Diabetes Mellitus Related Knowledge and Awareness - A Survey Among Dental Students
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2020, Volume 26, Issue 2, Pages 1582-1594
AbstractIntroduction: Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder, which is a high risk factor for periodontal disease. Diabetes mellitus and periodontal disease shows bidirectional relationship. Oral health professionals to treat asymptomatic patients with undiagnosed diabetes mellitus. Diabetes mellitus is characterized by polyuria, polydipsia and weight loss. Diabetes will cause delayed wound healing. Management of diabetes mellitus is to delay microvascular and macrovascular complications.
Aim: To study the knowledge and awareness of diabetes mellitus among dental students.
Material and Method: A questionnaire-based study was conducted among 310 students of Saveetha Dental College, Chennai.
Results and Discussion: The obtained results showed that dental students are aware, but still have to gain some knowledge about diabetes mellitus. 89.4% say to check Blood Sugar level before any dental surgical procedure. Only 3.9% were aware of HbA1C blood investigation. 72.9% says that there is a bidirectional relationship between DM and periodontitis. 65.8% of dental students were aware of symptoms of diabetes mellitus.
Conclusion: Within the limitations of the study we can conclude that there is an adequate level of awareness about diabetes mellitus among dental students. The dental students lack knowledge about the risk factors associated with diabetes mellitus such as obesity and they are not aware of certain blood investigations for diabetes mellitus such as HbA1C.
- Abigail et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of Muscular Endurance among Dentists’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, p. 258. doi: 10.5958/0976-5506.2019.02808.0.
- Akhter, C. H. (no date) ‘Knowledge and self-care practice regarding diabetes among Bangladeshi type 2 diabetics subjects’. doi: 10.26226/morressier.59d5184ed462b80296ca2b7d.
- Baheerati, M. M. and Gayatri Devi, R. (2018) ‘Obesity in relation to Infertility’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3183. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00585.1.
- Bhansali, A., Chattopadhyay, A. and Dash, R. J. (2003) ‘Mortality in diabetes: a retrospective analysis from a tertiary care hospital in North India’, Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, pp. 119–124. doi: 10.1016/s0168-8227(03)00013-5.
- C, B. et al. (2017) ‘Assessment of knowledge related to diabetes mellitus among patients attending a dental college in Salem city-A cross sectional study’, Brazilian Dental Science. doi: 10.14295/bds.2017.v20i3.1437.
- Chandrasekar, R. et al. (2020) ‘Development and validation of a formula for objective assessment of cervical vertebral bone age’, Progress in orthodontics, 21(1), p. 38.
- Choudhari, S. and Jothipriya, M. A. (2016) ‘Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1782. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00360.7.
- Courtney, R. (2015) ‘The Health Consequences of Smoking-50 Years of Progress: A Report of the Surgeon General, 2014Us Department of Health and Human Services Atlanta, GA: Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for’, Drug and Alcohol Review, pp. 694–695. doi: 10.1111/dar.12309.
- Coustan, D. R. (2012) ‘Point: The American Diabetes Association and the International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Groups Recommendations for Diagnosing Gestational Diabetes Should Be Used Worldwide’, Clinical Chemistry, pp. 1094–1097. doi: 10.1373/clinchem.2012.186239.
- Dave, P. H. and Preetha (2016) ‘Pathogenesis and Novel Drug for Treatment of Asthma-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1519. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00297.3.
- David et al. (2019) ‘Physical Fitness among the Dental Physician, Dental Undergraduates and Postgraduates Students’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, p. 223. doi: 10.5958/0976-5506.2019.02801.8.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Erasmus, R. T. et al. (2012) ‘High prevalence of diabetes mellitus and metabolic syndrome in a South African coloured population: Baseline data of a study in Bellville, Cape Town’, South African Medical Journal, p. 841. doi: 10.7196/samj.5670.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Fatema, K. et al. (2017) ‘Knowledge attitude and practice regarding diabetes mellitus among Nondiabetic and diabetic study participants in Bangladesh’, BMC Public Health. doi: 10.1186/s12889-017-4285-9.
- Fathima, F. and Preetha, P. (2016) ‘EVALUATION OF THYROID FUNCTION TEST IN OBESE PATIENTS’, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, p. 353. doi: 10.22159/ajpcr.2016.v9s3.12959.
- Fejfarová, V. et al. (2014) ‘Does the Diabetic Foot Have a Significant Impact on Selected Psychological or Social Characteristics of Patients with Diabetes Mellitus?’, Journal of Diabetes Research, pp. 1–7. doi: 10.1155/2014/371938.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Glick, M. and Greenberg, B. L. (2005) ‘The potential role of dentists in identifying patients’ risk of experiencing coronary heart disease events’, The Journal of the American Dental Association, pp. 1541–1546. doi: 10.14219/jada.archive.2005.0084.
- Goh, S. G. K., Rusli, B. N. and Khalid, B. A. K. (2015) ‘Diabetes quality of life perception in a multiethnic population’, Quality of Life Research, pp. 1677–1686. doi: 10.1007/s11136-014-0885-3.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Gul, N. (2010) ‘Knowledge, attitudes and practices of type 2 diabetic patients’, Journal of Ayub Medical College, Abbottabad: JAMC, 22(3), pp. 128–131.
- Harsha, L. et al. (2015) ‘Systemic Approach to Management of Neonatal Jaundice and Prevention of Kernicterus’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1087. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2015.00189.4.
