use of google form software, the data collection software score and represent the participants answer in pie chart.
Result: After getting statistical analysis results. It is clear that people were moderately aware about the fluoride releasing dental materials.
Conclusion: The report had concluded about the role of fluoride releasing dental materials and its property of increasing the efficiency of caries control and preventing biofilm formation. From the limitations of the survey, students were moderately aware about the fluoride releasing dental materials.
- Attar, N. and Onen, A. (2002) ‘Fluoride release and uptake characteristics of aesthetic restorative materials’, Journal of oral rehabilitation, 29(8), pp. 791–798.
- Bansal, R. (2015) ‘A Comparative Evaluation of the Amount of Fluoride Release and Re- Release after Recharging from Aesthetic Restorative Materials: An in Vitro Study’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2015/11926.6278.
- Chandrasekar, R. et al. (2020) ‘Development and validation of a formula for objective assessment of cervical vertebral bone age’, Progress in orthodontics, 21(1), p. 38.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dionysopoulos, P., Kotsanos, N. and Pataridou, A. (2003) ‘Fluoride release and uptake by four new fluoride releasing restorative materials’, Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, pp. 866–872. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2842.2003.00993.x.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Featherstone, J. D. B. (2000) ‘THE SCIENCE AND PRACTICE OF CARIES PREVENTION’, The Journal of the American Dental Association, pp. 887–899. doi: 10.14219/jada.archive.2000.0307.
- Gao, W. and Smales, R. J. (2001) ‘Fluoride release/uptake of conventional and resin-modified glass ionomers, and compomers’, Journal of dentistry, 29(4), pp. 301–306.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Glasspoole, E. A., Erickson, R. L. and Davidson, C. L. (2001) ‘Demineralization of enamel in relation to the fluoride release of materials’, American journal of dentistry, 14(1), pp. 8–12.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Hicks, J. et al. (2000) ‘Compomer materials and secondary caries formation’, American journal of dentistry, 13(5), pp. 231–234.
- Hicks, J. et al. (2002) ‘Fluoride-releasing restorative materials and secondary caries’, Dental Clinics of North America, pp. 247–276. doi: 10.1016/s0011-8532(01)00004-0.
- Janani, K., Palanivelu, A. and Sandhya, R. (2020) ‘Diagnostic accuracy of dental pulse oximeter with customized sensor holder, thermal test and electric pulp test for the evaluation of pulp vitality - An in vivo study’, Brazilian Dental Science. doi: 10.14295/bds.2020.v23i1.1805.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jose, J., P., A. and Subbaiyan, H. (2020) ‘Different Treatment Modalities followed by Dental Practitioners for Ellis Class 2 Fracture – A Questionnaire-based Survey’, The Open Dentistry Journal, pp. 59–65. doi: 10.2174/1874210602014010059.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kumar, D. and Delphine Priscilla Antony, S. (2018) ‘Calcified Canal and Negotiation-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3727. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00683.2.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Manohar, M. and Sharma, S. (2018) ‘A survey of the knowledge, attitude, and awareness about the principal choice of intracanal medicaments among the general dental practitioners and nonendodontic specialists’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 716. doi: 10.4103/ijdr.ijdr_716_16.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary molars: Randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, pp. 1–6.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Mitra, S. B. et al. (2011) ‘Fluoride release and recharge behavior of a nano-filled resin-modified glass ionomer compared with that of other fluoride releasing materials’, American journal of dentistry, 24(6), pp. 372–378.
- Nasim, I. et al. (2018) ‘Clinical performance of resin-modified glass ionomer cement, flowable composite, and polyacid-modified resin composite in noncarious cervical lesions: One-year follow-up’, Journal of Conservative Dentistry, p. 510. doi: 10.4103/jcd.jcd_51_18.
- Nasim, I. and Nandakumar, M. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of grape seed and cranberry extracts in preventing enamel erosion: An optical emission spectrometric analysis’, Journal of Conservative Dentistry, p. 516. doi: 10.4103/jcd.jcd_110_18.
- Noor, S. S. S. E., S Syed Shihaab and Pradeep (2016) ‘Chlorhexidine: Its properties and effects’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1755. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00353.x.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramamoorthi, S., Nivedhitha, M. S. and Divyanand, M. J. (2015) ‘Comparative evaluation of postoperative pain after using endodontic needle and EndoActivator during root canal irrigation: A randomised controlled trial’, Australian endodontic journal: the journal of the Australian Society of Endodontology Inc, 41(2), pp. 78–87.
- Ramanathan, S. and Solete, P. (2015) ‘Cone-beam Computed Tomography Evaluation of Root Canal Preparation using Various Rotary Instruments: An in vitro Study’, The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, pp. 869–872. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10024-1773.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ramesh, S., Teja, K. and Priya, V. (2018) ‘Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene expression in inflammation: A molecular study’, Journal of Conservative Dentistry, p. 592. doi: 10.4103/jcd.jcd_154_18.
- Ravinthar, K. and Jayalakshmi (2018) ‘Recent Advancements in Laminates and Veneers in Dentistry’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 785. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00148.8.
- R, H. et al. (2020) ‘CYP2 C9 polymorphism among patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma and its role in altering the metabolism of benzo[a]pyrene’, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, pp. 306–312. doi: 10.1016/j.oooo.2020.06.021.
- R, R., Rajakeerthi, R. and Ms, N. (2019) ‘Natural Product as the Storage medium for an avulsed tooth – A Systematic Review’, Cumhuriyet Dental Journal, pp. 249–256. doi: 10.7126/cumudj.525182.
- Samuel, S. R. (2021) ‘Can 5-year-olds sensibly self-report the impact of developmental enamel defects on their quality of life?’, International journal of paediatric dentistry / the British Paedodontic Society [and] the International Association of Dentistry for Children, 31(2), pp. 285–286.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Siddique, R. et al. (2019) ‘Qualitative and quantitative analysis of precipitate formation following interaction of chlorhexidine with sodium hypochlorite, neem, and tulsi’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 22(1), pp. 40–47.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Teja, K. V. and Ramesh, S. (2020) ‘Is a filled lateral canal – A sign of superiority?’, Journal of Dental Sciences. doi: 10.1016/j.jds.2020.02.009.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J., Smiline Girija, A. S. and Paramasivam, A. (2018) ‘In silico analysis of virulence genes in an emerging dental pathogen A. baumannii and related species’, Archives of oral biology, 94, pp. 93–98.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Wiegand, A., Buchalla, W. and Attin, T. (2007) ‘Review on fluoride-releasing restorative materials—Fluoride release and uptake characteristics, antibacterial activity and influence on caries formation’, Dental Materials, pp. 343–362. doi: 10.1016/j.dental.2006.01.022.
- Article View: 6
- PDF Download: 5