- Islam, F. M. A. et al. (2014) ‘Knowledge, Attitudes and Practice of Diabetes in Rural Bangladesh: The Bangladesh Population Based Diabetes and Eye Study (BPDES)’, PLoS ONE, p. e110368. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0110368.
- Iyer, P. K., Gayatri Devi, R. and Jothi Priya, A. (2019) ‘A Survey Study on Causes, Treatment and Prevention of Onychocryptosis’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, p. 807. doi: 10.5958/0976-5506.2019.01990.9.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Lalla, E. et al. (2013) ‘Dental Findings and Identification of Undiagnosed Hyperglycemia’, Journal of Dental Research, pp. 888–892. doi: 10.1177/0022034513502791.
- Lamster, I. B. et al. (2008) ‘The relationship between oral health and diabetes mellitus’, Journal of the American Dental Association , 139 Suppl, p. 19S–24S.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary molars: Randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, pp. 1–6.
- Mealey, B. L. and Rose, L. F. (2008) ‘Diabetes mellitus and inflammatory periodontal diseases’, Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity, pp. 135–141. doi: 10.1097/med.0b013e3282f824b7.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Memon, M. S. et al. (2014) ‘AN ASSESSMENT OF KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE AND PRACTICES (KAP) TOWARDS DIABETES AND DIABETIC RETINOPATHY IN A SUBURBAN TOWN OF KARACHI’, Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences. doi: 10.12669/pjms.311.6317.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Nathan, D. M. et al. (2009) ‘Medical Management of Hyperglycemia in Type 2 Diabetes: A Consensus Algorithm for the Initiation and Adjustment of Therapy: A consensus statement of the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes’, Diabetes Care, pp. 193–203. doi: 10.2337/dc08-9025.
- Nazir, S. U. R. et al. (2016) ‘Disease related knowledge, medication adherence and glycaemic control among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Pakistan’, Primary Care Diabetes, pp. 136–141. doi: 10.1016/j.pcd.2015.09.004.
- Neidell, M., Lamster, I. B. and Shearer, B. (2017) ‘Cost-effectiveness of diabetes screening initiated through a dental visit’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 45(3), pp. 275–280.
- Nthangeni, G. et al. (2002) ‘Dietary intake and barriers to dietary compliance in black type 2 diabetic patients attending primary health-care services’, Public Health Nutrition, pp. 329–338. doi: 10.1079/phn2002256.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Peer, N. et al. (2014) ‘Differing patterns of overweight and obesity among black men and women in Cape Town: the CRIBSA study’, PloS one, 9(9), p. e107471.
- Pisa, P. T., Vorster, H. H. and Nishida, C. (2017) ‘Cardiovascular disease and nutrition: The use of food-based dietary guidelines for prevention in Africa’, SA Heart. doi: 10.24170/8-1-1923.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Renuka, S. and Sethu, G. (2015) ‘Regeneration after Myocardial Infarction’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 738. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2015.00117.1.
- R, G. D. and Sethu, G. (2018) ‘EVALUATION OF ADENOIDS BY ORONASAL AND NASAL SPIROMETRY’, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, p. 272. doi: 10.22159/ajpcr.2018.v11i10.27365.
- R, H. et al. (2020) ‘CYP2 C9 polymorphism among patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma and its role in altering the metabolism of benzo[a]pyrene’, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, pp. 306–312. doi: 10.1016/j.oooo.2020.06.021.
- Rj, I. and R, G. D. (2016) ‘Role of environmental factors on sleep patterns of different age groups’, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, p. 124. doi: 10.22159/ajpcr.2016.v9i6.13832.
- Saaddine, J. B. et al. (2006) ‘Improvements in Diabetes Processes of Care and Intermediate Outcomes: United States, 1988–2002’, Annals of Internal Medicine, p. 465. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-144-7-200604040-00005.
- Saleh, F. et al. (2012) ‘Knowledge and self-care practices regarding diabetes among newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics in Bangladesh: a cross-sectional study’, BMC public health, 12, p. 1112.
- Samuel, A. R. and Devi, M. G. (2015) ‘Geographical distribution and occurrence of Endemic Goitre’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 973. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2015.00162.6.
- Samuel, S. R. (2021) ‘Can 5-year-olds sensibly self-report the impact of developmental enamel defects on their quality of life?’, International journal of paediatric dentistry / the British Paedodontic Society [and] the International Association of Dentistry for Children, 31(2), pp. 285–286.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Shruthi, M. and Preetha, S. (2018) ‘Effect of Simple Tongue Exercises in Habitual Snorers’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3614. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00665.0.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Swathy, S. and Gowri Sethu, V. (2015) ‘Acupuncture and lower back pain’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 991. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2015.00165.1.
- Tantipoj, C. et al. (2018) ‘Patients’ attitude toward diabetes mellitus screening in Thai dental clinics’, Journal of Health Research, pp. 2–11. doi: 10.1108/jhr-11-2017-001.
- Timothy, C. N., Gayatri Devi, R. and Jothi Priya, A. (2019) ‘Evaluation of Peak Expiratory Flow Rate (PEFR) in Pet Owners’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, p. 803. doi: 10.5958/0976-5506.2019.01989.2.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vijan, S. et al. (2005) ‘Barriers to following dietary recommendations in Type 2 diabetes’, Diabetic Medicine, pp. 32–38. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-5491.2004.01342.x.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J., Smiline Girija, A. S. and Paramasivam, A. (2018) ‘In silico analysis of virulence genes in an emerging dental pathogen A. baumannii and related species’, Archives of oral biology, 94, pp. 93–98.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Article View: 7
- PDF Download: 7